Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corruption moves so slowly and half depends on whether other people want to bribe you.. I just feel that it is not a viable path and if you get an arch card asking you to do that one, it is a harder endeavor... Otherwise the game is quite great. What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find Corruption is one of the harder ones, but it may depend on your local metagame. Currently Shares is viewed as one of the weakest goals.

Well you'll want to take charge of certain departments that are more likely to be bribed...

A+ Level:
Communications
Chairman

B Level:
HR

B- Level:
Development

C+ Level:
Accounting
Controlling

F Level:
Legal & Patents

You'll want to combine your bribes with your other tasks.
Bribing away Communications is always productive since the action replaces itself.

Bribing Chairperson is the most productive thing you can do if you have main departments.

HR is good if your goals are main departments, Influence, or Experience

Accounting is obviously good for Shares.

Controlling is useful for shares or main departments

Development is mainly good for hurting your opponents, but also useful for Main Departments, Influence, and experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Gomez
Canada
flag msg tools
I agree shares is the hardest goal, while I view corruption as the easiest to attain. That may just be the way we play, but bribing is an integral part of the game, so everyone always gets corruption. The other tracks are neglected if not on your secret goal, but never corruption. That's why I hate getting a secret goal without corruption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played that much, but in my group bribing is seen as quite risky. You might get the bonus, or get rejected, in which case all you did that turn is increase your corruption level, which takes too long to get to the green area. If you do get the bonus, then you might just lose it because of the department head resigning, which is more likely now that he also gets to screw with you.

I guess it's a metagame thing. Seems like some people consider corruption very weak, and others consider it very strong. I wonder if anybody considers it middle of the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OlorinsCousin wrote:
I agree shares is the hardest goal, while I view corruption as the easiest to attain. That may just be the way we play, but bribing is an integral part of the game, so everyone always gets corruption. The other tracks are neglected if not on your secret goal, but never corruption. That's why I hate getting a secret goal without corruption.

Shares were the easiest for us... Free extra money each round. It will take 8 actions to get corruption to green unless people bribe you... but they likely will not want to as you get closer to green yourself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
OlorinsCousin wrote:

Shares were the easiest for us... Free extra money each round. It will take 8 actions to get corruption to green unless people bribe you... but they likely will not want to as you get closer to green yourself...

Very little extra money. You spend 1.2M to get back another 200K over the course of the next two rounds? Not very efficient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reish Galuta wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
OlorinsCousin wrote:

Very little extra money. You spend 1.2M to get back another 200K over the course of the next two rounds? Not very efficient.

You don't need to spend that much.. Last game I bought a bunch of 4s and 3s... I was getting 600 a round at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:
You don't need to spend that much.. Last game I bought a bunch of 4s and 3s... I was getting 600 a round at the end of the game.

That just highlights how uncompetitive shares are. You spent 6 actions on buying shares, and even in a long game they would not have broken even money-wise unless you bought them with a bribed accounting.

For corruption, it's almost certain that you don't need to take all 9 actions yourself. More importantly, every successful bribe has tangible benefit (unlike shares) for reaching your other goals. A single action spent buying shares is a action that only advances you on that track. A single action spent on bribery will usually either give you a good jump on another goal, or another point of corruption as the role is bribed away from you.

The real value of shares is that it's perhaps the easiest goal to beat your nemesis in without needing to score a point on the track. So you can often replace the point in shares with a point in something else, which gives you more flexibility in planning.

If shares appear to be a good choice, perhaps your games are going on for too long? In my experience the game should usually last something like 12-14 turns (2-3 director's meetings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsnell wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

That just highlights how uncompetitive shares are. You spent 6 actions on buying shares, and even in a long game they would not have broken even money-wise unless you bought them with a bribed accounting.

For corruption, it's almost certain that you don't need to take all 9 actions yourself. More importantly, every successful bribe has tangible benefit (unlike shares) for reaching your other goals. A single action spent buying shares is a action that only advances you on that track. A single action spent on bribery will usually either give you a good jump on another goal, or another point of corruption as the role is bribed away from you.

The real value of shares is that it's perhaps the easiest goal to beat your nemesis in without needing to score a point on the track. So you can often replace the point in shares with a point in something else, which gives you more flexibility in planning.

If shares appear to be a good choice, perhaps your games are going on for too long? In my experience the game should usually last something like 12-14 turns (2-3 director's meetings).

My experience is exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.