Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife and I ran out to Costco to get dinner & snacks for a couple we invited to play a half-dozen family/party games for the evening. Neither of us wanted to prepare dinner because:

a) we were exhausted from the day
b) we wanted to get straight into gaming to maximize the evening. Having a casual dinner first would have cut into the gaming time by an hour.

Sure enough, we were perplexed at what to buy other than the frozen lasagna which we felt could be eaten with a fork and plate while playing our games which by the way were: Tsuro, Big Boggle, Taboo, Scattergories: The Card Game, Uno, Dixit, Time's Up Deluxe, Pit Deluxe, Old Testament Stories, and Apples to Apples. Each person would get to pick the next game, their choice until the evening ended. Our guests are not gamers per se. Ticket to Ride or Settlers of Catan are still too advanced for them. But they do enjoy playing simpler games with us. But I digress.

Drinks are easy to figure. We all enjoy beer, wine, and martinis and we have plenty of that to serve.

I also know well enough to stay away from Cheetos. So what works and doesn't work with you when you are hosting a game night with one or two other couples at your home?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and easy finger type foods is probably best. Small sandwiches, sliced tortilla wrap/rollups, cheese, crackers, shrimp, fruit and veggies, chips and cookies if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
We are hosting a couple tomorrow night. I'm making Asparagi al Cartoccio. But no food goes near my games. Wine and beer splatters are fine, but I can't stand the idea of food going near a board game. So we do cut into the game night with a nice early dinner.

I understand not wanting to cook after a day of work, but here is an old recipe that always pleases:

1. Grill 12 Italian sausages (in casings) until nicely browned (6 hot, 6 sweet).

2. Put a three inch slice along each sausage once cooked.

3. [brace yourself] Place cooked sausages in a three- or four-quart pot, poor in six bottles of honey brown ale and one stick of butter. Simmer.

4. Slice 12 Portugese rolls and arrange on plate next to simmering sausages.

5. Proffer tongs next to plate of rolls.

5. Let sausages simmer in magical beer-butter broth until devoured by guests.

I once saw these sausages bring a vegan to his knees. A good friend. I helped him up and he continued to devour the creation.

All kidding aside, I serve this for our group for maybe half of our gatherings. It is simple to make. It is satisfying. It is not messy. And anyone can easily get up from a game and go to the kitchen for a great sandwich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizza. Easy to serve, easy to eat, just make sure there are napkins to clean fingers before touching the game pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bennett
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
We used to have pizza but I got tired of picking pepperoni and cheeze off the minis at the end of the night. Chips make the card sleeves kinda messy. Now we just take a small munchie break between games or in the middle of a long one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McCarroll
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
Check out my reviews at www.nerdbloggers.com
badge
Hi!
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to avoid Best Foods, as it can get slathered all over the peices. Especially when playing Pandemic, adding salmonella as an extra disease makes the game unplayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flabbergasted Rhino
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
Get Schwifty
mbmbmbmbmb
My old gaming group back home consists of some fairly large guys with less than healthy eating habits. I warn you, serve nothing cabbagey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The spanakopita from Costco has never failed me. Not only are they easy to prepare in the oven, but they are rather delicious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamtastic wrote:

The spanakopita from Costco has never failed me. Not only are they easy to prepare in the oven, but they are rather delicious!

That's an excellent suggestion Bryan. This keeps things simple and clean. I worry about chips and dip where the possibility of salsa, for example, can accidentally splash on the gameboard or a set of cards.

Another annoying trait I see are guests who like to lick their fingers clean rather than use napkins which are plentifully supplied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.