Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan
Germany
München (Munich)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!
Will this game be available for purchase at the Essen fair next month?
Since there are not much infos about the game play at the moment: could you be so kind to tell something about the gameplay? Or can we download the rules for it somewhere?
Thanks for answering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this game will be available at Essen. It's essentially a horse racing game where you purchase ownership in various horses, race them in 4 major races and try to come out with the most money in the end. You make money by betting on the horses and by owning the winning horses. Quick, plays in an hour or less and lots of exciting racing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis S.
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looking forward for more info about this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:
Yes, this game will be available at Essen. It's essentially a horse racing game where you purchase ownership in various horses, race them in 4 major races and try to come out with the most money in the end. You make money by betting on the horses and by owning the winning horses. Quick, plays in an hour or less and lots of exciting racing.

How does it compare to Long Shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both games, but they are definitely different.

To start, Homestretch is less complex and easier to learn. It's a bit less strategic overall and races in Homestretch can be a tad more volatile. Both games can be played in an hour or less.

In Long Shot, one player owns a horse. In Homestretch, horse ownership can be split with as many as 3 players.

Long Shot has one race. In Homestretch you play through four. The quickness of Homestretch races seems to promote more excited yelling and interaction from the players exhorting their horses to hurry up and make it across the finish line. It's a somewhat less sedate play experience in that respect.

There is less outside influence during a race in Homestretch that you see in Long Shot due to the effect of the cards. But in both games, the players can affect the outcome of the race. The strategy in Homestretch revolves around buying a good mix of horses, lucky rolls, choosing the right moves in the races and of course in placing your bets. The strategy in Long Shot revolves similarly around good bet placement and lucky rolls and adds clever play of your cards to maximize preferred movement.

Long Shot plays 3-8 players whereas Homestretch works in 2-6.
Long Shot races 10 horses, Homestretch races 11.
Long Shot uses paper money, Homestretch employs a score track around the board to track each players' holdings.

Both games utilize cards to introduce variety in the game, Long Shot via the 'Long Shot' action cards and the individual horse cards, Homestretch via its Racetrack cards which alter the race purse values and the handicaps of the horses in each race.

Both games use a method of fixed odds to determine bet payout with variable betting amounts and fixed betting maximums.

Both games have high quality components and look nice. One extra plus with Homestretch is that you don't have to sticker anything, the horse figurines are already numbered.

We'll be playing the game in the booth at Essen for people who want to try it out.

Hope that helps!
Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Byrens
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest problem with Long Shot is that you can bet during the race, which as any fan of horse racing will tell you, is completely ridiculous! Looking forward to Homestretch - it's a great sport, but sadly very few games capture the essence. If the game can produce the way 1st and Goal did for football, you have a winner. Fingers crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
civplayer wrote:
My biggest problem with Long Shot is that you can bet during the race, which as any fan of horse racing will tell you, is completely ridiculous!

Especially if they have ever seen The Sting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, no betting in Homestretch once the race starts.

civplayer wrote:
My biggest problem with Long Shot is that you can bet during the race, which as any fan of horse racing will tell you, is completely ridiculous! Looking forward to Homestretch - it's a great sport, but sadly very few games capture the essence. If the game can produce the way 1st and Goal did for football, you have a winner. Fingers crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
civplayer wrote:

As one of the playtesters, I think you will be very happy!

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
civplayer wrote:
My biggest problem with Long Shot is that you can bet during the race, which as any fan of horse racing will tell you, is completely ridiculous!

I'm not sure why you say that. Perhaps the Betfair site is not available in your country? Betting during the race is perfectly possible using Betfair and other betting exchanges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No wagering allowed once the horses have left the gate over here and I definitely prefer it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for this looks great. I believe it is a game I will get horse racing fans as well as people who just love good games to play. Some horse racing understanding is helpful but not necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Collins

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
Think of the in-race betting as a substitute for a racing form. You're getting "information" make your bet. After all, it doesn't bother us that we're owning and racing and betting all at the same time. IT'S A GAME! I like both these games for their gambling and random elements but my favorite horse racing game is Turf Master which has no betting at all. Quite different but oh so good with the steeple chase optional rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.