2 Posts

Warhammer 40,000 (sixth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: How do the various space marine armies stack up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Populi
msg tools
mb
I know this is probably a common question that has been addressed elsewhere, but I have not been able to find a comprehensive answer.

How do the various SM chapters compare (Ultramarines, Blood Angles, Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Black Templars,and Space Wolves)?. What about the non-Codex marines, such as the Imperial Fists, Salamanders, White Scars, etc? Are they simply paint schemes, or are there meaningful differences?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
RexPopuli wrote:
I know this is probably a common question that has been addressed elsewhere, but I have not been able to find a comprehensive answer.

How do the various SM chapters compare (Ultramarines, Blood Angles, Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Black Templars,and Space Wolves)?. What about the non-Codex marines, such as the Imperial Fists, Salamanders, White Scars, etc? Are they simply paint schemes, or are there meaningful differences?

Thanks

Basically, you've got all the vanilla Space Marine Chapters that use Codex: Space Marines. The Ultramarines are the standard for C:SM, though you can get special rules for the Salamanders, Raven Guard, etc by taking certain special characters in your army. Generally though, they are all quite similar and use 95% of the same rules. Vanilla Marine chapters are competitive and fun to play - they probably have more unit options than any other army in the game.

The Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Black Templars, and Space Wolves all have the same foundation as the C:SM Marines and use many of the same rules, same vehicles, and same stat lines, but each with their own twists. Space Wolves and Blood Angels both got 5th Edition codexes and are very competitive, probably with a slight edge to Space Wolves, though they are both good and both have some cool army specific models.

The Dark Angels and Black Templars are a lot older and have 4th Edition codexes. These armies are showing their age and have substantial weaknesses and limitations, though Dark Angels were featured in the 6th Edition Starter Box and are rumored to be the next 6th Edition Codex released (following Chaos Space Marines). Once the 6th Edition Dark Angels Codex comes out, they will also get a wave of cool new models and almost certainly be quite competitive. Rumor has it that the Black Templars may get rolled back into C:SM during 6th Edition though nothing is for sure yet. For the time being, both armies have playable builds, but with limitations, not a lot of options, and few Chapter specific models.

The Grey Knights are so different from other Marine Chapters that they play radically differently. Their Codex came near the end of 5th Edition and is very strong, so they are competitive and up to date. They just don't feel much like playing Space Marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.