Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Hi everyone,

I've played 3 solo games of First Reconnaissance now and I'm getting way more comfortable with the rules, but have just come across something that I wanted to clarify.

When initiating combat with a rampaging enemy, you are adjacent to a space. The same occurs for when you conquer a keep or mage tower. This makes sense because you can't occupy the space of a location you haven't defeated or conquered.

The question is with respect to ancient ruins and dungeons/monster dens/etc. Do you have to enter the space in order to combat an enemy? This would make sense for a monster den (because you actually have to enter it), but I wasn't sure about ancient ruins.

If a ruin tile was revealed (day) and you can see that there are two enemies that you have to defeat to get an artifact, can I initiate combat while adjacent to the space? All of the descriptions state that "While unconquered you can 'enter' the site" so I'm assuming that means you have to be on the actual space, but I wanted to make sure.

The answer would make a huge difference as you would need the additional movement to actually get in to the space and would need to potentially have the required cards.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You attack a Keep or Mage Tower by entering its space. You can't fight it from an adjacent space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, ruins are adventuring sites, and you must move onto the space and decide to enter the ruins in order to initiate combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
That's another missed rule…

Just when I thought that I was starting to get the hang of everything, I miss something basic like that.

I think that I'll play one more walkthrough to see if I can iron out the final kinks (I keep on forgetting the advanced action cards with monasteries) but then its on to Full Conquest!

Who would have thought that a game this frustrating could be soooooo much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XxaviorR wrote:
Who would have thought that a game this frustrating could be soooooo much fun.

There really is ALOT to keep track of in this game, I keep forgetting that I must move onto the hexes to attack keeps, towers and such but this has fast become one of my favorite games to play solo. I keep the board setup with a game that I play a turn or two at a time throughout the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a simple rule: Rampaging enemies are the only enemies that you fight from an adjacent space. All other enemies, (keep and mage tower defenders, city defenders, monastery defenders, adventure site defenders, and other players you attack in PvP) are fought in the space in which they are in.

You may never enter a hex containing a rampaging enemy. For other enemies, in some cases, you may coexist with the enemy in the same space before choosing to attack the enemy as your action (adventure site and monastery defenders). But when you enter a hostile keep, mage tower, city, or hex occupied by another player (with PvP on), you must initiate combat as your action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more clarification:

And those spaces (where you can stay with enemies) are called "Adventure sites". You have to announce you enter such "site" in order to fight there. You can't fight those enemies together with rampaging enemies. If your move provokes rampaging enemy you can't choose to enter "adventure site".

"Fortified sites" are those where you have to fight when you enter such space. And you can fight those enemies with rampaging enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
ZillaGod wrote:
I keep the board setup with a game that I play a turn or two at a time throughout the weekend.

My cat would love this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
ZillaGod wrote:
I keep the board setup with a game that I play a turn or two at a time throughout the weekend.

My cat would love this idea.

Lol, I'll bet! I have two large dogs so I make sure to keep the tabletop above tail swiping height and I'm all set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.