Subject: Basic critical hit question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CapeCod Gamer
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, dumb basic question. If a ship gets a critical damage hit, does it also suffer 1 hull or shield damage in addition to the critical damage card?

I did not see anything in the rule book saying a ship suffers hull or shield damage if it gets a critical hit, just the damage card is dealt face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't have the rulebook in front of me but one sentence says your damage total equals all damage cards...both face up and face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Page 16 under Destroying Ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
And you don't deal damage cards for hits that are absorbed by shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a little damage symbol on the fronts of the cards that looks just like the back to remind you of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So one shield token is discarded even for Critical hits?
After playing a few games, we felt that Critical hits should force you to discard two shield tokens, not the one like with regular hits.

This would also help speed up the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Casteel
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:
So one shield token is discarded even for Critical hits?
After playing a few games, we felt that Critical hits should force you to discard two shield tokens, not the one like with regular hits.

Then should the critical cards that deal 2 damage actually do three? Think of them as critical system damage, if a shield keeps it from hitting the hull, then it can't damage the ship, pilot, or systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Boromir_and_Kermit wrote:

Why would you want to speed up what is already possibly the fastest dogfight simulation there is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
Only have played a few games, crit hits really didn't come up that often. I think only twice.

I do think shields are a pretty big advantage if a crit only takes away a shield. Though this is partially muted by the fact that normal damage is take first, increasing the chance of crits hitting hull.

Though I also read that alot of the crit hit cards are more damaging on reb ships then imp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
dandirk wrote:
Only have played a few games, crit hits really didn't come up that often. I think only twice.

I do think shields are a pretty big advantage if a crit only takes away a shield. Though this is partially muted by the fact that normal damage is take first, increasing the chance of crits hitting hull.

Though I also read that alot of the crit hit cards are more damaging on reb ships then imp.

Possibly, after all you have to imagine they've balanced for critical hits being negated by shields. It's one of the big advantages of rebel ships over standard TIEs (they could have just had fewer shields and higher hull values if they'd wanted them to suffer more criticals, after all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rafael beltrame
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, im not so instructed about shileds as i thought..

if i get one hit and one crit on dice, and enemy have one shield left, does that cancel the normal hit or the crit hit first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Moberg
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rossik wrote:
ok, im not so instructed about shileds as i thought..

if i get one hit and one crit on dice, and enemy have one shield left, does that cancel the normal hit or the crit hit first?

Normal hits are applied first, then criticals. Page 13 of the rulebook under "7. Deal Damage".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mack Rhinelander
msg tools
If shields are present, a critical hit removes a shield, the card is never drawn (and therefore never resolved).

Rules of Play:

P. 13, "7. Deal Damage . . . For each damage or critical damage suffered, the ship must lose one shield token."

P. 15, Combat Phase Example, "15. Rookie Pilot suffers one critical damage . . . . The Rebel player reduces the X-wing's shields by removing one shield token from Rookie Pilot's card."

Mack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mrhinelander wrote:
If shields are present, a critical hit removes a shield, the card is never drawn (and therefore never resolved).

Rules of Play:

P. 13, "7. Deal Damage . . . For each damage or critical damage suffered, the ship must lose one shield token."

P. 15, Combat Phase Example, "15. Rookie Pilot suffers one critical damage . . . . The Rebel player reduces the X-wing's shields by removing one shield token from Rookie Pilot's card."

Mack

Why did you resurrect three old (and resolved) threads to make the same post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.