Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated 2012 Sep 30

REFINERY RAID
100 point squads, 36"x36" play area

Setup: Players choose sides: Assault Force or Protectors. The Protectors place the Refinery -- 1 large piece of circular terrain about 10" in diameter that must be partly within Range 2 of the Protectors' deployment zone and further than Range 1 from the play area edge. Then the Protectors place the Command Center -- 1 small piece of circular terrain about 2" across within Range 2-3 of the Refinery, but further than Range 1 from the play area edge.

Command Center: This terrain has 6 Hull and 2 Shields. During the End phase, restore its Shields to 2. As an action, any Protectors ship may instruct the Command Tower to Jam Sensors, which removes all target locks in play. When the Command Center is destroyed, remove all shield tokens from the Refinery, and the Protectors may no longer take the Jam Sensors action.

Refinery: This terrain has 8 Hull and 2 Shields. During the End phase, if the Command Center has not been destroyed, restore the Refinery's Shields to 2.

Destroyed Terrain: Do not remove the terrain pieces from play once they are destroyed.

After the Command Center is destroyed, the Protectors cannot Jam Sensors and no terrain shields regenerate.

After the Refinery is destroyed, the Assault Force may safely leave the play area through their own deployment zone.

Reinforcements: During the End phase, the Protectors player receives 1 reinforcement for each ship that was destroyed by an Assault Force attack during that round. Reinforcements are placed in the Assault Force's deployment zone. The ship card to use for the reinforcement must be of the same type as the one destroyed (X-Wing, Y-Wing, TIE Fighter or TIE Advanced) with Pilot Skill 4.

Upgrade cards attached to a ship are not lost when that ship is destroyed, and may be assigned to any reinforcement later. However, upgrades that are discarded during play (such as Cluster Missiles or from critical damage) are returned to the supply.

Assault Force Objectives: During the End phase, if the Assault Force player has moved at least 1 of its ships safely off the play area, that player wins.

Protectors Objective: Destroy all ships of the Assault Force.

Terrain Suggestions: For the Refinery, raid your kitchen for a large bowl or pasta strainer, and place this upside down. For the Command Center, a bottle of sauce should work.

What would improve this mission? Do the terrain targets sound too tough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds cool actually
check out all the old missions from the Rogue Squadron game for some ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play report:

With the Command Center and Refinery shields regenerating each round, and the defenders' ability to cancel all target locks, it's a tough mission for the Assault Force, which has to rely on primary weapons for the most part.

I was playing the Assault Force, and my strategy was to go for the Refinery with primary weapons and skip the Command Center altogether. It didn't work, but I got the refinery down to 3 hull before it became clear that I wasn't going to win -- too many remaining Protector ships.

To make things a little easier on the Assault Force, when the Command Center is destroyed, it'll lower the shields on the Refinery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it 100pts per side? If so, I think the protecting force needs reinforcements.

With any scenario like this, I think there has to be some sort of difference in points or else a Reinforce rule for the defender. Otherwise, it's basically just a 100point dog fight, except one side has an additional victory condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea (I like the sensor jamming), but 100 vs. 100 does sound like a balance problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Is it 100pts per side? If so, I think the protecting force needs reinforcements.

Easy enough to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.