Hide
16 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Zombicide map editor - Mac OS - files won't save. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drinkwater
msg tools
I have a system that meets the specs, OSX 10.7, Intel based. The program runs correctly but all attempts to save fail. Program simply shuts down, whether its Dave, save as, save all OT save to png.

Yes, I am running as an administrator and it does not matter whether I save to the default directory or a different (eg. Desktop) nor does it seem to matter if I name it simple or complex.

Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
United States
Phoenix
Oregon
flag msg tools
ozskeeter wrote:
I have a system that meets the specs, OSX 10.7, Intel based. The program runs correctly but all attempts to save fail. Program simply shuts down, whether its Dave, save as, save all OT save to png.

Yes, I am running as an administrator and it does not matter whether I save to the default directory or a different (eg. Desktop) nor does it seem to matter if I name it simple or complex.

Any ideas?

Happens to me too. I think it is broken. The only solution I have is to take a screenshot after I construct my map and then crop the map out in Preview. It works well enough but is pretty annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drinkwater
msg tools
It also does not work under 10.8.2 and XQuartz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Raoult
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello!

We took contact with the software programmer.
He may ask you for additional information. Expect a solution soon.
Thanks for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drinkwater
msg tools
Thank you Nicolas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John D, could you follow the steps below and let me know what the Terminal output is:

1) with bgmapeditor closed, control click the bgmapeditor.app and select 'Show Package Contents'
2) navigate to Contents>Resources>sources, leave that Finder window to the side for now
3) open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and place that window next to the Finder window opened in step 2
4) drag the bgmapeditor.x11 from the Finder into the Terminal window
5) in the Terminal window, press enter - this should launch bgmapeditor

... also, regarding 10.8.2, are you specifically talking about saving as well or a more general failure? either way, could you please follow the steps above in that environment too and post the Terminal output for us, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John T, feel free to follow these steps too, but please give us more details about your system when posting the output.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Triplett
Switzerland
Geneva
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm having the same problem here on my mac. If I launch the map editor from the command line as you suggest, it all works just fine. BUT when running from the applications folder it crashes under any of the following:

* Save
* Open
* Convert to png

All of which work on the command line. I did notice that at all of these steps there is output to the terminal ("saving ... Done! ").

Is it posible when you run from the applications folder that the std output is getting piped somewhere illegal? Afraid I'm more a linux guy than a mac-dev so I don't know where to look to debug further.

Workaround for users: Run from the command line (as instructed above). For me the command is:

/Applications/bgmapeditor.app/Contents/Resources/sources/bgmapeditor.x11

Works as expected then.

For the Devs. System specs are:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.70f5
Serial Number (system): xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hardware UUID: xxxxxxxx
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: xxxxxxxxxx’s MacBook Pro
User Name: xxxxxxxxx
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 12 days 20:23

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting... it seems that the problem was due to the timer implemtation (the one you may see running at launch). Since this is really just a convenience for those running the program for the first time (particularly if X11/XQuartz has just been installed), I have suppressed it for now.

Please download the new version from http://www.confsden.com/bgmapeditor but please be aware that you will need to download the Zombicide pack separately and import it into the application.

... as soon as it is confirmed that this new version solves adequately the problem that was reported herein, we will update the version coming with the pack pre-installed.

Thank you for your reports!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drinkwater
msg tools
ozskeeter wrote:
It also does not work under 10.8.2 and XQuartz

My apologies, that was unclear ... the program works but all attempts to save failed, identical to the iMac with 10.7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drinkwater
msg tools

I am now away with my laptop (with 10.8.2) so unable to test 10.7 again, but via the terminal as you described, the program worked as expected and this time saving also successfully completed without the program shutting down.

Terminal output ...

Last login: Tue Oct 2 06:22:42 on console
cpe-121-216-138-93:~ John$ /Applications/bgmapeditor.app/Contents/Resources/sources/bgmapeditor.x11

Saving /Users/John/Documents/Test.map... Done! [Tue Oct 2 06:35:46 2012]cpe-121-216-138-93:~ John$

Running the map editor again from Launchpad produced the same behaviour as reported previously ... worked as expected until attempts to save, then the program shut down with all of Save, Save All, Save As, Save to png.

System information as follows

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir3,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA31.0061.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.66f60

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: xx
User Name: xx
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
Time since boot: 22 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
are we talking about the initial version available from Guillotine or the hotfix I referenced in my previous post? If unsure please Get Info on the bgmapeditor.app and you should see the version (build date).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actually the version is not displayed in the Finder, you'll have to click on the bgmapeditor icon in the dock when it is running and select 'About bgmapeditor' in the top menu bar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drinkwater
msg tools
My report is on the initial version.

edit : I have just downloaded and trialled the hot-fixed version.

All works well including save.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks John!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also doesn't work under Windows 8!

:-(

Slightly different symptoms though: Program doesn't exit or crash, it just save nothing but empty files (.png output is empty too).

EDIT: Solution - extract to Program Files, not Program Files (x86)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.