Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Bretschneider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We couldn't figure out how to determine flight strength prior to the third round (which does figure into play of some cards.) Particularly for color flights, there is no color/suit order, and no notation about card strength in this case. We played with house rules here, but all agreed they weren't happy with the ambiguities in the printed rules here.

Similarly we didn't like the idea that when someone ran out of money before the end of a gambit that you needed to do a bunch of record keeping on paper. Seemed unlikely that the debtor would be the winner, that the value of this effort didn't really pay off for anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sceadeau D'Tela
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flight strength simply is the total number of each of your cards in your flight.

So on round 1, if you have a Gold 9 out, your flight strength is 9.

On round 2, with a Gold 9 and Black 3, your flight strength is 12.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played it. Hopefully, my game group tommorow will want to give it a shot.

After gold fishing through a couple of hands, I really want to get rid of the whole debt idea, maybe even the default win condition as well.

Has anyone else come up with some good alternatives?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The debt rule allows a player a single chance to stay in the game if he or she runs out of gold during a gambit. If by the end of the gambit, the player cannot pay back all of their debt, he or she is out of game and the game ends. The winner with the most gold wins. Simple.

Now if the debtor player wins the gambit all debts are canceled.

It's quite simple. Your debt only lasts for one gambit.

This a fun game and my gaming group loves it!

Also, there lots of variant rules mentioned in the rule book and you can customize the game to suit your style without much trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, the debt issue actually became a mechanic that I really liked. The win condition is something I want to tweak with. We finally played a couple of games last week, and it seemed "unfair" for the runners-up when someone went out and they were close to turning things in their favor. I think an elimination endgame (ala Poker) would be more fun /shrug.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Ya, the debt issue actually became a mechanic that I really liked. The win condition is something I want to tweak with. We finally played a couple of games last week, and it seemed "unfair" for the runners-up when someone went out and they were close to turning things in their favor. I think an elimination endgame (ala Poker) would be more fun /shrug.

Haven't played yet (just read the rules), but it seems that a player out of money could be knocked out, and the others keep going until one player remains, although it sounds like that may take awhile...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The default rules for winning is when one player is knocked out, the game ends and the player with the most gold wins. You can do elimination, but the game can last quite awhile. I played last night a two player game and instead of 50 starting gold, we cut it to 25 and the game lasted over an hour.

I don't think you want your friend waiting around for everyone to finish. The default condition allows everyone to start into the next game if they wish very quickly.

You can also decide a winner after a set number of rounds or time. Lots of variations. Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aucoin
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are forced to ante more that you have does that end the game or do you go into debt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maucoin wrote:
If you are forced to ante more that you have does that end the game or do you go into debt?

I believe you go into debt to the stakes. If you win the gambit, that debt is ignored (somewhere in the rules it states that last point.) Otherwise, you're out.

This brought up an interesting point in a game I just played. I owed the stakes part of the ante, so another player insisted any gold I begged, borrowed or stole during the gambit should go into the stakes until my ante was paid off. Sure, it made me lose, but I like that rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Poulsen
Denmark
Holbæk
flag msg tools
This is how i understand the debt rules.

You can go into debt under a Gambit, to stakes and to another player.
If you are in debt to another player and you earn some gold before Gambit you must pay as much as you can to those you are in debt.
You choose yourself who to pay to first.
If you win gambit you have no more debt to stakes. (Because when your win the stakes, it turns into your hoard and you cant be in debt to yourself.)
But if you have debt to another player, and you win gambit, you still have to pay debt to that player.

It dont happen that much. It should be able to be remembered.
We use it, and we play 4-6 players for 10 Gambits.
And we use you-snooze-you-lose rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I just played Three Dragon Ante for the first time a couple of days ago, and I've just now come up with a method of handling the player who runs out of money that might be a bit easier than the standard.

There are no debts. Instead, drawing a leaf from various forms of poker, there will be pot splitting.

When a player is unable to pay the required ante, he pays what he can. A portion of each other player's ante, equal to what the "busted" player has put in, is put into the stakes with the busted player's ante. The rest of the other antes is put into a second pot.

If the busted player wins, he takes only the first pot, and the runner-up takes the second pot. (If there's a tie for runner-up, the winner takes his pot and everyone else plays another round to try to win the second pot.) If anybody else wins, they take both pots. Any card play that modifies the stakes (puts money in or takes it out) applies to the first pot.

This way, there's no keeping track of debt. A "busted" player doesn't come back in with as much winnings as he would in a normal game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.