Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rules [+] [View All]
John Curtis
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Hello,

I'm still working through my first game. I greatly appreciate the detailed answers from the designers on this forum, they help a great deal. Here are some questions of my own.

1. If an expedition moves into and attacks an area containing 2 enemy expeditions, do both expeditions join in defense? Can the defender choose a leader from either expedition for the tactical rating?

2. Assume a road has been built between Sackets Harbour and Fort Oswego, allowing the American player to use the lower build cost for Sackets. If the British then take control of Fort Oswego, does this "cut" the road, forcing the Americans in Sackets to use the higher build cost?

3. This is a more of an historical question rather than rules. I was curious what is special about the geography of Put-In Bay, as the end of section 5.6 states that it can never be occupied by the British.

Thanks for any info! I'm enjoying the game so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to be able to help, John!

1. There can never be two friendly expeditions in the same area at the end of a Round, so this situation can not occur. See rules section 6.3: when an expedition enters an area containing another friendly expedition, it must either combine with the other expedition or keep moving. If an expedition enters an area containing another friendly expedition AND an enemy expedition, it can have combat separately or combined, but if they're both in the same area after combat is resolved, the two friendly expeditions must combine.

2. Yes it does cut the road. Since Fort Oswego is now enemy occupied, Sackett's Harbor is not really connected to Fort Oswego.

3. Put-in Bay is on an island on Lake Erie:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-478611-map_of_put_in_bay_oh-i

We could have made a bunch of special rules for conducting a British amphibious assault here, but it was so infrequently used and so fussy that we went with just saying the British can't go there. Perry thought that his fleet was quite safe when it was anchored there. It is one of several advantages that Perry has on Lake Erie. (Along with one big disadvantage: see The Bar at Presque Isle card!)

Hope this helps,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the superfast reply!

1. So I presume then that when a friendly expedition RETREATS into an area containing another friendly expedition, the two expeditions must combine, since the retreating expedition is moving no further? In that case, I suppose that one would also have to remove surplus 2 and 3 star leaders. (I suppose someone has to take the blame for the defeat.)

I have a couple of additional questions about section 6.3,"Creating, Combining, and Splitting Expeditions.

4. When a moving expedition enters an area with another friendly expedition, and they are combined but immediately split again, are surplus 2 and 3 star leaders still removed at the instant they are combined?

5. Just wanted to clarify:

Creating a new expedition by drawing a random leader: 1 Ops point
Splitting an expedition with a subordinate commander: Play a card with Ops points >= Activation cost of the subordinate commander. The split-off expedition then moves away (otherwise it would be recombined.)

Thanks,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, yes; five hours; not too shabby. I've done better

1. Yes, if two friendly expeditions find themselves in the same area at the end of any Round for any reason, they must combine, and remove surplus leaders per the rules. Yes, I suppose the removed leader(s) can be taking the blame for the retreat! They will, of course, be the lowest value leaders.

4. There are two situations here. Under item 1 under 6.3, the expeditions are combined, and any surplus 2 star leader must be removed. (Note that this is the only possibility; there can not be two 3-star leaders, since under item 1 the expeditions are commanded by leaders of unequal rank.) However, under item 2 under 6.3, the expeditions have the option to not combine (units can be traded between them, but the rule makes clear that there is the option to not combine and keep moving). In this case, no leaders are effected by the "pass-by" movement.

5. You are correct with these statements.

All these Command rules are kind of tricky, but they play an important role in the simulation. Unlike more modern warfare (where the commander at the point of crisis will typically get the most troops) during the War of 1812 the commander with the highest rank would keep the most troops- regardless of the strategic situation. The ranking general always kept the lion's share of the troops- just because it was his prerogative and his reputation to uphold, not allowing some subordinate be in command of more troops than he was. It made for some interesting situations during the war, and in the game, too: especially for the Americans.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Thanks again for the fast and complete answer!

It's a very different world than when we all had to either snail-mail questions with SASE to "The Hill", or see if any outstanding questions were clarified in the "General".

Cheers,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.