Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I am putting together an expanded sequence of play for Bloody April to have everything in one place to make my early games flow a little smoother. I have come upon a few questions as I have drafted and tested it and would be grateful for any advice on the following 8 questions:

1. Flight Aggression. My poor Brit REG flight rolled -2 for its Aggression. The Flight was led by an Ace with an Aggression of 1. However, rule 4.33 did not apply as his Aggression did not exceed the highest possible Aggression for a REG flight, +2. Therefore the flight was stuck with -2 Aggression despite its aggressive leader. Does this sound right?

2. Defensive wheels. Rule 10.52 states that if stacked flights (more than one flight in a hex) both enter a defensive wheels, they each have their own separate defensive wheel. Rule 13.44 states: “Defensive Wheels [10.5] engage and fight as if they were a single unit. When rolling to engage, roll once for all flights in the wheel.” This suggests there could be more than one flight in the wheel and I am thus a tad confused.

3. AA deconfliction: I had Rain at Deck level. No Ground observation of flights above Deck never happened as there was no LOS. I note however that AA will still occur, just with a -4 DRM if there is a hit. So how does AA deconfliction fit within this picture? The rule states friendlies will not fire at their own flights in Deck and Low band and will if they are higher. But the AA cannot see to distinguish friend from foe? Currently I just apply the rules as written but thought I would seek clarification.

4. Combat altitude. My Flight at Med+0 attacks a Flight at Low +6. There is no rule to state what altitude the conbat occurs although a reasonable assumption is at the altitude of the defender. If the combat goes to dogfight, this covered, the dogfight taking the defender’s altitude. The context of the question is the scatter at the end of the combat. Is the attacker deemed to be in the Med or Low band for the combat for the purposes of scatter at the end of the combat (where it may drop a band)?

5. Disengage. Where the Defender has sufficient speed to successfully disengage, the Attacker gets an attack on the Dogfight Maneuvre Table (with the -4 successful disengagement modifier) before the Defender disengages (13.41 c.). Where the Defender does not have the speed to successfully auto-disengage (13.41 c.) but wins the roll and thus disengages, does the Attacker in this situation also get to attack on the Dogfight Manevre Table? And if it does not, then can a faster Defender choose to forego the Auto Success and roll against the Attacker?

6. Bouncing a Dogfight. Regarding 13.43 a. One question on this is If the Attacker had decided to let the Defender automatically Disengage, and the Bouncer subsequently failed to Engage what is the position vis a vis the Attacker and Defender? (1) The auto-disengage does not count as it was conditional on Bouncer engaging; (2) Defender goes through normal Disengage process (3) Defender auto-disengaged and dogfight over?

7. If there is a Bouncer in a 3-way dogfight, can the attacker also activate the dogfight (as well as the Bouncer) or can only the Bouncer activate it?

8. Activation of a 3-way (bounced) dogfight. 13.43 g. does not address the situation where either a Defender only seeks to Disengage nor when a Bouncer seeks to Disengage. I have tried to figure it out based on the disengage rules for a two-way dogfight and came up with the following:

(1) Defender only disengaging goes through normal disengage process. If it succeeds, normally the attacker gets a roll on Dogfight Maneuvre Table prior to the Defender’s escape. In this case that roll is done as the 2nd combat after the Bouncer-Attacker Combat. Then after that, Bouncer becomes Attacker and the Attacker becomes the Defender.

(2)Bouncer seeking to disengage goes through the same process an attacker does when seeking to disengage and the Defnder will not let it. I was not sure how to handle the role reversal though.

(3) When an Attacker seeks to Disengage from 3-way, it is clear (Defender auto disengages and Attacker tries to). However, is it safe to assume with the Defender gone the Bouncer becomes the Attacker and Attacker the Defender in the event the Dogfight continues?

Thank you kindly

Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
Hello

I am putting together an expanded sequence of play for Bloody April to have everything in one place to make my early games flow a little smoother. I have come upon a few questions as I have drafted and tested it and would be grateful for any advice on the following 8 questions:

1. Flight Aggression. My poor Brit REG flight rolled -2 for its Aggression. The Flight was led by an Ace with an Aggression of 1. However, rule 4.33 did not apply as his Aggression did not exceed the highest possible Aggression for a REG flight, +2. Therefore the flight was stuck with -2 Aggression despite its aggressive leader. Does this sound right?

Equal or Higher for Rule 4.33 to be correct. As to the question - yes the poor chap leading the flight has a +1 skill but his leadership seems to have failed him for this mission or else all the lads in the flight are hungover from the previous night's bash and performing poorly. So the flight has a -2 Aggression level but if the ACE leading ever got seperated from the rest due to damage, random events etc - then he alone would have a +1 Rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
2. Defensive wheels. Rule 10.52 states that if stacked flights (more than one flight in a hex) both enter a defensive wheels, they each have their own separate defensive wheel. Rule 13.44 states: “Defensive Wheels [10.5] engage and fight as if they were a single unit. When rolling to engage, roll once for all flights in the wheel.” This suggests there could be more than one flight in the wheel and I am thus a tad confused.

Poor terminology use here. I will fix that with the Living Rules update.

Single unit = single aeroplane (i.e. you roll on 1 column no matter how many aeroplanes in the wheel)

"When rolling to engage, roll once for all flights in the wheel". Delete this line as it is redundant - you only roll once anyway to engage. An attacker would have to pick which Wheel to engage if two are stacked in a hex. The Wheel attacked would roll to engage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:
As to the question - yes the poor chap leading the flight has a +1 skill but his leadership seems to have failed him for this mission or else all the lads in the flight are hungover from the previous night's bash and performing poorly. So the flight has a -2 Aggression level but if the ACE leading ever got seperated from the rest due to damage, random events etc - then he alone would have a +1 Rating.

He is actually hurtling towards earth in an uncontrolled spin thanks to the less than stellar efforts of his hungover buddies after they were jumped by a flight of Alb DIIIs cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
3. AA deconfliction: I had Rain at Deck level. No Ground observation of flights above Deck never happened as there was no LOS. I note however that AA will still occur, just with a -4 DRM if there is a hit. So how does AA deconfliction fit within this picture? The rule states friendlies will not fire at their own flights in Deck and Low band and will if they are higher. But the AA cannot see to distinguish friend from foe? Currently I just apply the rules as written but thought I would seek clarification.

Archie Damage Table [16.31]

Change -4 No LOS to target, or attack is at night
to
Corrected -4 Attack is at night

Archie cannot attack if there is no LOS. They did not have any radar guiding to detect targets they couldn't see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
4. Combat altitude. My Flight at Med+0 attacks a Flight at Low +6. There is no rule to state what altitude the conbat occurs although a reasonable assumption is at the altitude of the defender. If the combat goes to dogfight, this covered, the dogfight taking the defender’s altitude. The context of the question is the scatter at the end of the combat. Is the attacker deemed to be in the Med or Low band for the combat for the purposes of scatter at the end of the combat (where it may drop a band)?

15.2 -- Last sentence add "or Combat" after "Dogfight". If you scatter and do not drop an altitude band you will end up at Band+0 of the band the defender was in. So in your example of a Flight at Med+0 attacking a Flight at Low+6 and both scattered after a non-Dogfight engagement - the attacking flight would end up at Low+0 after the combat if not dropping a band or if scatter dropped them a band then they would drop to Deck+0. If you were at Med+0 and failed to engage they would stay at Med+0.

13.42 -- Add the following sentence at the end of the paragraph. "Any disengaging flight that does not scatter may be placed on the map at a TtC value equal or lower to the value within the band that the combat or dogfight took place." This would be the only exception to ending at Band+0 after combat or dogfight.

Air combat in WW1 always lost altitude pretty quickly as it was impossible to maintain energy to stay at altitude once you started turning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
5. Disengage. Where the Defender has sufficient speed to successfully disengage, the Attacker gets an attack on the Dogfight Maneuvre Table (with the -4 successful disengagement modifier) before the Defender disengages (13.41 c.). Where the Defender does not have the speed to successfully auto-disengage (13.41 c.) but wins the roll and thus disengages, does the Attacker in this situation also get to attack on the Dogfight Manevre Table? And if it does not, then can a faster Defender choose to forego the Auto Success and roll against the Attacker?

The Attacker always gets a shot off on a disengaging flight whether successful or not but must apply the disengagement modifiers -4 or -2.

Don't understand your last part of the question - are you asking if a Defender can roll for disengagment vs an auto success. If so, I guess you can house rule that if you want. Successful disengagement is a -4 DRM to attacker shots which if I am a 2-seater is much better than trying my luck with a -2 failed attempt and a shot with my observers rear gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
6. Bouncing a Dogfight. Regarding 13.43 a. One question on this is If the Attacker had decided to let the Defender automatically Disengage, and the Bouncer subsequently failed to Engage what is the position vis a vis the Attacker and Defender? (1) The auto-disengage does not count as it was conditional on Bouncer engaging; (2) Defender goes through normal Disengage process (3) Defender auto-disengaged and dogfight over?

Good Question. Although below is not directly answering your question it did bring up a point for clarification.

13.43b. Add following sentence at end. "If Attacker lets Defender auto disengage then Attacker does not get a shot on disengaging Defender whether Bouncer successfully engages or not."

This would be a way to free a flight without them getting shot at in the process just by forcing an attacker to honor a threat.

To answer your question - Defender has disengaged with no scatter and Attacker would scatter and Dogfight is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
7. If there is a Bouncer in a 3-way dogfight, can the attacker also activate the dogfight (as well as the Bouncer) or can only the Bouncer activate it?

Bouncer or Attacker can activate a Dogfight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T-Mo wrote:

The Attacker always gets a shot off on a disengaging flight whether successful or not but must apply the disengagement modifiers -4 or -2.

Don't understand your last part of the question ...

The last part of my question was only relevant if the first part was answered that the attacker did not always get a shot off. So it is accordingly redundant.

Thank you kindly for answering all of these questions so quickly and comprehensively Terry. I really appreciate it!

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Artymorty wrote:
8. Activation of a 3-way (bounced) dogfight. 13.43 g. does not address the situation where either a Defender only seeks to Disengage nor when a Bouncer seeks to Disengage. I have tried to figure it out based on the disengage rules for a two-way dogfight and came up with the following:

(1) Defender only disengaging goes through normal disengage process. If it succeeds, normally the attacker gets a roll on Dogfight Maneuvre Table prior to the Defender’s escape. In this case that roll is done as the 2nd combat after the Bouncer-Attacker Combat. Then after that, Bouncer becomes Attacker and the Attacker becomes the Defender.

(2)Bouncer seeking to disengage goes through the same process an attacker does when seeking to disengage and the Defnder will not let it. I was not sure how to handle the role reversal though.

(3) When an Attacker seeks to Disengage from 3-way, it is clear (Defender auto disengages and Attacker tries to). However, is it safe to assume with the Defender gone the Bouncer becomes the Attacker and Attacker the Defender in the event the Dogfight continues?

Thank you kindly

Todd

Yes on all your assumptions for this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.