Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked at posting about ties in the market but i don't think this particualr point has been addressed.

What happens if there are more than one column without a broker, who decide in what direction the value of the gems moves?

Let's say there are 2 or 3 empty columns.

My view would be that

option 1: all players participate and using the three brokers in front of them decide in strength order which column to influence in the order of the influence (+2, +2, -1, -2) chosing the gems they want.

Option 2: all players participate and using the three brokers in front of them decide in strength order which column to influence in the order of the influence (+2, +2, -1, -2) starting from the gems at the utmost right (to balance the end scoring which is weighted in favour of the utmost left column).

views?

~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the rules do address this. The player with the highest total before their screen chooses. This is in the section titled Phase 4 - Counting Up (don't have a page number for you, I'm looking at an oddly formatted PDF).

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked but there is nothing about a situation when there is more than one empty column.

Counting points in the market is based on the number of brokers and their values in each column. The example given only has one empty column.

Draws are indeed resolved by the player with the highest total in front of him, but applying this to two empty column (a draw with "No broker") would be pushing the interpretation of that line.

However, this is not far form what I porpose, but the rules are not very clear on that point and leaving it all to the player with the highest score in front of him is a bit unbalanced as in some cases that player may well decide the fate of 3, even 4 valuations.

~J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Roger_Jay wrote:
Draws are indeed resolved by the player with the highest total in front of him, but applying this to two empty column (a draw with "No broker") would be pushing the interpretation of that line.

However, this is not far form what I porpose, but the rules are not very clear on that point and leaving it all to the player with the highest score in front of him is a bit unbalanced as in some cases that player may well decide the fate of 3, even 4 valuations.

All the more reason to send brokers to the market.

According to the rules, ties are broken by the player with the best brokers in front of the screen.

Hypothetically, if nobody played the market at all, then all four colors would be tied at zero. This means that the player with best brokers in front of his/her screen would decide the value fluctuations of all four colors.

Is that balanced? Yes.

The players had the option to manipulate the market, and chose not to. If the players are aware that this gives a substantial amount of power to the tie-breaking player, then they ought to prevent this from happening by placing brokers in the market.

Not to mention, the player with the best brokers in front of the screen had to give up good brokers to get tie-breaking power. The ability to break ties, even amongst the zero-value columns in the market, is the benefit granted to those who are willing to pay for it by sacrificing the use of those brokers on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"For each column, add up the brokers. The gem whose column has the highest total moves up two steps on the quotation table. The gem with the second highest total moves up one step. The gem with the third highest total goes down one step, and the last gem goes down two steps. Draws are settled as follows : look which column has the most pawns in it (e.g. a column with three brokers has the edge on a column with only two brokers). Still not enough ? Then, the player with the highest total before their screen chooses (again, draws are settled as in the city, using ‘Order’ cards if necessary)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.