Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing this in The Hotness, and reading the rules, I'm intrigued. I like horrible things; this is a horrible thing.

If WWB were available to purchase for a reasonable price, ideally including offensively terrible graphic design and custom dice, I would buy it. Are there any plans to produce WWB and inflict it on consumers?

(If this already exists and I just can't find it, please let me know.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Next up is a project for me to see about Kickstarting it. While it is horrible, any attempt to get it market does require actual work, making sure it can be produced and so on, and people get it. Then factor in also need to get video done and run an actual ad campaign for it.

I also have to give thought exactly how to do it, as in how horrible the first version would be from a production standpoint. Horribleness of the game I believe needs to manifest in gameplay. There is also factor people actually do want the dice.

Add the kicker of needing a good price point. I am thinking I can get it under $20, if done right. Yes, I would like less, but the cards and dice cost some money, unless can be done in sufficient quantity. Yes, talking like over $5 a die, unless done in sufficient numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
That's excellent news.

If a full-blown production run starts to look too risky or otherwise prohibitive, there's always the Game Crafter route, or even Artscow cards plus stickered dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely the dice should just be regular D6 dice which have 5 of the faces sloppily painted over with white paint that doesn't quite match the white plastic of the dice themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Surely the dice should just be regular D6 dice which have 5 of the faces sloppily painted over with white paint that doesn't quite match the white plastic of the dice themselves.

I looked into it, and actually a fairly cheap, but also decent on durability, is to engrave the 5 into a side of a colored cube. The number 5 will be white, while the rest of the cube is a different color.

There is the humor side to this, but the business side says people actually DO want the dice, just to have. So, I need to honor that. Will look into maybe doing a fan designed crowdsourced version later.

I also say the dice being what they are if produced like in batches of 100 at a time. On demand gets a lot more expensive. And I am trying to avoid the cube with stickers approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
docreason wrote:
russ wrote:

I looked into it, and actually a fairly cheap, but also decent on durability, is to engrave the 5 into a side of a colored cube. The number 5 will be white, while the rest of the cube is a different color.

There is the humor side to this, but the business side says people actually DO want the dice, just to have. So, I need to honor that. Will look into maybe doing a fan designed crowdsourced version later.

Assuming you're serious about trying to sell this as some kind of joke game which some people would actually purchase for laughs (which honestly seems bizarre to me - I am evidently not in the target audience), I don't know if it makes sense to "half-ass" it like that. If the selling point is that this is the world's worst boardgame, then the customer should expect crappy quality, not well-made good quality dice, right?

Which reminds me: another obvious "quality problem" is that the rules as written seem pretty clear to me. The world's worst boardgame should have much worse rules which are difficult to understand, with holes and contradictions, shouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
docreason wrote:
russ wrote:

Assuming you're serious about trying to sell this as some kind of joke game which some people would actually purchase for laughs (which honestly seems bizarre to me - I am evidently not in the target audience), I don't know if it makes sense to "half-ass" it like that. If the selling point is that this is the world's worst boardgame, then the customer should expect crappy quality, not well-made good quality dice, right?

Which reminds me: another obvious "quality problem" is that the rules as written seem pretty clear to me. The world's worst boardgame should have much worse rules which are difficult to understand, with holes and contradictions, shouldn't it?

Is the core of a game in how it plays, or the rules and presentation? I would say gameplay is key, and would look to deliver on really bad and pointless gameplay. This being said, I am looking to keep the costs down as low as possible with it, so that should make it cheap, really cheap.

By the way, a reason for the rules being a bit clear is so people can visualize the gameplay. Even then, people still got it wrong, and the rules also pointlessly, in the PDF, go onto two pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another approach I am considering for it, is to enable players, and encourage them to "roll their own" version of the game, and get them the bits to do it with. I will look to do a boxed version to, but there is a degree of fun on the metalevel by allowing players to come up with their own take on it. The whole business side would be to support the community. Of course, I would like to generate some money out of it, partly because there IS a need to do some marketing of the game. As of now, W.W.B has dropped off the hotness list here. Ahh, 15 minutes of fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the orange die with a glued five on it is horrible enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.