Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reLG5RxyJhU&feature=related

Obama takes a hard ball and knocks it out of the park.

No wiffle waffling or flip flopping. Takes it head on.

His views? Maybe. Or perhaps he has a good crew that considered this question and helped develop the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's not the job of a leader to take care if a countries citizens, thats then states job.

But what is the presidants constitutional role?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I agree, it's not the job of a leader to take care if a countries citizens, thats then states job.

Preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution.

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.
[edit]Treaties

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States."

In context with the full document, not a whole lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.
[edit]Treaties

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States."

So it's not his job to take care of the wealthfare of the countries populace, just the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

[edit]Treaties

So it's not his job to take care of the wealthfare of the countries populace, just the country.

Well congress has enumerated powers in article 1. The president carries out what the people decide through congress. Whatever congress is prevented from enacting into law, he is not allowed to override. He's in charge of the military. He is a figurehead who's supposed to talk about the state of the union every once in a while. And he's in charge of diplomacy.

Naturally most of what the President does now does not obey the Constitution if you are a originalist/strict constructionist rather than a living breathing document-type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

[edit]Treaties

Well for Romney at least, it's not about taking care of 47% of the country's populace.

I think at this point, I don't support the entire democratic party or their policies but I certainly am 100% in Obama's court. I'll probably start rationalizing soon. And I think I'll make a donation this week. I don't care to remain balanced any more. I might as well enjoy the ride and go in whole cloth.

That video this morning where Romney and killed the profitable factory tipped me over the edge. I started looking around Youtube at various videos and I'm opposed to everything Romney stands for and most of what the republicans stand for. I think they've become selfish and insensitive. I'm glad Romney was selected because he makes the choice so much clearer. He's so obviously pro wealthy and lacking empathy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

[edit]Treaties

Well for Romney at least, it's not about taking care of 47% of the country's populace.

I think at this point, I don't support the entire democratic party or their policies but I certainly am 100% in Obama's court. I'll probably start rationalizing soon. And I think I'll make a donation this week. I don't care to remain balanced any more. I might as well enjoy the ride and go in whole cloth.

That video this morning where Romney and killed the profitable factory tipped me over the edge. I started looking around Youtube at various videos and I'm opposed to everything Romney stands for and most of what the republicans stand for. I think they've become selfish and insensitive. I'm glad Romney was selected because he makes the choice so much clearer. He's so obviously pro wealthy and lacking empathy.

So you're one of those Obama supporters that don't mind terrorizing Pakistanis with drone warfare or killing American citizens without trial and continuing the surveillance state and indefinite detention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

[edit]Treaties

But apparently if the economy is struggling, it's the President's fault. Have I got that right? Which part of the Constitution is that from?

This line of "reasoning" is silly. If the election were about which candidate is better suited to perform the duties set forth in Article II of the Constitution, taken as the sum total in a scriptural-literalist way, then campaigns would be a lot simpler and less expensive. The reality is a lot more complex than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
So you're one of those Obama supporters that don't mind terrorizing Pakistanis with drone warfare or killing American citizens without trial and continuing the surveillance state and indefinite detention?

So you're one of those ridiculous people who think that if you support a candidate, you wholeheartedly support everything about him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

[edit]Treaties

But apparently if the economy is struggling, it's the President's fault. Have I got that right? Which part of the Constitution is that from?

This line of "reasoning" is silly. If the election were about which candidate is better suited to perform the duties set forth in Article II of the Constitution, taken as the sum total in a scriptural-literalist way, then campaigns would be a lot simpler and less expensive. The reality is a lot more complex than that.

Yes! People might not care who is President at all if we had a government limited to the Constitution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

So you're one of those ridiculous people who think that if you support a candidate, you wholeheartedly support everything about him?

Apparently just one that believes assassinating American citizens without trial is a touch too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

Apparently just one that believes assassinating American citizens without trial is a touch too far.

Well you kill other peoples citizens without trail, why not your own. Ans I belive that 72,524 Americans were killed without trail by the USA between 1861 and 1865.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

So you're a single-issue voter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

So you're a single-issue voter?

I believe I had 4 separate things written down there. I could come up with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

Well you kill other peoples citizens without trail, why not your own. Ans I belive that 72,524 Americans were killed without trail by the USA between 1861 and 1865.

Other than using "you" in the royal sense such as "we Americans" did such and such, I feel like you're beginning to understand me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
Golux13 wrote:
dandechino wrote:

Other than using "you" in the royal sense such as "we Americans" did such and such, I feel like you're beginning to understand me.

Let me be clear, I think that extra-judicial murder is wrong, but I don't care whose citizens they happen to be.

Also let me ask a question, does Romeny intended to stop Drone attacks? Does he intoned to stop extra-judicial murder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Let me be clear, I think that extra-judicial murder is wrong, but I don't care whose citizens they happen to be.

Also let me ask a question, does Romeny intended to stop Drone attacks? Does he intoned to stop extra-judicial murder?

Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

[edit]Treaties

That's a very good, hard question.

I mind, but it doesn't change my vote.

If you are a Romney Supporter, do you support everything about him and nothing about his history, policy, statements bothers you? If somethings does bother you, are you going to vote for him anyway?

Romney is not a good choice for this country nor for its citizens.

Given his pro defense industry stance and our propensity to get into wars to justify, test, and use the munitions we have sitting around- I think he's a bad candidate for the world too. I think a romney presidency leads to more "bush quality" conflicts where we ask ourselves afterwards, "what the hell were we thinking and why did we buy all their lies???"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

If you are a Romney Supporter, do you support everything about him and nothing about his history, policy, statements bothers you? If somethings does bother you, are you going to vote for him anyway?

Given his pro defense industry stance and our propensity to get into wars to justify, test, and use the munitions we have sitting around- I think he's a bad candidate for the world too. I think a romney presidency leads to more "bush quality" conflicts where we ask ourselves afterwards, "what the hell were we thinking and why did we buy all their lies???"

So basically, yes, you don't mind those quibbles enough to abstain from voting for more evil because you think the other guy is a greater evil. I'm sure that Pakistanis that are slaughtered over the next 4 years appreciate your vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Nope.

So why (if this policy will be no diferant) would I refuse to vote for Obama in order to try and prevent the other policyes of Romney that Obama opposes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

So basically, yes, you don't mind those quibbles enough to abstain from voting for more evil because you think the other guy is a greater evil. I'm sure that Pakistanis that are slaughtered over the next 4 years appreciate your vote.

I gave you a straight answer to your "have you stopped beating your wife" question.

I thought you might have the honesty and courage to do the same. Silly me. You didn't even address my question. Feels like I'm in a thread with Tripp or Drew.

Thanks for making my point by evading the question entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States... (Article II [the Presidency] Section 2)..."

Not quite in context (emphasis added):
Preamble wrote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Article II, section 1 wrote:
The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. ... [the rest or section 1 is about how the President is elected]

So, the President is in charge of the operation of the executive branch of the US. He's in charge of running the departments and executing the laws that Congresses from the beginning of the country have established, and not later abolished. When Congress establishes a protective institution like the Coast Guard or the Food and Drug Administration, the President is responsible for stopping smuggling or keeping food and drugs safe. In that Congress has passed laws to protect the People (often), it is the President's job to protect them and "promote the general Welfare".

But, no, the whole thing is not a lot:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_Sta...
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Additional_amendments_to_the_U...

(It is interesting that "corporation" or "company" appear nowhere in the Constitution. So much for strict construction.)

As far as drone strikes and all, Congress and Bush essentially wrote the President a blank check for military action anywhere against anyone in 2001. Congress has not rescinded that law: it is their responsibility to do so. It is the President's responsibility to continue to use the military force authorized until Congress tells him to stop.
S.J.Res. 23 (107th): Authorization for Use of Military Force wrote:
...the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons. ...
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/107/sjres23
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be mistaken... doesn't it say

Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare of the most valuable members of society and large corporations, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
arrrh

Seriously...

establish Justice

Insure domestic Tranquility

It's very hard to have those in a society which devolves into 17th century france- where 1% of the populace is taking all the benefits for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

I would love to see a world in which the president can put a stop to those kinds of fear-driven overreactions to "The Terrorist Threat" without being called soft on defense or an apologist for terrorism or whatever the right-wing meme of the moment would happen to be.

You prove to me that some viable candidate other than Obama would be able to do that - without compromising all the other aspects of the Obama presidency that I approve of - and I will vote for that person instead of Obama.

Protip: That person is not Romney.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

"The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States... (Article II [the Presidency] Section 2)..."

Not quite in context (emphasis added):
Preamble wrote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Article II, section 1 wrote:
The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. ... [the rest or section 1 is about how the President is elected]

So, the President is in charge of the operation of the executive branch of the US. He's in charge of running the departments and executing the laws that Congresses from the beginning of the country have established, and not later abolished. When Congress establishes a protective institution like the Coast Guard or the Food and Drug Administration, the President is responsible for stopping smuggling or keeping food and drugs safe. In that Congress has passed laws to protect the People (often), it is the President's job to protect them and "promote the general Welfare".

But, no, the whole thing is not a lot:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Constitution_of_the_United_Sta...
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/United_States_Bill_of_Rights
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Additional_amendments_to_the_U...

(It is interesting that "corporation" or "company" appear nowhere in the Constitution. So much for strict construction.)

As far as drone strikes and all, Congress and Bush essentially wrote the President a blank check for military action anywhere against anyone in 2001. Congress has not rescinded that law: it is their responsibility to do so. It is the President's responsibility to continue to use the military force authorized until Congress tells him to stop.
S.J.Res. 23 (107th): Authorization for Use of Military Force wrote:
...the President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons. ...
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/107/sjres23

So the best way to promote the general welfare was to have a very limited and narrowly defined constitutional republic. Otherwise the 10th amendment and bothering to enumerate powers of Congress makes no sense.

Congress passing a resolution to give the President cart blanche ability to wage multiple wars of his own choosing is not in keeping with their duty to declare war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.