Subject: What background for the table top do you use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Just wanted to check what is the types of tabletop covers you guys use so that it seems more spacey and thematic?

Playing on my wooden coffee table seems abit out of theme unless you can imagine them as a backdrop of saturn or jupiter like planet...tatooine maybe. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dining table is made of black wood, so I'm planning to use this for my first game tomorrow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went to a fabric store and got length of black felt for my gaming table.

Only problem is that now it's covered in cat hair that doesn't want to come off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden table, sometimes with a beige Chessex grid mat. I'm looking into a felt cover, though. The minis slide too easily on everything I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kutscha
United States
Clifton Park
New York (NY)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just need to get a good backstory together for the hair. It's the ion trails from the other parts of the battle going on the in background
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking of getting some black felt, but I've also been meaning to get green felt for various other games that need playing fields and would find grass colour more sympathetic...

Really not sure what to do, they get played on a white surface right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Richards
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having these two game mats made up for use on my table top:

Standard star field:

Death Star Surface:

Each measures 3'x3'. Put these together myself, and very much looking forward to using them.

I also made this one, but prefer the less cluttered space theme:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you going to get the actual game mats from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Richards
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Where are you going to get the actual game mats from?

As far as having them printed? I'm still looking into that. Shopping around right now. I don't want them printed on vinyl. I'd prefer a high quality, wide format printer, and have the mats laminated with a matte laminate to reduce glare while playing. Right now, I have a quote for $75 from one place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I really like the second one with the Star Wars logo but it would have to be pretty hi-res to look good at 3x3 feet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
For now, I picked up two sheets of premium black poster board for $.97 apiece. I will tape them together with painters tape and maybe dot some background stars with a silver sharpie.

Now these are the best images I've seen so far:
hextr1p wrote:

Standard star field:

Death Star Surface:

Each measures 3'x3'. Put these together myself, and very much looking forward to using them.

Well done, do you mind if others use your images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kashre wrote:
I just went to a fabric store and got length of black felt for my gaming table.

Only problem is that now it's covered in cat hair that doesn't want to come off

I can get a 90x90cm square of black felt for around £6. I was wondering is it possible to glue felt to the undersides of the ship bases to help them stay in place more easily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Black felt for me, too. Works well and isn't very expensive. I got 1 3 foot by 6 foot piece of premium felt at Joann Fabric for 6 buck's I believe (it was on sale for 40% off the day I went, I believe the regularly have such sales).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the space map from Monday Knight Productions. My father mounted it on MDF with two removable dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Simon
Philippines
flag msg tools
Make America Great Again
badge
Proud member of the Basket of Deplorables
mbmbmbmbmb
Scruffdog wrote:
For now, I picked up two sheets of premium black poster board for $.97 apiece. I will tape them together with painters tape and maybe dot some background stars with a silver sharpie.

Now these are the best images I've seen so far:
hextr1p wrote:

Standard star field:

Death Star Surface:

Well done, do you mind if others use your images?

I also want to use those images... are those the ones you sent to the printer or did you have higher resolution ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using an Enhanced Deep Space game mat from Hotz Mats. It's felt with airbrushed on starfields and nebulae. Apart from the CorSec mats I think this is probably the best looking available to buy.

For those interested in reading about it I wrote a review on my blog Fire Broadside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogdiz wrote:
For those interested in reading about it I wrote a review on my blog Fire Broadside.

And your review is fairly spot on I own one of those as well, and I really like the way it looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Those are pretty.

Our copy of the game is still in the mail but I suspect that we'll just use the white gaming table that is used for everything else. Pretend that the Empire has found a new place to conquer: Whitespace. Just like regular space, only white.

Those are some beautiful playmats y'all have there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty cheap thing to do is head to the fabric section at Wal-Mart and have them cut an appropriate background to the length you want.

I bought a blue sky one a few years ago for Wings of War that was about 4' x 4' and I don't think I paid more than $10 for it. I also bought a deep blue one with lightning on it for that I've been using for Star Wars, but I'll probably head back out and see if there is a space theme one that would be better.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Koop
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mb
I am using the map Sathrican Homeworld from worldworks Wormhole paperterrain. It's a 5$ download, be warned though it comes in a lot of(32 I think) normal sized sheets that you can print and then have to put together.

Link:
http://www.worldworksgames.com/store/index.php?view=product&...

It's a nice map and depending on your local copyshop not that expensive.
I mounted it(as recommended) on a foamcore sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Richards
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick note regarding the resolution of the files I'll be sending to the printer once I find one I'm happy with.

The three images posted above are only preview images meant for viewing here, and NOT the print ready files. The print ready files are 300dpi, and the final cut size is 3' x 3' (there is a .125" bleed on all sides, so the actual size before cut is 3.25' x 3.25').

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.J.
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a star fortress set from Combat Wombat (he's here, check it out)

I'm also using a few banners I got from banners on the cheap. They are inexpensive, vinyl, and they produce & ship their product fast (but only to the US, apparently. Sorry).

I would not suggest Hotz Artworks... he took my money and never delivered product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
msg tools
hextr1p wrote:
A quick note regarding the resolution of the files I'll be sending to the printer once I find one I'm happy with.

The three images posted above are only preview images meant for viewing here, and NOT the print ready files. The print ready files are 300dpi, and the final cut size is 3' x 3' (there is a .125" bleed on all sides, so the actual size before cut is 3.25' x 3.25').

Can you put up the original files, cause those are awesome!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kadisak
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hextr1p wrote:

I absolutely love your images as well. I will second the request that perhaps you could share the larger files? I was thinking of printing a starfield from a Nasa Picture of the Day, but yours are WAY better... especialy the Deathstar surface. Wont see that on APOD :P

For printing, I was thinking of giving Artscow a shot. They will create a 48"x36" poster with a custome image for $40, but they have a 25% off coupon right now making it only $30. Here are their highlighted features.

•High quality poster paper material
•Fade Resistant UV Inks
•Free laminating

Might be gloss instead of matte finish though. If I had an original image, perhaps I could make the extra 12" on the long side into a playmat area for cards and tokens.

If anyone else has had good success with printing a custom play area, I'd love to see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.