11 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Just completed first ever game of Eclipse. A few questions.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were 4 players, 3 of us playing for the first time. Took 5.5 hours. We came across a few situations we couldn't resolve in the rule book;

1). Are you limited in the number of colony ships you can use on a single turn? One player was sure he had read 2 max per turn under certain circumstances, another said the rules implied if you can place 3 colonies, you can use them all in one go.

2). If you research the Advanced Science technology (allowing you to place a population cube on a pink science world which has a star), can you immediately fill in all of your Advanced science worlds up to a total of 3? Also, the answer here may be impacted by the answer to question 1 (ie. one player in our game had 3 advanced worlds when he researched the tech).

3). Is the only way to "capture" worlds to first win the space war, and then decimate the populations with neutron bombs? We had an end scenario where one player used his wormhole ability to jump a number of interceptors to sectors where a player had a round disk with all worlds occupied but zero ships. The attacking player had no neutron bombs. After some discussion, we agreed the move was fruitless because 2 of the attacks failed (he rolled a 1 for one ship, and a 2 for the other), thus the attackers ships were removed from the board resulting in zero loss for the player being attacked.

Thanks, and all 4 of us really enjoyed this game. There will definitely be more Eclipse in our future.

DD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dare978devil wrote:
1). Are you limited in the number of colony ships you can use on a single turn?

Only by the amount of colony ships you have available.

Quote:
2). If you research the Advanced Science technology (allowing you to place a population cube on a pink science world which has a star), can you immediately fill in all of your Advanced science worlds up to a total of 3?

Yes.

From the rules: "At any time during your action, you may activate one or more of your face up Colony Ships. For each activated Colony Ship, you may place one Population Cube to an empty Population Square in any hex where you have an Influence Disc."

Quote:
3). Is the only way to "capture" worlds to first win the space war, and then decimate the populations with neutron bombs? We had an end scenario where one player used his wormhole ability to jump a number of interceptors to sectors where a player had a round disk with all worlds occupied but zero ships. The attacking player had no neutron bombs. After some discussion, we agreed the move was fruitless because 2 of the attacks failed (he rolled a 1 for one ship, and a 2 for the other), thus the attackers ships were removed from the board resulting in zero loss for the player being attacked.

Well, if there are no defending ships, then you don't have to win a space battle. But if you don't have neutron bombs, you get one shot at the enemy cubes and if you don't kill them then yes, the attack fails.

However, the attacker won't lose the ships - nothing kills them. They remain on orbit and can attack the cubes again on the next turn (unless the opponent builds or moves ships to fight them). The planets don't have anti-spaceship weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Flynn
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1). You may use all available Colony Ships each turn. So, if you have 3 unused, you may use all 3 at once. Also, you may use the Influence Action to flip over up to 2 used Colony Ships so that they may be used again in that same round.

2). Yes, as soon as you research an Advanced technology, you may immediately colonize any planets you are now eligible for.

3). You were partly right, without the Neutron Bombs, the Interceptors had to perform attacks against the planets. But the Interceptors are not removed from the board if the attack fails. Both players pieces remain on the board and no change in ownership occurs. The Interceptors are then free to attack again next turn or move away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to add about attacking the population, you get to roll one dice per cannon and each damage done removes one population.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elkar wrote:

2). Yes, as soon as you research an Advanced technology, you may immediately colonize any planets you are now eligible for.

You do need a face up colony ship for each world you colonize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the dare978devil
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers, it's very clear now. For the planetary attack, it was in round 9, so there were no additional turns to try the attack again. I now understand why the only experienced player of the group took the interceptors off the board.

And something to remember, if you plan on sneak attacks against unwary planets, it is best to pack a neutron bomb.

DD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dare978devil wrote:
Thanks for all the answers, it's very clear now. For the planetary attack, it was in round 9, so there were no additional turns to try the attack again. I now understand why the only experienced player of the group took the interceptors off the board.

And something to remember, if you plan on sneak attacks against unwary planets, it is best to pack a neutron bomb.

DD.

I did that in my first game, but did not have enough influence discs to control them after nuking the cubes off. At least my opponent didn't gain any VP either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to clarify some things:
1. The number of colony ship tiles a player can have is limited to the specific race ability. Normally Terran has 3 colony ships, the alien might be different. Leading to 2 colony ships or 4. So, you get your colony ships amount based on your race. The rules mentioned 3 tiles since it's the basic amount.

2. Once you have researched Advance Tech, you may colonize the empty slots with your population cubes as long as you still have colony ship tiles face up. If you don't have those face up, you need to take action INF first to flip 2 of the tiles face up. Since you may use the colony ships any time during your turn, of course you can immediately use it anytime during your turn.

3. Yes, if you invade a sector controlled by other players without any defense (starbase and ships) you have the chance, at the end of battle phase, to launch an attack once against the population cubes (not with missiles). If you managed to get rid all the cubes in that sector, you may immediately place your INF disc in that sector and populate it (based on your left over colony ships). The destroyed cubes are send to the graveyard. If the attack was failed, the ships remain.

Am I good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

However, the attacker won't lose the ships - nothing kills them. They remain on orbit and can attack the cubes again on the next turn (unless the opponent builds or moves ships to fight them). The planets don't have anti-spaceship weapons.

I was just looking over the rules again and I found this on page 20...

It may not exactly apply to the previously mentioned situation; but it does mention something that could be overlooked (I know I did...)

Quote:
Stalemate If a battle ends in a situation where it's not possible
for either player to destroy the other (this may only happen
when none of the Ships in a battle are armed with a cannon),
the attacker may retreat (following the requirements
for the hex he is retreating to). If not, his Ships are destroyed.

(emphasis mine)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Scootergsp wrote:
msaari wrote:

It may not exactly apply to the previously mentioned situation; but it does mention something that could be overlooked (I know I did...)

Quote:

(emphasis mine)

Yes in that specific circumstances. But, in the OP's case, there was no battle ever occurred. Ships invade an empty (no ship or starbase) resolve in no battle but that ship(s) may perform bombing on population cubes. This does not count as battle. Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Scootergsp wrote:
msaari wrote:

Quote:

(emphasis mine)

Yes in that specific circumstances. But, in the OP's case, there was no battle ever occurred. Ships invade an empty (no ship or starbase) resolve in no battle but that ship(s) may perform bombing on population cubes. This does not count as battle. Am I right?

Correct, no battle (meaning no draw of reputation tiles) occurs if you just wiped out a system's pop cubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.