Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat h
Canada
québec
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
So I just bought this game and played a couple times with different friends, I thought I would share my humble review about it. Here it goes.

Level 7 [escape] is a great game with good re-playability. Lots of fun to be had progressing through a couple of scenarios, you can spend the night playing the game or just play one scenario which is great. Also comes in handy if one player has to leave sooner, you can just continue the other level without them and keep playing.

Storyline

I won't go into too much detail about the storyline, even though it is quite interesting and well put. The people at Privateer Press did a very good work at including narrative and story elements in the game. I think it adds a lot to the ambiance (we really enjoyed reading the short captions under the events in a panicked way!). I do believe it's a good thing to include story elements even if it is not necessary for the game play itself. So it goes like this: you awaken in an underground facility filled with military and aliens. Since many decades the military made a deal with aliens to trade some humans for advance alien technology. The storyline gathers many conspiracy theories about aliens and whatnot. Each scenario of the game also comes with it's short intro and flows in a logical way from 1 to 7. For more about the story, here's the trailer video http://youtu.be/n9NHu15Yl5k

Note on length:

Official game length can be confusing, as with the first 3-4 games you will have to regularly search through the rulebook for answers. First scenario can be very quick. Each scenario has it's exceptions and particularity that you will need to read, understand, explain and set the game properly before playing (forget the 60 min gameplay if you are playing with inexperienced players).

The good:

Game is fun and has great ambiance and re playability value, lots of pieces, awesome imagery, interesting and relevant interdependent scenarios. This game feels like one game and 3 extensions in the same box. This is definitely worth what you pay for it.

The game is immersive and really fun to play with friends. Exploring the facility and even watching others explore feels intense and dangerous. Playing with your fear level and trying to cooperate with others is interesting, but beware as soon you get closer to the end of the level (see lockdown phase) it often gets everyone for himself and you should not count on anyone doing anything but save their own butt from this point!

Given the good art, the replay value, the progressive scenarios the quantity of pieces and how the game feels like it already contains a couple extensions inside the basic game, it really shows that the people at Privateer's Press are passionate and respect their players. Just this would be enough for me to buy the game, and the future installments!

The less good:

Bad sides are (to me), lots of rules and exceptions. All different scenarios modifies the normal rules, so you always have to go back to the rulebook (it also adds variety and replay value to the game). Game setup and explaining to new players can be tedious. Rules are not badly put, but given the quantity, complexity and the fact that you often have to go back and browse through it, the rulebook would greatly benefit from being better organized and more graphical. It would really help the game to be able easily find and be able to remind rules from graphical elements, pictograms, reminder sheets included etc.. Also, the character sheets feels a little on the cheap side, but given the quantity of quality pieces included in the game, I can't exactly complain.

In some parts rules can be a little unclear, or in some rare cases contradictory. In such cases it can be hard (if possible) to find which rule prevails. Might be due to the structure of the rulebook, to the ways they are formulated or just plain omission. I expect there will be a lot of rule-related questions about this game...

So you wanna play it: (I think you should!)

I strongly recommend that you:
- watch the tutorial video before going through the rules ( http://youtu.be/wG08ZyiVfEo)
- print a second rulebook (from privateer press website: http://files.privateerpress.com/level7/docs/LEVEL_7_%5BESCAP...) before playing
- make other players watch the tutorial before playing (maybe while you setup the game)
- read the rules again after the first 2 plays
- and why not get your own character sheet printed! ( http://level7film.com/character)

Please comment and share your own thoughts on the game, how your firsts plays went? Havent yet played with 2 players only or solo, anyone did?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The first two links gave me Page Not Found errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video is here

http://privateerpress.com/videos/level-7-escape-video-tutori...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat h
Canada
québec
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Thx for the comments I edited the links, they should work now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burzukk wrote:
Also, the character sheets feels a little on the cheap side, but given the quantity of quality pieces included in the game, I can't exactly complain.

You could always laminate them. Should one have to laminate them? Some might argue that for the price you should NOT have to laminate them - that the quality should be there already. However, looking at the rest of the components I'm prepared to buy the game as is. (I'm not bothered about standees instead of miniatures either).

Who's to say what kind and quality of expansions will be released, after all Subterra BRAVO implies there's at least one other base........

Diff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat h
Canada
québec
quebec
flag msg tools
mb
DIFFLOCK wrote:
Should one have to laminate them? Some might argue that for the price you should NOT have to laminate them

I don't think you would have to laminate them, I just expected they would be made from he same hard cardboard as the tiles and other pieces. But they are closer to the cards material... The sad thing is that they tend to curve and are easy to trip onto, which is really annoying given the fact that you put a couple of pieces on your sheet to keep track of your meters. You could also create your very own character sheet with the online tool and get it laminated!

I think expansions are gonna be easy yet interesting to add to this game. Only need a dozen (or two dozen) more tiles, maybe couple more ennemies and/or items, a new senario book, then job done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.