Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Greetings,

I am rather new to the game, started my first game with a friend and got to a late Barbarossa in '42.

Though by what I perceive, by the amount of Soviet forces, and the VP requirements which are in place, it seems to me the Axis in Europe is quite hopeless in the end of the day. Especially if we consider the lousy replacements they're to get with later cards and that pratically to push the VP marker to 2 already is quite a massive feat, I am unsure how the VPs can get to 3 or 4 either unless the Axis conquer the map - and not even sure if can get to 14 on the map itself.

Any tips are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the new edition, but never give up hope!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the middle of a campaign game as the Germans right now. They are not easy to play (I am two years late with Barbarossa and I am no where near Moscow, the Allies have invaded France and Corsica).

The trick is learning the cards and the timing of when to attack and when to re-enforce. Your real pushes should be in the summer, and the winter (especially in Russia) is not your friend. Learning a rhythm that works for you is the real challenge of the game.

Hope that helps a little
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
The issue are not the forces but more how many VPs I can collect.
Well forces will be "depleted" soon enough. Both sides are far plumper in '42 for a Barbarossa in current game, than the historical '41 Scenario.
Though Sovs have a 6-9 combat value wall in Eastern Poland which is not easy to crack.

It just seems the Allies can easily snatch 3 VPs by the end of the game, that's it.
And I cannot see the Axis robbing enough Strat-Value cities to get 3 VPs themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to take advantage of Blitz combat and Explotation to get deeper into Russia. Careful of putting your units out where they can get surrounded to give the Russians more combat factors.

Remember that if you get a Dr2 or 3 that any units the retreating units move into become part of the retreat. This prevents the Russians from stacking 2-3 deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first game, I would suggest playing from the '39 start, that will minimize the variance that can spoil the Axis day with a '37 start. I don't usually have too much trouble getting to AT2; AT3 is often the highwater mark in most games.

I would take time to master important early game tactics, like the invasion of France--if that goes wrong, you are likely looking at a '42 Barbarossa which, as you note, is significantly harder.

It takes quite a bit of practice to play the Axis well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
After more testing of the game, and witnessing how the Axis wins ONLY with massive mistakes of the opponent AND luck of the dices combined, I definitely underline my preliminary statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Haley
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: invading France; I've found that the Germans have far more success with Case Yellow if they use Operation Weserubung to invade Belgium/Holland in Spring of 1940 rather than to invade Norway. It's a simple matter to occupy Belgium to the French border with a blitz attack in the first Spring turn, which puts the Germans in a much better position when they play Case Yellow in Summer. I've had no difficulty defeating France on the historical timetable using this strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have concerns about Axis balance in AE:TK due to the strength the Russians can possess along with an ability to stack 3 nice 2-step units on attack and defense. Still, the jury is still out on Axis hopelessness. am not sure of perfected defensive tactics -- for either side. It's so easy to make a blunder on defense and such a mistake can cost the German dearly late in the game in surrounded, out of supply units trapped with nowhere to go.

WRT invading France, a good tactic is to put the Blitz counter on Brussels during the first summer 40 turn of Case Yellow. The resulting "open city" retreat of the Belgians will force French units back from the border. Then some French steps can get hammered in regular combat. This makes Weserbung viable for Norway, a country with two critical strategic hexes. The Germans must secure the nation.

Also, keep in mind an early attack on Belgium triggers Allied Paris Threatened and Their Finest Hour two turns ahead of Case Yellow. That can be a big ouch if the Allies roll low on delay entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that units of Minor Countries cannot stack nor can a non-Exp minor unit enter another minor country, so you can't use a Belgian retreat to push back the French or British if they are in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh you can use them to push back the French. It is only Axis Minor Country units that can not enter other Axis Minor Countries (3.1.4). And the stacking limits are only enforced at the end of a phase or segment (check 9.2 "Important ...").

So: The Belgian unit may retreat into France, stack with French units and take them along on the Retreat. It is only at the very end of the respective combat segment, that you then have to either remove the French or the Belgians from the same stack.

The British you will not have to remove as Britain is a Major Country, not a Minor Country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I've gotten this wrong in the past, so I double checked the Consimworld forum, and we're both wrong.

Quote:
9.1 Stacking Restrictions: "Ground units of different Minor Countries cannot stack together." (

So Belgians can't stack with French. But they can retreat onto a French stack and they they die at the end of the phase for violation of 9.1 (or the French do). So sorry for the erroneous info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
France is a minor country??!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
France is a minor country??!

Yes - check 13.2.1 (Major Countries) and 13.2.2 (Minor Countries).

Scott: Can you point out where I was wrong? I do not see it yet. Maybe you have overlooked this part of the clarification under 9.2?

Quote:
You are free to violate stacking limits during any phase or segement (but will pay the penalty at the end).

Thus: You can put units of different Minor Countries in the same hex - or may have to as in my retreat example. They will just not last really long there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.