Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Le Havre» Forums » General

Subject: Bulding cards, put by each player or mark ownwership in communal area? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ned Smoredog
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a brand new player (and these threads have helped immensely so Thanks). I have a question about building. I liked an idea I read where instead of putting the built/bought buildings in front of each player as the games suggest, someone suggested placing them all in one area so all players can easily see them and then simply marking them with an appropriately colored cube (removing the cube if player sells it). My question 1 is, what does everyone think of this (and if this has been covered already please just direct me to the thread, I couldn't find one)? Good points to this vs. bad points on doing this? 2) If we did do this, how many cubes (of each color) is a reasonable number to cover most situations, in other words, what's the most number of building players will build in typical games? Not having played before I'm unsure. Thanks.

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can only speak for myself, but my groups always place buildings in front of their owner. It's easy to see what you own and what you don't, consequently it's easy to see when you should be paid for the use of your buildings and when you should pay others. It's also easy to see what kinds of selling options you have, and what kinds of building priorities you have based on what you already own.

Really, the only thing that might not be easy to see is the actual text on the buildings, but in my games players orient their own cards so that they face their opponents. After all, I can easily read my own cards upside down; they're right in front of me.

Of course, readability only matters to inexperienced players in the first place, and I don't see how putting all the buildings together in the center makes them more accessible, obviates the need for experienced players to answer questions or for inexperienced players to spend time scanning cards, etc.

That's how I see it. I don't think you gain anything by pooling cards and marking them with cubes but if that works better for a given group, more power to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an example of how I place cards in the game:

Note this is not an actual game, just a quick setup I did to show how I use the Buttery cards to indicate player rows. With this setup, you can see all the options you have to place a worker, where if each player puts cards in front of him or her then you can't easily see that.

So in this example, the top row are the cards owned by the town (I use the game setup card for the number of players as the substitute for the buttery to indicate the town), then the next row are the cards owned by the green player, then the blue player, and then the red.

I have discovered in some games I need to make two rows for the town, so if you implement this perhaps leave some space between the town's row and the first player's row in case you need it for additional city owned cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Smoredog
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's a neat setup, I like it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, most games are with 2, but if more, we usually stick a colored glass bead on each building, in the middle, to signify ownership. That said, I am scapping that and doing the rows, as pictured above. Best ideas are usually the simplest!

Edit: Although, I do agree that once your group becomes more familiar with the cards, it won't be an issue at all. You know what buildings and what routs are in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Well, I can only speak for myself, but my groups always place buildings in front of their owner. It's easy to see what you own and what you don't, consequently it's easy to see when you should be paid for the use of your buildings and when you should pay others. It's also easy to see what kinds of selling options you have, and what kinds of building priorities you have based on what you already own.

Really, the only thing that might not be easy to see is the actual text on the buildings, but in my games players orient their own cards so that they face their opponents. After all, I can easily read my own cards upside down; they're right in front of me.

Of course, readability only matters to inexperienced players in the first place, and I don't see how putting all the buildings together in the center makes them more accessible, obviates the need for experienced players to answer questions or for inexperienced players to spend time scanning cards, etc.

That's how I see it. I don't think you gain anything by pooling cards and marking them with cubes but if that works better for a given group, more power to them.

That's exactly how I (and everyone I know) play the game. Much simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that having all the buildings in a central location makes the game go quicker for my group so I use colored beads to show ownership. Many of the people in my group haven't played the game very often so they aren't sure which buildings are available for actions and it's much easier to look through all the available buildings if they're together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lotton
United States
San DIego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In front of each owner, "upside dowm" so that each other player can see them "right side up". Not flipped over, but rotated in plane 180 degrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.