Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
At my Friday Night Thing with Cardboard and Drinks, we have a tradition where the birthday-haver gets to pick the game. For my wife's 40th, she picked Dominant Species. Thanks for the excellent game. We had a number of interruptions, some good (barred owls singing love songs to each other), others not (having to ultimately evict my nongaming BIL for menacing and jerkish behavior), which lengthened the play to about four hours, but realistically the game went about three hours or less. It was about our eighth play.

We really enjoy the fact that DS is teeming with options. With our latest game the winner masterfully manipulated terrain tiles, which is the first time we'd seen that as a major strategy. Similarly, in our early games placing species on tundra was felt to be a weak play, until we'd seen someone run the table via Survival card.

I'd upgraded to the 3rd Edition for the event. I don't have a preference for the purely artistic elements of either version, but the upgraded composted quality was nice, and putting scoring data on each terrain tile was a very useful change.

Again kudos on the game design. It's the world's most confrontational Euro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game as much as you do. I don't think we are the only ones either

Well done Chad! Many thanks to you and your team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played DS first time last week. One six player game and next day one two player. Although we didn´t finished none of these games, I can´t get these animals out of my head for whole week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, folks! Glad you're having fun with this beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rumaley
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
the upgraded composted quality was nice,

That should be on the box. Contains nice compost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
PhygLeGuy wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Heh, damn iPad autocorrect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
PhygLeGuy wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

That threw me for a loop too, I thought maybe it was boardgame industry jargon for composit particle board or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.