Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game a few times with people that are new to the genre, and most of them can't think of any strategies related to the game. So they either get ordered around by a more experienced player, or I end up having to constantly make suggestions as the overlord as to how to beat myself. I'm always stuck being the overlord because being a hero sounds like more fun for them, which is fine but then I just walk all over them.

Anybody have suggestions as to how to make the game more fun when playing with beginners without compromising the fun factor for the overlord? (i.e. purposefully choosing weaker monster groups, or not playing certain cards, etc.). And at the same time still provide a challenge?
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that there's any solution for what you're asking for. The inexperienced players clearly need some sort of handicap, but it seems like you're asking how to give them a handicap without giving them a handicap.

I think the easiest thing to implement where you wouldn't have to hold back anything would just be to give the Heroes extra XP/gold, or perhaps access to the Act II Shop Deck early (say, after the second or third Act I Quest?) However, if what they lack is strategy, then giving them bonus XP/gold might not help much.

One thing you could do that would challenge you would be to randomize your open group choice (within the parameters of the Quest). You won't necessarily get the optimal monsters to play with, but once you are actually playing you won't have to hold back while you try to beat the Heroes with a bunch of Zombies and Flesh Moulders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tested this, just shooting from the hip. If you are playing against 3 or 4 inexperienced heroes, try using the monster limits for 2 or 3 heroes instead. You will have fewer monsters to work with, but you may be able to play everything else by RAW. This may compensate for the fact that the heroes aren't coordinating their tactics effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't mind explaining the elements that the heroes must be wary of (e.g. aiming the goal and not trying to kill all monsters, best use of their skills, of their gear, possible coop. coordination, etc.).
While playing my best to win (as the OL), I would not like to take advantage of my experience to whack the heroes.
My first idea is that we are out for fun - which means being more forgiving than in a competitive atmosphere, allowing take backs (but no dice rerolls), etc.
I believe that after 3-4 encounters, the players will manage without any advice from me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to give that a try Triu I never thought about that blush

"My first idea is that we are out for fun - which means being more forgiving than in a competitive atmosphere, allowing take backs (but no dice rerolls), etc." I do this already Robin so that they learn and I agree with you completely. I was just trying to come up with a way to challenge myself at the same time.

Thanks again for the feedback everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing individual Quests, giving the heroes Epic play advantages, whilst the OL keeps to his basic cards, could help too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.