Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Type of WWI game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I have a couple of ideas for a world war I game. One idea is an Axis & Allies/Risk type game where armies take entire territories. Another idea is for a hex-based game that reflects actual war conditions better. However, lots of WWI games already use hexagons. So what would you prefer?

Poll
What type of WWI game would you prefer?
take entire territories
hex-based. Only take hexes at a time
      44 answers
Poll created by bill437
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Either could be OK, depends very much on the rest of the game.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I were a lad we spent a lot of time playing a game we made up on the Diplomacy map. As much happened politically as militarily. But one of the overarching concepts was that a territories was not necessarily under complete control of any of the players. That territories could be in a contested state either with armies or political influence or both.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Either could be OK, depends very much on the rest of the game.


Wot he sed.

But I do prefer area movement games myself. Voted accordingly.

Regards

Andrew
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you've played a lot of Axis and Allies. What's your experience with WWI games? Paths of Glory uses territories (essentially) and has been successful; so did Clash of Empires (for 1914); there's a new game out there...it was PNP and now it's not...that I forget...with areas, which is supposedly very good. And then there are all the good hex-based games on WWI--Death in the Trenches, Great War in Europe, etc. It's not clear to me that the extent to which a game reflects actual war conditions depends on the map.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
Looks like you've played a lot of Axis and Allies. What's your experience with WWI games? Paths of Glory uses territories (essentially) and has been successful; so did Clash of Empires (for 1914); there's a new game out there...it was PNP and now it's not...that I forget...with areas, which is supposedly very good. And then there are all the good hex-based games on WWI--Death in the Trenches, Great War in Europe, etc. It's not clear to me that the extent to which a game reflects actual war conditions depends on the map.


I actually have not played a single WWI game. You're right, I have lots of Axis & Allies experience. I have looked up WWI games in the database and I have been reading library books on WWI.

The extent to which I thought that hexes more accurately represent the real war is this: you have to hold down a line of points any of which your opponent may break through. Hence you need trenches. If you're just taking over say all of Belgium in one move, you haven't simulated trench warfare. But, upon further consideration, I suppose taking over Belgium in one move also simulates the actual war because you could say that you just sped things up and found a way to overtake your opponent's trenches.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
out to lunch wrote:
alfredhw wrote:
Looks like you've played a lot of Axis and Allies. What's your experience with WWI games? Paths of Glory uses territories (essentially) and has been successful; so did Clash of Empires (for 1914); there's a new game out there...it was PNP and now it's not...that I forget...with areas, which is supposedly very good.


To The Last Man! you mean.

I wish there was a strategic card-driven game on the east front+Balkans, sort of PoG minus the west front.


Brad Stock (designer of Pursuit Of Glory) has been working on a game of this kind (Italian and Balkans and Eastern fronts, not Mid-east because he already did that in Pursuit) for a while now, think it was to be called Ends of Glory. Not sure how close he is to publication.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:


The extent to which I thought that hexes more accurately represent the real war is this: you have to hold down a line of points any of which your opponent may break through. Hence you need trenches. If you're just taking over say all of Belgium in one move, you haven't simulated trench warfare. But, upon further consideration, I suppose taking over Belgium in one move also simulates the actual war because you could say that you just sped things up and found a way to overtake your opponent's trenches.


This all depends very much on the scale of the game. Strategic, operational, tactical? Turns last how long? A week? Two months? Six months? What units are to be used - regiments? Divisions? Armies?

Oh and there wasn't much in the way of trenches when the Germans took out Belgium. The trenches came later...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One turn represents 6 months. I'm beginning to see that only having territories and not simulating trenches isn't so bad...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Brad Stock (designer of Pursuit Of Glory) has been working on a game of this kind (Italian and Balkans and Eastern fronts, not Mid-east because he already did that in Pursuit) for a while now, think it was to be called Ends of Glory. Not sure how close he is to publication.

I think it was End of Glory (singular). Either way, I can't wait to see it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.