Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Vinci last night with 3 players. Seemed ok but it was my first time so I made an error in not injuring the player coming after me with a new civilization. This allowed him to keep many areas in his control (with a heritage civilization) while building in other directions. Took a few turns to hurt him but it was too late. He was having 17 and 18 point turns.

4 players seems better b/c there are more people able to then gobble that stuff up?

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can always play with a dummy player- in fact I think it is suggested for 3 players. Or change your gaming style to reflect number of players, which isn't exactly unusual for euro games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Becker
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:
4 players seems better b/c there are more people able to then gobble that stuff up?wow

With 3 players it is a very competitive game in respect of reclining and chosing a new civ.
With more players (esp. 5 or 6) it's more about finding a corner on the map to have for yourself. You get so few armies that it's very hard to make a decent number of points.colonist colonist colonist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I think I just made a massive error. Should have hit the guy right after me b/c he was about to bring on a new civilization.
angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Well, you can always play with a dummy player- in fact I think it is suggested for 3 players.

I think that's only for 2 players.

Philip Thomas wrote:
Or change your gaming style to reflect number of players, which isn't exactly unusual for euro games.

Bingo! I like Vinci best with 3 or 4 players. Any more and it's too crowded for my tastes. With 3 it's a little more open and requires a bit more aggression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Vinci works fine with 3-6 players (I have played a few hundred games). The amount of control you have over the game declines while the number of players rises, but this is logical.
Which amount of players is best depends on how much chaos you like in a game. My sweet spot is 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Akke is right in that Vinci is a viable game with any number from 3 to 6 players. It plays very differently with each number (much like Puerto Rico), so one's favorite number comes down to taste. My sweet spot is four players, as I think that gives the best balance between growing a civilization and having to replace it. With six, the board is so crowded that I find you often have to replace civs almost every turn if you want to do well. I don't much care for that, but some players LOVE the game that way. Five is okay, although there's still a bit too much replacement for my tastes, but not enough to stop me from playing with that number. In my one experience with three players, I thought there was too much real estate, so that there wasn't enough interaction and civs didn't get replaced enough, but I've seen other players mention that they think the game works great with that number, so I want to try it again (and maybe play more aggressively).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
medievalbanquet wrote:
4 players seems better b/c there are more people able to then gobble that stuff up?

I prefer the 5 and 6 player game. More contention, more interaction, more delicacy in control and timing of the civilisation track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
cnd_77 wrote:
I'd have to say my favorite number is probably 5, but the game probably plays its BEST with 4. 6 is quite crowded and the last-moving player always feels screwed because they don't have a good spot to "come in" on. 3 is too sparse for me.

This is why I recommend a Twilight Imperium-style start for the initial selections of civilisations. It prevents the last player(s) from being screwed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Carlos de Diego
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinci works fine with 3-6 players. I prefer 5 players.

Regards from Spain,

JC
http://ludere.ual.es/bsk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if dummy is only suggested for 2- why not play him with 3 if you feel you aren't crowded enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 is the magic number. yes it is its the magic number.

Or 4. No, 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.