Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. It's over. Slow breaths...

Actually some of the buyers regret / losers remorse elements of the Dreadball kickstarter were reduced by having the option to post-pay for addons. This meant I really only needed to pledge for what I knew I 100% had to have - suspect I'm not alone here, and that the total funding may get up to $1m in the longer haul.

So whilst I'd like all the teams with keepers; and oh yeah, as I'll have enough for 6 simultaneous games (!) maybe a couple of extra refbots, cards, etc... I'm trying to justify this down to around a $300 pledge.

What I've got so far is:

$150 Striker
$100 8 x 8-player teams (BOGOF)
$ 16 Extra bases
$ 10 Season 2 rules (printed)
$ 10 Season 3 rules (printed)
$ 15 Shipping
----
$301

With this, I figure I've got ALL 12 teams (with at least 10 figures per team), bases for everyone, printed rulebooks for all seasons and the game shipped.

What I haven't got (yet) are:
* Extra pitches (could print my own and stick onto mountboard in the short term)
* Extra refbots or keepers (can use other minis / markers for this)
* Extra cards (wonder if a deck is shareable for two or more side-by-side games ?)
* Complete teams (so if I want to mix-up the types later on, I'll need more minis)

So hopefully with this package I'll be able to run 2-3 games side-by-side if required, with all the rules in printed form, and if the game becomes a hit look at investing in extra proper components down the track. More realistically, I'll be able to get the game out to play with any of 12 teams.

What do people think - am I missing anything here ? Have been toying with the "complete bundles", but don't think those prone markers will be used for much, and some teams don't have all three types of player so wouldn't really need 16 sculpts.

Hopefully this thread will help those with Dreadball KS fever too... or help "cure" me of my $300 limit (I'm already a dollar over...) and set me back on the path to ultimate Dreadball :O

Ben (-PW-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I couln't settle for 10 player teams, so I had to blow that extra money for full 16 player rosters for all 12 teams. Total came to $390.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh... I went double barrel.
Counting MVPs, Keepers, and Big boys.
I ended up with one 14 count team for each of the 12 races.
Each with coaches

And 2 14 count mixed teams:
3 male corp / 3 female corp / 3 dwarves / 3 judwan / Convict / Enforcer
Going to be a penal colony team
The other:
4 Bots / 5 Nameless / 4 Teradon / 1 Baracade
Coached by the Striker coach.
Going to be a rejects / castoffs team.

And that still left me with:
4 Asterians
4 Zees
3 Zzor
1 Rat
2 Orks
1 Male Corp
2 Female Corp

and Number 88 which I think we stay free lance

Not sure if I want to put that last group together for a mash pit team.

So all told, I have 14, 14 count teams.
Each with a coach, 9 of which we be modded members of their races.
Cheerleader squad
Extra dice, Refbot, Cards, and a MDF pitch.
All rulebooks, printed.
And 9 pairs of the mantic cases to hold the teams with a few to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone bought extras they do not want, I am game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeek do I really want to pay $16 to base all my models? cry

Had settled on just striker +8 teams but the praetorian proved to awesome to be left out.

btw lochmoigh you get the option to buy extra extras when they send you the survey in a week or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was just thinking I could drop the bases

My worry is that the game involves facing, and without a clear cut hex stand, you could end up with "uncertain" facing from some miniatures on the board

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering just using sticky tack to put bases on the two teams that takes to the pitch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for 610. Early bird 3x striker + season 1, 2, and 3 completist packs. Wil probably just paint a few bases to indicate keepers. Coaches and cheerleaders. Seem cool but can't justify them for the price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to say they are a bad deal, just already spending way more than I planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Was just thinking I could drop the bases

My worry is that the game involves facing, and without a clear cut hex stand, you could end up with "uncertain" facing from some miniatures on the board

You can mark the front of the model when you assemble it. Before you've painted it, a simple dot from a gel pen is works well. Afterward, you can use well-placed blood drops if you want to be thematic, or just keep the gel-pen-dot. Call it a holographic overlay if anyone gives you a hard time about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt that the figures looked pretty unstable for some of the teams, so I bought more stands....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im going to tap into the mound of magnets I have for mine.
Ill have 7 bases for each team, painted to match the team.
6 players and the Coach.
Each base will have a magnet in it, will an opposing one in the base of the mini.
Done and done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the bases being snap fit, and magnets, I'm not adding any more bases. OP, if you're basing all your minis, will 96 more bases do the trick? The BOGOF teams plus the S2/S3 models in Striker are 80 minis, and Striker comes with 56 S1 players and 19 MVPs, but only 48 bases. Your $16 gets you to 144 bases for 155 minis I think.

My plan is to make two sets of 14 bases, numbered on the base 1-14, and possibly with one edge colored or marked with an arrow to show facing. Players will snap into them to match the line numbers on the roster. That will allow me to paint/decal player numbers however I like, and still use the random player selection mechanics on the cards. Some people seemed to be planning to paint 1-14 on their players, but that's going to be a mess if you start to sub players around or hire MVPs, etc. You can always look up 1-14 on the roster sheet, but I think having it labeled on the base will be helpful.

I haven't finalized my allocation, but I know I'm going to go for full 16 player teams, 12 VHS cases (now that there are 12 teams I might go for 2 more to hold MVPs/Free Agents), and from there I'm most interested in the large models, S2 and S3 books, cheerleaders (nothing sets the Dreadball tone better than cheerleaders with riot shields and combat boots), and the for-pay MVPs next I suppose. I'll definitely be ebaying stuff off to free up some cash to finish out the package. Very happy to have been part of this KS, no buyer's remorse yet... I just have to hope the game is decent and my wife is willing to play with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steurich
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ OP

I believe you'll need a deck of cards for each active game. It sounds like you can play a one-off game without the cards, but the cards are to be part of league games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
jmstoic wrote:
@ OP

I believe you'll need a deck of cards for each active game. It sounds like you can play a one-off game without the cards, but the cards are to be part of league games.

Chris said it would work where two games were sharing the same deck, so it isn't "necessary" to have a second deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Rothacher
Switzerland
Langenthal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I went higher than 300 - I'm up to 480

The reason is, that i liked the S1 Teams, they are probably the easiest to play with (Kids!!!)
and i want a League of my own, to invite people, have tournaments etc
So I went in with a Cheerleader.
Then BOGOF S2/3 Teams - this makes 12 Minis/Team
as with ceerleader I had aready 2 of the 4 Bif guys i pledged for the other two
some bases etc.

Looking forward for december - hope to have my first tournament before Xmas :-)

The MVP I have twice will become Refs or may be go to eBay....
I spent far too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B'Cup x
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've dropped $150 on this, and without meaning to cause offence, that is as much a gamble as I am willing to take on something I've not yet played. The game does look great and if I get enough enjoyment I will purchase a few more teams at RRP. But for now I will stick with my £92 investment (which is bound to take me long enough to paint as is) x
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Baxter wrote:
I've dropped $150 on this, and without meaning to cause offence, that is as much a gamble as I am willing to take on something I've not yet played. The game does look great and if I get enough enjoyment I will purchase a few more teams at RRP. But for now I will stick with my £92 investment (which is bound to take me long enough to paint as is) x

No offence at all - a good part of my brain is saying this (esp. the "hold on, I've not really seen the full set of rules" part - a lot of the league play stuff is really just vaporware at the moment)

Still holding out at $300, with only a slight temptation to chunk down another $100 to jump into the "complete team packages".

But like you say, if the gameplay isn't great when it all comes down to it (or doesn't "pop" for me) I'll have bought a very expensive "meh" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be extremely interested from a general curiosity standpoint to hear from the guys spending upwards of $300 what in particular it was that motivated you to go big.

Beyond your individual level of disposable income I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
I would be extremely interested from a general curiosity standpoint to hear from the guys spending upwards of $300 what in particular it was that motivated you to go big.

The deals on the teams were too hard to pass up. I also ended up ponying out over $100 to get the acrylic board, a deck of cards, another ref, and another set of cards. I hope to get people in my regular gaming group playing and it would take having multiple teams so they could choose to play whichever interests them, and having a second board means playing two games at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

For me it is the freshness of a completely new miniatures board game based on sports. It was also about the polish of the presentation. Between this and Sedition Wars, they did an awesome job in getting you excited about the games. I love the tournement idea for a sports game for once.... Plus I am a completionist......

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmb
I also have to add that I felt like Mantic did a good job at listening to what people wanted. They may not have done everything, but they sure were responsive to comments made on the campaign. Unlike a lot of smaller game companies, I feel like they are positioning themselves to grow and be in business for a long time.

Their responsive nature and the good feelings I got from them made me more comfortable in spending my money on their products. It also helps that looking back at what they have done over the last few years with Kings of War and Warpath is consistent with they way they handled the Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric Rothacher
Switzerland
Langenthal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
well, that's quite easy but long to answer
I started with a cheerleader from the beginning - (pledge Level arround 50'000$)I had no idea the KS could go that far. I wanted at least 8 teams, even better 12, because I planned to use DB as a Game for several purposes in my family, with friends and might be with a group of young people - I needed 12 Teams.
Well things went on, and I rose my pledge, overhelmed by all the stuff comin in... MDF boards etc
I hesitated, changed my pledge to Striker and S2 Teams, S3 Teams came in, then the 'fill-up for 85$ - and I rethought my plans...
I went back to cheerleader, and season 2&3 teams BOGOF - this gives me 12 Figs/Team - I think this is enough, having 2 of the multiple Hexes already (2xStriker) i went for the two I did not have and added a lots of bases and because "the weather was so nice" i added the two last stretch goals (both MVPs).

Now I have 16 Teams with at least 12 Players each at a fairly reasonable price (30$/team nearly 40 MVP's included). This gives me the possibility to host Tournaments also for the Kids round here - has something to do with my work.

I believe DB fits very well in here, it's spectacular - of course I will paint the minis-, it does not last too long to play, it is mean (it's so much more fun) and i think the kids will like it and also the buddies I usually play with.

The deal is awesome and came in right on time, the more a few weeks ago I rejected starting with Bloodbowl because it is darn to long to play and to complex for the buddies I usually play with.
Honestly: DB seems to be exactly what I was looking for....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, im a completionist.
Relic knights I got all 6 forces.
Uncharted seas I have massive fleets for 4 of the 8 races.
Warhammer 40k I have 8000+ point armies for Necrons, Tyranids, Space Marines and 1500 point armies of all the other races.

Second, the prices. I figure ill like it and eventually want everything.
If I don't like it, ill sell it off and im sure break even since I paid half retail for most of what I bought.
So I figure its a fairly safe investment that way.

Third, I love models. I enjoy the games. But the models for me are always the first thought. This is the single biggest reason.
I ended ip spending about $3 a model including the teams, coaches, cheerleaders, half a dozen big guys, and all the mvps.

Lastly, how Mantic handled everything and the look of the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Crumb Sheik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I didn't go superbig, still $273.

It was definitely a case of the next option always being such a good deal but now looking back I can actually see just Keeper as a viable option for me at $95.

Being a bloodbowl coach I know how much I love playing different teams though so Striker was the next option although paying $70 for just dwarfs and skaven is very steep as all the rest of the amazing striker goodies is really just cool extras I think but not that important as a whole new team.

I think the thing that tipped me was the release of Female Corp, Robots and Judwan, I really wanted those teams and they made the game as a whole much more interesting for me and then suddenly the extra players and MVPs from striker started making sense and the buy 2 teams for $25 also only available to striker. Asterians came later which I also love and I like the monkeys and lizards too.

Now I had some options.

$95, almost 1/3 of the final price but still as expensive as any other boardgame I might splash out on so definitely an expense that could be felt.

Keeper+judwan+robots+asterians+female $175 for 6 teams but now it is already getting really expensive so why not spend the last +$90 to get double the amount of teams with more models and tons of MVPs. This middle ground wasn't really an option.

So in the end it was striker and all teams at $265 and what the heck add in preatorian just because. Actually I was considering the big lizard MVP, 1 or 2 more multihex models and maybe some keepers also so this was where my restraint finally kicked in and I picked the 1 option I wanted the most and that was the preatorian.

To sum up getting my favorite teams was really what did it.

(If I could have gotten keeper+2 teams but that could have been my 4 favourite teams that might have been enough)

Phew this got long winded but thinking a bit more about it was actually pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.