Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Rally of Wales (Great Britain)

This is meant to be an English language compliment to the MRC competition found at www.rallyman.fr.
We will try to run the same event on the same timetable.
You can post your results to me, and share your highs and lows with a report in this thread below.

This month we are in Wales, running on a mix of asphalt and dirt.

Rallyman components required: Rallyman base game, Rallyman DIRT expansion, Ace Driver Card (opt), SISU card (opt).

Course book:
Either download the roadbook, or click on the stage thumbnails below.
PDF Download (French): http://www.rallyman.fr/images/fichiers/roadbooks/rallye_gran...
Images of stages:

Current number of cars finished:

General Rules and guidelines as follows.
d10-0 The Rally of Wales course book can be found at the link above. Alternatively, you can click on the thumbnails and grab the stages from my gallery.
d10-1 Please submit results for Stages ES1 to ES3 by the 15th. I'll post a mid Rally update around the 16th.
d10-2 Please submit results for Stages ES4 to ES6 by the end of the month.
d10-3 Submit results by BGG geekmail to me (dougadamsau) - I'll collate the information and post at the end of the event.
d10-4 For each stage, please report total net time for the run; time attack seconds remaining; type of tyres used; number of cards in your gear deck. e.g. Net time 3:22, Soft, 34 seconds, 10 cards.
d10-5 No cheating. This is just for fun. Do one run on each stage. If you crash, you crash!
d10-6 One use of SISU OR Ace Driver (not both!) card permitted on stages 1 to 3, and again one use permitted on stages 4 to 6.
d10-7 Any Rallyman tyre type is permitted: Asphalt, Dirt, Snow (Dirt), Snow, Soft.
d10-8 Assistance (repairs) and tyre changes allowed after each stage.
d10-9 Feel free to post a report on your runs to this thread below, but keep times to yourself.
d10-1d10-0 No hard rules on practicing a course before your run. Personally, I study the route and drive it once, that time stands.
d10-1d10-1 I reserve the right to tweak these guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Results: BGG Rally of Wales (Great Britain), October 2012.

Format: Net time / Tyres / Time Attack % / Cards used
Tyres : As (Asphalt), Di (Dirt), Sn (Snow), Sf (Soft), Sd (Snow/Dirt)

|-----+---------+--------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------|
| Pos | Time | Driver | Stage 1 | Stage 2 | Stage 3 | Stage 4 | Stage 5 | Stage 6 |
|-----+---------+--------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------+-------------------|
| 1 | 18:29 | Zeede | 2:49 As 77 9C | 3:05 Di 11 10C | 3:52 Sf 45 16C | 3:51 Di 34 14C | 3:07 Di 39 13C | 1:45 Sf 46 11C |
| 2 | 21:04 | simem | 2:39 As 77 10C | 4:40 Di 46 11C | 4:26 Di 39 15C | 4:33 Di 30 13C | 3:10 Di 51 12C | 1:36 Sf 81 11C |
| 3 | 21:13 | hendo | 3:46 As 85 10C | 3:08 Di 4 10C | 4:23 Di 77 14C | 4:41 Di 34 13C | 3:37 Di 22 12C | 1:38 Sf 77 11C |
| 4 | 22:02 | lambra | 4:23 As 117 13C | 3:11 Di 20 12C | 4:19 Di 67 17C | 4:44 Sf 65 14C | 3:48 Di 89 14C | 1:37 Sf 79 11C |
| 5 | 22:56 | Thamos von Nostria | 3:20 Sf 50 11C | 4:13 Di 62 11C | 4:38 Sf 52 17C | 5:32 Sf 50 17C | 3:26 Di 41 13C | 1:47 Sf 61 11C |
| 6 | 23:07 | dmcke013 | 3:09 Sf 102 11C | 5:02 Di 88 13C | 4:25 Di 73 15C | 4:36 Di 98 15C | 4:02 Di 48 15C | 1:53 Sf 87 12C |
| 7 | 23:46 | dougadamsau | 5:41 Sf 97 11C | 3:48 Di 27 9C | 4:28 Sf 52 15C | 4:04 Di 65 12C | 3:38 Di 55 14C | 2:07 Sf 61 11C |
| 8 | 26:04 | davidm | 3:00 As 75 9C | 2:56 Di 55 9C | 4:24 Sf 42 14C | 5:45 Di 81 15C | 4:14 Di 62 13C | 5:45 Sf 101 14C |
| nr | 11:30 | chrisd | 3:29 As 102 9C | 3:52 Di 81 10C | 4:09 Di 132 19C | | | |
| nr | 14:19 | worm | 3:42 Sf 45 12C | 5:50 Di 46 15C | 4:47 Sf 54 18C | | | |

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played through stage 1 here at work over lunch. We have five drivers and it took 40 minutes, which was good going.

Absolute disaster for me - I was the first driver on the road, driving the ghost white car (i.e. unpainted!) and punctured on turn 2. Every one else made it through that shortcut unscathed.

Being a gas die down compromised my plans so I just resorted to getting home by chaining up and down the gear box. Two crashes didn't help, particularly the 4 dice roll while on S2 of my soft tyres. I don't think I'll ever time attack again.

The four other drivers all had their moments, suffering at least one crash. Only Sime used his SISU card, and came in with a terrific time. He leads our local league, and I'm bookending the field with a terrible time.

Photo of the action - apologies for the flash off my ghost car

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Two players plotting the road ahead. Real Rallymen do it in their head.

Three of us completed the first half of the rally over lunch today. Dave again had a clean run through both stages. Sime again had filthy time attack luck on the first stage, with two or three crashes (already used SISU in the first stage). I had an off, and totally forgot I had the SISU available - in retrospect I would have held it for the longer, trickier SS3.

Stage 3 was interesting - a mix of tarmac and dirt. Dave and I took soft tyres, Sime took dirt tyres. We all drove the course quite differently, yet ended up within four seconds of each other. We had a debate about the intersection near A0/A9, a 4th gear jump, and ruled the jump affected the intersection no matter what direction you approached it from.

Great fun as always.

Stage 1-3 results posted early next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
mid-month already?!

Yikes: I'd better get cracking on this month's rally, then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Worm
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcke013 wrote:
mid-month already?!

Yikes: I'd better get cracking on this month's rally, then!

Thanks for the reminder prompt - results submitted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only getting a chance to look at this today, so just to confirm:

A) if we miss the deadline for stages 1 to 3, can we still submit stages 1 to 6 at a later date? (I think the answer is 'yes', but just want to be sure)

B) On the dirt tracks, are we taking the white or orange dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you have the whole month to complete the rally. You don't have to complete stages 1-3 before half month.

Don't worry about red dice, unless you have to (i.e. soft tyres on dirt, etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Half month results here...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10182163#10182163

Of course, anybody can still run these stages. Just fire me a geek mail with your numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally finished stages 1 to 3, so here goes:

Stage 1: Nothing to report!

Stage 2: Took this course as carefully as I could, but still managed to spin out heading towards the finish line (saved my SISU for next stage)

Stage 3: Had a (very) early spin-out, but as this was on a low gear I decided to save my SISU. Just as well I did - I needed it later towards the end of the course when I would have otherwise lost control in a much higher gear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
High drama as we sat down to play Trains over lunch today.

We found this item on the floor from yesterday's game.

A quick check of seat positions indicated this was hendo's card, from yesterday's Rally of Great Britain SS3.

Accusations, and a little mud, were thrown. Hendo, who is an android, re-ran the stage in his head and admitted the card was his. Times have been adjusted.

Hendo(*) now has an asterisk, which will follow his results around. You never want an asterisk next to your name. Ever. Isn't that right, Sime(*)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sime Mardesic
Australia
Bacchus Marsh
Victoria
flag msg tools
Clean sheet here. Hendo(*), hendo(*), hendo(*), how the mighty have fallen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcke013 wrote:
Finally finished stages 1 to 3, so here goes:

Stage 1: Nothing to report!

Stage 2: Took this course as carefully as I could, but still managed to spin out heading towards the finish line (saved my SISU for next stage)

Stage 3: Had a (very) early spin-out, but as this was on a low gear I decided to save my SISU. Just as well I did - I needed it later towards the end of the course when I would have otherwise lost control in a much higher gear!

Managed to get a bit of free time this weekend, so ran the final three stages:

Stage 4: While it started off fine, unfortunately I suffered a puncture on the third (i.e. dirt) board while taking a shortcut through the mountains, which meant I limped over the finish line one acceleration die short.

Stage 5: A clean run, only made so through the use of my SISU card when I otherwise would have lost control on the final (dirt) stretch of the track.

Stage 6: Uneventful run, which seemed quite fast (but is probably anything but!)

Anyone any idea what November's rally is yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmcke013 wrote:
Anyone any idea what November's rally is yet?

Last time I checked, there was nothing on www.rallyman.fr for November.

Just for fun, I designed a "Rally Down Under", with some weird, untested layouts. I may run that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we've finished Great Britain/Wales here at work. Real tense, nail biting stuff. I was never in it, after totally stinking up the first stage, but our mini-Rally literally came down to time attack rolls on the final stage, on soft tyres. One crash, and it was over. Fantastic stuff.

Times look solid - be interesting to compare them with the rest of the world. Especially since Zeede has retired and given the rest of us a chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, what?

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Huh, what?

Cameron

Oh, he's still here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished the first three stages. I was using the orange dice when on dirt sections. Am I the only one using the orange dice? I know the official WRC has the first three drivers using it, but they also have a lot more participants.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Just finished the first three stages. I was using the orange dice when on dirt sections. Am I the only one using the orange dice? I know the official WRC has the first three drivers using it, but they also have a lot more participants.

Cameron

My understanding was that for our rallys we were going to all use white die, assuming the track had been swept ahead of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully will get my run in tonight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, but Doug used the orange dice in the first rally of our BGG WRC.

Well, I already ran it with orange dice (and looked at the results after I'd done my runs) so unless Doug tells me not to I will continue to do so.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, is Stage 5 supposed to be P7 - ... - J6? Because the picture has the Start and Finish icons opposite what the route plan says.

Also, based on David's comment about using his SISU card on the final stretch (dirt) leads me to believe some of us may be running this stage opposite from each other.

On the Rallyman.fr forums they seem to indicate that the race notes are correct, the picture just has the icons switched. So, I will run it starting with P7 and ending at J6.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
Zeede wrote:

Cameron

My understanding was that for our rallys we were going to all use white die, assuming the track had been swept ahead of us.

Yeah, this. I'm not tallying points from rally to rally, so only use the red dice if the tyre/road surface dictates it (see the dashboards). Otherwise just roll white dice for dirt tyres on dirt roads, and assume none of us are leading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Guys, is Stage 5 supposed to be P7 - ... - J6? Because the picture has the Start and Finish icons opposite what the route plan says.

Also, based on David's comment about using his SISU card on the final stretch (dirt) leads me to believe some of us may be running this stage opposite from each other.

On the Rallyman.fr forums they seem to indicate that the race notes are correct, the picture just has the icons switched. So, I will run it starting with P7 and ending at J6.

Cameron

Oops. We ran it from bottom to top, J6 to P7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, well I just finished Stage 5 and I have been using the Orange dice whenever I was on gravel.

I'm too lazy to go rerun the stages at this point.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.