Subject: Running out of cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like an idiot, but I can't find out what happens when you run out of cards in a hero deck, is it reshuffle? I see no faq answers for it, so I feel like it's something I should be finding but am just overlooking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Shadrach wrote:
I feel like an idiot, but I can't find out what happens when you run out of cards in a hero deck, is it reshuffle? I see no faq answers for it, so I feel like it's something I should be finding but am just overlooking.

It isn't addressed but my assumption was that you do not reshuffle but keep playing with the cards you have in front of you and in hand. But I have never gotten to the point where I need to reshuffle anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Huff
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
Last played: Imperial Assault
badge
Last played: Imperial Assault
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read about this yesterday.

http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/gameplay?page=7

The last page of the gameplay portion explains it:

Quote:
Note: there is no limit to the number of cards a player may have in hand or in play. If a deck ever runs out of cards, simply shuffle that deck's Trash, make it the new deck, and continue playing. You won't lose the game for a fiddly reason, like running out of cards or not having enough resources. You'll lose the game because a mad scientist pulled the moon into the earth, or a giant rampaging robot crushed you and your teammates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mosesdawson wrote:

Quote:
Note: there is no limit to the number of cards a player may have in hand or in play. If a deck ever runs out of cards, simply shuffle that deck's Trash, make it the new deck, and continue playing. You won't lose the game for a fiddly reason, like running out of cards or not having enough resources. You'll lose the game because a mad scientist pulled the moon into the earth, or a giant rampaging robot crushed you and your teammates!

That was a really awesome find. Too bad they didn't have some means of including that into written instructions within the game.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
mosesdawson wrote:

Quote:

That was a really awesome find. Too bad they didn't have some means of including that into written instructions within the game.... shake

It's in the original rule book -> Top of page 6: Gameplay.
It somehow got missed in the enhanced edition rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A really important additional question is WHEN does a deck get reshuffled? Is it reshuffled AS SOON as it runs out, or is it as soon as you have to draw a card and there are no more cards to draw? (This is relevant for bosses like Akash'buta)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
sstrunks5555 wrote:
A really important additional question is WHEN does a deck get reshuffled? Is it reshuffled AS SOON as it runs out, or is it as soon as you have to draw a card and there are no more cards to draw? (This is relevant for bosses like Akash'buta)

As written -- "If a deck ever runs out of cards, simply shuffle that deck's Trash, make it the new deck, and continue playing." -- that sounds like you should reshuffle as soon as the deck is empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I thought at first. But, you actually don't. You reshuffle when you have or want to draw. This is important because of heroes like Tachyon who needs her discard pile. So, she can control this better. I read this in a thread here or at >G. I won't be able to give you a reference but this what I learnt and I thought it could help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
That is what I thought at first. But, you actually don't. You reshuffle when you have or want to draw. This is important because of heroes like Tachyon who needs her discard pile. So, she can control this better. I read this in a thread here or at >G. I won't be able to give you a reference but this what I learnt and I thought it could help you.

Agreed on all points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Arcus-Goldberg
United States
Natick
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How about when this happens?

Tachyon's deck is run out. She plays Quick Insight (Draw 3 cards. Discard 2 cards.). Where does Quick Insight go? Does it remain on the table while you shuffle and draw and then add it to the new discard? Does it go into the discard immediately and then can be drawn again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tevacircus wrote:
How about when this happens?

Tachyon's deck is run out. She plays Quick Insight (Draw 3 cards. Discard 2 cards.). Where does Quick Insight go? Does it remain on the table while you shuffle and draw and then add it to the new discard? Does it go into the discard immediately and then can be drawn again?
While it isn't addressed very explicitly, I've always played that oneshots stay in play until they are fully resolved. Though for oneshots with the last instruction "play a card" I often get lazy and just put it in the trash before starting the next card. For the large majority of cases it of course makes no difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey
South Korea
Chungju
Chungbuk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What's the point of a card that says to use a power you must discard 5 cards. One of Spite's drugs is like this but if you just reshuffle if you run out of cards this doesn't seem like it would hurt you at all.

Are there anyways cards are removed from the game rather than put in the trash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miar wrote:
What's the point of a card that says to use a power you must discard 5 cards. One of Spite's drugs is like this but if you just reshuffle if you run out of cards this doesn't seem like it would hurt you at all.

The point is that it delays you a bunch. Most of the heroes will see no advantage in discarding cards, you will in all likelihood discard a card you were hoping to use at some point and since you only draw one card per turn, it will take a while to rebuild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey
South Korea
Chungju
Chungbuk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah wait.. this is out of your hand.. not off the top of your deck. I was thinking this was off the top of your deck. Guess we will play it right next time, Thanks!

edit: hmm just rechecked the card it is off the top of the deck. In which case you haven't drawn them. Doesn't seem like it would slow you down. If you run out you just reshuffle and use those. And there are some things that say you can take something out of the trash. This would actually seem to be a help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miar wrote:

Some heroes can stack their deck. Some heroes _really_ need specific cards, so having them go into the trash is painful. Some heroes want to have certain cards in their trash, so emptying the deck and forcing the trash to go into the deck is a problem. But, yeah, this usually isn't a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miar wrote:
Ah wait.. this is out of your hand.. not off the top of your deck. I was thinking this was off the top of your deck. Guess we will play it right next time, Thanks!

edit: hmm just rechecked the card it is off the top of the deck. In which case you haven't drawn them. Doesn't seem like it would slow you down. If you run out you just reshuffle and use those. And there are some things that say you can take something out of the trash. This would actually seem to be a help.

I see, you were talking about a specific Spite card. I was just thinking about discarding in general. The next guy's answer was much better than mine. Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was confused on this. I wonder why it wasn't included in the enhanced edition manual. I must've read through that thing three times just looking for this one rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
LargeGoblin wrote:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was confused on this. I wonder why it wasn't included in the enhanced edition manual. I must've read through that thing three times just looking for this one rule.

Layout was revised quite a bit. Probably an accidental cut or it got buried behind a graphic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.