Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! I just described Macao in another thread in terms similar to the title of this one. I have found precious few games that I enjoy as much as Macao. I think this is mostly because not many games ask of players what Macao asks of its players. Macao asks its players to constantly consider random data(dice rolls and cards) and determine the best course of action based on this. However, this random data and question keeps coming every round. The person that best manages the given data, and plans for potential future data is the one that will likely win.

So my question is this: Are there other games that offer this? I am still fairly new to the boardgaming hobby but I have noticed most of the top 200(that I have looked into) games seem to offer players consistent factors with predictable patterns and the winner is the one takes advantage of these the best(I am saying this as one who only really looks into eurogames). However, Macao's mixture of control amidst chaos is what I desire. I don't want to form a plan and see it come to fruition. I want to be forced to constantly prepare and plan for various possibilities and tweak my plans continuously as I go. Notice, however, that I still use that word "plan". Macao gives you a framework to work towards specific strategies, yet forces you to change these and tweak them as you go.

Any other games like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockpaper Scissors
United States
flag msg tools
Have you tried any deckbuilding games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Thalamus
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Kingsburg

Alien Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to enjoy games like that too. Here are some games in the Top 200 that I'd classify in that category:

Mage Knight Board Game

Race for the Galaxy

Ra

Galaxy Trucker

Glory to Rome

Cosmic Encounter

Carcassonne

Catan

Acquire

Up Front

San Juan

Magic: The Gathering

Ingenious

Innovation

Citadels

King of Tokyo

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!

RoboRally

For Sale

Thebes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shane: I have looked at Troyes before but I think it's a little to weighty for those I game with. Also, it just hasn't grabbed me like so of the other weightier games that I am willing to take a chance on with those I game with(like Trajan). I would love to try this sometime though! There's definately downsides to living in smalltown Alberta where there aren't many opportunities to try games through other BGGers.

On another note re: something we talked about a long time ago. A BGGer moved to a town 20 minutes from here that owns TTA. I might actually get to try that someday in the not so distant future.

Rockpaper: I have only tried the Dominion App. Not a big fan though. Somwhow dice is okay for me, but the card draws seem to random(I still don't know why I feel this way). Also, I found that the cards didn't feel variable enough(In the Dominion App anyways). A good friend tells me this disappears pretty quickly with even just one expansion. However, I just don't think this type of card game will go over well with those I normally game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joan: thanks! I'll check Kingsburg out again. I was thinking about it for a long time and I am not sure why I cut it from my wishlist anymore. Alien Frontiers is a no go for theme issues.

Eric: I am a little confused. I listed Macao as my example game(a game I list a 10) and I noticed you only rate it a 6. I wonder if perhaps you have interpreted my post incorrectly? Or is there something besides gameplay that turned you off of Macao?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I tend to enjoy games like that too. Here are some games in the Top 200 that I'd classify in that category:

I like this response in particular because many of the games mentioned here involve players managing randomness in very different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
Any other games like this?

Uhhhh...almost any wargame ever written? Even the SciFi ones with space battles and such.

Every attack has a largely random result, that you have a certain amount of control over by trying to position things to the best of your ability...but even the best laid plans can fall apart with a few unlucky rolls, and now you are scrambling to your plan B.

Tactical-level wargames are very like you describe - you have an initial framework of a plan, based on your best estimate of what your opponent will do and your own unit capabilities, but once battle starts...so many things are changing so rapidly that the winner is the person who can best manage the chaos and randomness around them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic encounter - but you don't manage the chaos of CE. My goodness, no, you take your surf board and ride it.

Galaxy Trucker - ditto: riding the chaos. Even more so: it doesn't even matter who wins. Look ma, no hands.

Tales of arabian Night: no control what so ever, winning is pointless. By playing it however, you're showing you're in the hobby for the right reasons.

RFTG - its a MPS, but crucial to your success is when and how do you decide for a strategy depending on cards you've been given and hoping you'll get (mostly you try building an engine that will get you more cards to choose from). I wouldn't say the game is about random, but it is about working with what you've been given (as are many card games, though I don't think deck builders count here - too much control).

Citadels for me is more about double think, than managing chaos, Survive! is a game pretty much dependant on groupthink of players around the table. Depends on what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Teixeira
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Troyes (and Tournay btw)

+1 Race for the Galaxy

oh.. and Carcassone / Catan also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:

Eric: I am a little confused. I listed Macao as my example game(a game I list a 10) and I noticed you only rate it a 6. I wonder if perhaps you have interpreted my post incorrectly? Or is there something besides gameplay that turned you off of Macao?

Eric's list is pretty good, regardless of his rating of Macao.

I'll add Attika, BIOS: Megafauna, Carcassonne, Empire Builder, Factory Fun, Key Harvest, Kingdom Builder, Mah Jong, Masons, Saint Petersburg, Yspahan, and 99% of all games designed by Reiner Knizia.

Nearly everything by Colovini, Dorra, Sackson, or Schacht, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the games where you draw cards from a central stack (such as Race for the Galaxy) are great examples of this. You can't plan a strategy ahead of time -- you have to go with whatever cards you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I myself havent played it yet and its only for 2 players, but Jambo seems to fit your description and looks promising. And for a light filler, Alea Iacta Est is a charming game that asks players to constantly adjust strategies based on their dice. AIE is not a game night feature, but its a filler I love to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and Backgammon... quite possibly the quintessential game in the category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot the dice based euros would work for you.

Roll Through the Ages: The Late Bronze Age comes to mind as one you might enjoy.

You also might want to look into:

Yspahan
Lords of Vegas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Petz, which is a game I own.

But I hear any Vlaada Chvátil game is one of chaos management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Well, In the Year of the Dragon is also designed by Macao's Stefan Feld. It's a game where the main random element, the availablity of the action selection, can be mediated by controlling the player order. Also, 10 bad events are going to happen in the last 10 turns of the game. Their order is randomized each game but they're displayed so that you can plan for them. I just started playing this a couple of days ago. Love it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Dominant Species!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl, I don't dislike Macao. A '6' is a somewhat above average rating for me. I'm quite willing to play it, and I own a copy. But I wasn't trying to list games just like Macao, but games where you have a lot of randomness thrown at you and you need to deal with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:

Dominant Species!

+1

Although it's really player-induced chaos rather than true randomness. Whoever clings on through the chaos the best will win. Awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder
Each turn you draw 1 terrain card which dictates where you have to play. Make Lemonaide out of Lemons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Masons probably falls into this category. I love it personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.