Subject: Patrol Vs. NP Farc & Cano Limon combo - possible way to manage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I am making my way through my first solitaire game, and wondered if my play here is fine?

Goverment and FARC are the only factions eligible. Card is Cano Limon.

The FARC had just had a monster march where they ended up on almost every LOC the card before last. As the Government, I wasn't too stressed, as I have Meteoro in effect, and knew I could counter it with an equally monstrous Patrol and free Assault on every FARC cube I could get to (although it leaves a lot of cities open).

I choose to Patrol, and send troops and police wildly flying up and down LOCs until they encounter, and then free Assault every rebel they could reach (which was all of them).

Two questions:

1. The city of Cucuta has 2 cartels bases and 1 AUC base - since there are no guerrillas (per the text of the instructions), I presume a police cube can jump over them to get to the FARC guerrilla sitting on the Arauca 3 Econ pipeline?

2. Also, seeing the event upcoming with the FARC to play, is it legal and good play to leave a 1 Econ pipeline open for the event ("Sabotage the 3 pipelines with highest value and no cubes")? The event should happen, since it has an effect (sabotage one 1 Econ pipeline I deliberately leave open), but it has the better result of causing the NP FARC to just do that instead of a potentially more impactful round of operations. I know this is shamelessly manipulating the 'bots, but how would you play it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Hope you're enjoying it.

Yes, you can keep moving on Patrol through a City that has Insurgent Bases but no Guerrillas.

-- However, note that Cucuta (like any City and like Departments) may contain no more than 2 Bases total regardless of Factions (one of AA's few Stacking rules).

Regarding allowing a Sabotage to prevent other NP Ops, yes perfectly legal, and clever. Then again, you are paying for it having cubes on all those LoCs.

-- The bots won't always do what appears the smartest move. So really up to you and what you are after, how you play (NPs as written, or you making some key decisions for them for the sake of narrative or of more challenging opponents).

-- Another way for you to go would be to deny yourself the look ahead to exploit against the NPs: play with the No Reveal option to cut down on your ability to predict what the bots will be doing.

Please let me know how it turns out! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for the quick response! That all makes sense. I had the extra base by accident because the cities don't have designated spots for the bases (so you easily know when they are full), so I have to pay closer attention to that.

I know it must be a challenge to get a bot to beat a human player, let alone coordinate 3! But it is really useful having the solitaire option: when I opened the box I set up a game and tried to play each faction, to the best of my ability. I thought, "this isn't like Labyrinth, the cards are on display for all to see, so this should be easy to play all 4 sides." Wow, what a mind-bender! It would probably be fine for a player with experience, but for all those new players out there, don't even try it. Just use the flowcharts, and all will become clearer. And you have a good challenge in the solitaire version!

I like the no-reveal suggestion. I think I will use that next time I play a solitaire game. As it is, it has been stressful enough as I have been praying not to see a propaganda card while I try and work out my plans before it arrives. Not being able to see into the future will really raise the stakes.

On a side note, sometimes the bots do some neat things on their own. I had a turn where the FARC did some kidnapping on the Cartels, and the next turn there was a retaliation (some nasty bribery) that took the FARC out of the lead position! It was like a real vendetta being played out, and that is a testament to your solitaire system!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Quinn
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Volko wrote:

-- Another way for you to go would be to deny yourself the look ahead to exploit against the NPs: play with the No Reveal option to cut down on your ability to predict what the bots will be doing.

I had been thinking about doing this after my first win (COIN Progress) in 15 solo games. Seeing the card ahead had really helped, particularly towards the end. But then I paused and thought "Hang on, that was my first win in 15 games, and I want to make things harder?!"

Of course I chose to do a session report on my next game and not this one so I fear things will go back to how they were...

Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreat2 wrote:
On a side note, sometimes the bots do some neat things on their own. I had a turn where the FARC did some kidnapping on the Cartels, and the next turn there was a retaliation (some nasty bribery) that took the FARC out of the lead position! It was like a real vendetta being played out, and that is a testament to your solitaire system!

Cool! Thanks for that. I find solo that I'm often anxiously waiting as the Govt for the AUC to get off it's bot butt and strike the FARC, because I tend to work harder to keep the Cartels in bounds (having seen how quickly the NP Cartels can grow if ignored too long). So feeling like you're in a 4-way game even though it's really just you at the table is an important part of what I was going for. --vfr
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.