Popular Tags: [View All]
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I made it further than ever before at the artvsart event Friday night. I came in THIRD. I lost to the "care bear" painting, and when Mike spun the wheel of death, it once again came up on INSTANT DEATH for me. A man came out in a Michael Myers outfit and proceeded to stab my painting for several merciless minutes with a big knife while I stared in horror, watching my 350 dollar starting bid go up in smoke. Tragic.
It did lose to the winner of the night tho.

The funny thing was, after my destruction, care bear went head to head with a robot on a swing. People cheered louder for the care bear, but when the MC announced it was the winner of the competition, IT GOT BOOED. The artist wasn't sure how to react. I don't know if the people didn't realize it was the title bout or what. It was really strange.

All in all a good time. So thanks for helping me get there, to everyone who voted for my robot space monkey eating a taco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ouch. Rest in peace, little monkey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
They destroyed your painting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
They destroyed your painting?

yes. Artvsart.net is a contest where the combatants pay 15 bucks for supplies (so everyone is on equal terms) and given only 4 hours to paint something. Anything you want. Then they put the paintings online for voting. Out of one hundred and some entrants, I was in the top 32 thanks to voters! Those 32 go to the event held Last Friday.
They are placed on easels like an art show and people that attend the event vote again, taking the 32 down to 16. Those 16 are then bracketed down to pairs.
Each pair is voted on by a decibel-meter thru cheers from the audience. The loser of the bout is subjected to a spin of "THE WHEEL OF DEATH" which has things on it like chainsaw, michael meyers, acid bath, gene simmons, etc. and is auctioned off. If no one buys it, it gets destroyed via the method spun. Unfortunately there is also "instant death" on the wheel, for which there is NO auction. Mine landed on that.
The real tragedy is that each round, the minimum bid for auction goes up one hundred dollars. If it'd not landed on instant death, the minimum bid was 350 bucks... Ohhhh I feel ill all over again...

It's great fun. the crowd is bloodthirsty, and when the wheel hit instant death, the place erupted in screams of joy.
LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a video from last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0EcDI4YTGI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the winner get?
What happens if no one bids the $350 minimum?
Ok, it's destroyed, I saw the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner gets the trophy belt and four thousand dollars!

I almost always sell my painting, netting at least 70 bucks. The artist gets 70 percent of the sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I am abhorred by what is happening there, but if you had fun, then I guess it is all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
I made it further than ever before at the artvsart event Friday night. I came in THIRD. I lost to the "care bear" painting, and when Mike spun the wheel of death, it once again came up on INSTANT DEATH for me. A man came out in a Michael Myers outfit and proceeded to stab my painting for several merciless minutes with a big knife while I stared in horror, watching my 350 dollar starting bid go up in smoke. Tragic.
It did lose to the winner of the night tho.

The funny thing was, after my destruction, care bear went head to head with a robot on a swing. People cheered louder for the care bear, but when the MC announced it was the winner of the competition, IT GOT BOOED. The artist wasn't sure how to react. I don't know if the people didn't realize it was the title bout or what. It was really strange.

All in all a good time. So thanks for helping me get there, to everyone who voted for my robot space monkey eating a taco.

Next year paint the monkey eating a burrito and you'll take down the competition for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the bracket breakdown with the winner...ugh I got beat by a stinkin' carebear. yeah he got 4 grand for 4 hours work. One day... one day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
For some reason I am abhorred by what is happening there, but if you had fun, then I guess it is all good.

It seems very wasteful to me. But the crowd seems to enjoy it, it benefits charity and the artists know what is coming when they sign up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, only 4 paintings got destroyed. the rest were bought and 30 percent of the money goes to charity, 70 to the artist.

2 were instant death and 2 were too ugly to buy. LOL! You gotta give the audience something. After all, the title is Art vs art, some art will die.

I think most artists are horrified by the thought of their baby getting destroyed, but my thinking is, "Heck I can always make another just like it or better". The young artists will even go as far as buying their own painting! I guess it is 70 percent off since they get that money back, but c'mon, it's a 4 hour canvas, let it go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
but c'mon, it's a 4 hour canvas, let it go.

I think what I find most abhorrent is that the audience is cheering for the destruction of something that someone lovingly created. Getting joy out of destruction just feels wrong to me. Rationally, I don't think it is wrong in this context, but still...

Oh, and seeing the chart I actually think that that care bear is the worst painting of all. But I don't know much about art...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:
but c'mon, it's a 4 hour canvas, let it go.

I think what I find most abhorrent is that the audience is cheering for the destruction of something that someone lovingly created. Getting joy out of destruction just feels wrong to me. Rationally, I don't think it is wrong in this context, but still...

Oh, and seeing the chart I actually think that that care bear is the worst painting of all. But I don't know much about art...

Eh, how much love can there be in a 4 hour painting? I have found that you always do better the more you try. Heck I've been known to completely repaint something 5 times in the past. It's nothing you can't do again.

Here's the post event video. You can see my painting being stabbed at the one minute mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGKTsZWh3Eg&feature=youtu.be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Phil of Mars wrote:

Here's the post event video. You can see my painting being stabbed at the one minute mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGKTsZWh3Eg&feature=youtu.be

I'm confused. I thought the Care Bear won, but the video shows it being destroyed. Wha?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
After he won, they asked if he wanted to auction it off to make even more money. he said yes, but the stipulation is, the wheel must spin before an auction. He got instant death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Phil of Mars wrote:
After he won, they asked if he wanted to auction it off to make even more money. he said yes, but the stipulation is, the wheel must spin before an auction. He got instant death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.