No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Veteran LOTRLCGers

i want to ask how your remember moments when your super deck lost in LOTR scenario ? what is your most teeth grinding moment / throw the cards to the wall moment ?

Poll
Choose any that applies to you : Greatest Annoyance in LOTRLCG game session
Bad cards draw at the beginning
Bad scenario draw at beginning
Bad encounter draw at beginning
Treachery card without any counter
Shadow card without any counter
Undefended attacks
Surge effect followed by another surge
Multiple Enemies engage while lacking +ATK power
Locations on staging that keep piling up
Enemies on staging that keep piling up
Treachery discarding/killing allies
Sudden increase in THREAT because of card effects
incapacitated heroes (prisoner / sacked / webbed etc)
Instant death to one of your heroes (eg hummerhorn type of damage)
reverting back to previous scenario stage
realizing your current uber deck is not suitable for this scenario
wishing you got that sphere's card on your current deck right now
Wife/partner/family angry because you played too much LOTRLCG
Pet jumped on your playing area and ruin your cards
OTHER : Please Describe
      40 answers
Poll created by dprijadi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
I can deal with most anything... except THAT DAMNED TRIPLE SURGE.

Seriously, 4-player-HfG must be the most challenging scenario for me.

You think losing a hero for Dol Guldur is tough?

Try some Crows and Signs and Hunters and Old Wive's Tales... and don't forget some dooms here and there.

Guranteed failing first quest, guranteed threat rise due to failed quest, guranteed Hunters engagement due to high threat, guranteed hero death due to Hunters attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
I can deal with most anything... except THAT DAMNED TRIPLE SURGE.

Seriously, 4-player-HfG must be the most challenging scenario for me.

You think losing a hero for Dol Guldur is tough?

Try some Crows and Signs and Hunters and Old Wive's Tales... and don't forget some dooms here and there.

Guranteed failing first quest, guranteed threat rise due to failed quest, guranteed Hunters engagement due to high threat, guranteed hero death due to Hunters attack.

ya the crow surge is pretty bad, treachery is annoyingly bad..

having a hunter in staging area, then i draw crow crow clue and anoher hunter.. and thats at turn 3..

or when i put out lot of allies and got smacked with that [x]threat location (where x is number of allies u got), cannot quest successfully and locations keep piling up till i cant stand it anymore..

this scenario is tailor made for Northren Tracker and Spirit Sphere.. doing it solo with gloin+bilbo+bifur is hardddddd.. definitely harder than JdtA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: None. I'm above these things.

Also, see here.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What annoys me the most (other than getting sucker-punched by a bad encounter draw right off the bat) is losing a hero to an effect you can't do anything about. It's one thing when you're taking a calculated risk on a bad shadow card or something, but when it's something you can't plan for or counter it's just frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
What annoys me the most (other than getting sucker-punched by a bad encounter draw right off the bat) is losing a hero to an effect you can't do anything about. It's one thing when you're taking a calculated risk on a bad shadow card or something, but when it's something you can't plan for or counter it's just frustrating.

cant you just 'mulligan' bad encounter card draw at the beginning ? robot shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:

It does happen that we give up after a turn or two if things turn out crazy bad for us, but winning when things seem so bleak from the outset is also much more satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

It does happen that we give up after a turn or two if things turn out crazy bad for us, but winning when things seem so bleak from the outset is also much more satisfying.

That moment when you lose 2 of your heroes in first turn (sudden pitfall kills defending hero, now undefened attack kills another), but still ends up winning after like 50 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally love it when this game totally shocks me out of a victory dance into scrambling to survive... that's what makes it exciting.

Two things drive me absolutely nuts:

1. Getting threat locked in the staging area. Into the Pit still drives me crazy on this aspect. You can't pull monsters out of the staging area or deal with locations until you get past that damned East Gate. It was this scenario that taught me to always try to have a West Road Traveller, Arwen, or Rivendell Minstrel in my opening hand.

2. Surge... oh do I hate surging. Example "X encounter card has horrible yet play specific effect.... oh, it doesn't effect you? than go ahead and surge".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I got one.

I was playing the scenario with Gollum's Riddles from the Hobbit. I finally had 9 tokens on the riddle event card, with 2 wounds on Bilbo. I was ecstatic because it wasn't easy to get there. I was close but not yet done on the other event card where the questing was happening.

The next encounter card I drew was the one where you are forced to answer a riddle.shake

I figured, I wasn't out of that phase yet and just because the event card was complete, it did not prevent me from being riddled again.

Well, I failed the riddle and Bilbo died. Harrowing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

That moment when you lose 2 of your heroes in first turn (sudden pitfall kills defending hero, now undefened attack kills another), but still ends up winning after like 50 turns.

how can you lost 2 heroes and still won ? is it at the later stages where you got all your allies out ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
dprijadi wrote:

how can you lost 2 heroes and still won ? is it at the later stages where you got all your allies out ?

Heroes were lost at first turn or two.

I got really lucky as I've drawn almost no enemies and just some easy locations which I torched and horsed away, and eventually managed to revive the dead heroes with Fortune or Fate + Dwarven Tomb.

So yeah... I guess large part of it was luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellareth wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

I got really lucky as I've drawn almost no enemies and just some easy locations which I torched and horsed away, and eventually managed to revive the dead heroes with Fortune or Fate + Dwarven Tomb.

what kind of devilry will kill off heroes at turn 1?????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Boga
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
don't worry
badge
ELMO
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
ellareth wrote:
dprijadi wrote:

what kind of devilry will kill off heroes at turn 1?????

If in the combat phase this is dealt as a shadow card:

http://lotrlcg.com/pages/cardFocus.php?Card_Key=1336

The attack became undefended then another hero can die too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bogalaci wrote:

The attack became undefended then another hero can die too.

Once you witness Fortune or Fate in action, you'll never leave home without it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is interesting because I can never bring myself to find room for it(Fortune or Fate) in my decks. Same holds true for Landroval and Brok Ironfist. Heroes are so essential to success in this game, that I can't ever bring myself to build around the eventuality of losing one. They are too expensive, situational, and I always play conservatively to protect my heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tend to agree with Matt. In fact, my best all purpose deck is what I would consider to be a protective control deck. It tends to prolong games (if you are scoring points, not good), but most often does not lose a hero and has a pretty good win percentage against the majority of commercial and custom scenarios it has attempted. And I don't really ever use Fortune or Fate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a solo deck I most likely wouldn't use it either, but since I normally build decks for three or four players there's a bit more room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do you build decks until you found ultimate deck and dread playing lotrlcg with other kind of deck build?

i mean i love my gloin engine deck and sometime i dread playing other type of deck that dont have resource engine like gloin, but when i tried radagast and friend deck, it changes my playstyle and it changes the flow of scenario (even though its same scenario)

so im thinking maybe i shouldnt limit myself to superstar heroes and deck combos.. sometimes different approach toward same target bring pleasure (when winning)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For me building new decks is half the joy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:

do you constantly create different decks / heroes combo to experience the game from other heroes/decks perspective ? or do you strive to create ultimate deck that will be most effective agaist certain scenarios ? or do you prefer thematic decks ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.

Also, some times I draw 2 random heroes and pick the 3rd, then create a deck around their strengths and weaknesses. One of the coolest experiences with the game.. Try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
AndersGabrielsson wrote:

do you constantly create different decks / heroes combo to experience the game from other heroes/decks perspective ? or do you strive to create ultimate deck that will be most effective agaist certain scenarios ? or do you prefer thematic decks ?

Generally, I build new decks when I get a new expansion (or when I get tired of the ones I have). I don't like building decks tuned for a specific scenario (though I may make minor changes if I've lost against one a few times), but prefer to build ones that can take on a range of different scenarios and win.

I do prefer thematic decks, but usually pragmatism wins. I tend to pick a theme and build as good a deck as possible within that theme, but if a card that breaks the theme is good enough I'll still put it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.