Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All:
This is going to be my first block and sticker game. Hand surgery some years ago has left my hands a bit shaky, so I don't want to blow the normally simple task of affixing the things.

Are there any tricks to these things, like handling the stickers with tweezers? Is the stick likely to de-stick in time? I was thinking of varnishing the stickers in some vague attempt at durability, either with spray-on painter's varnish or something else. Good or bad idea?

Thanks for your time,
Garry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to just use my good ol' fingers. I like to line up two edges if possible, then press down. If you leave a corner/edge unpressed, and check the alignment, you can peel up and try again if needed. I don't overly worry about getting them perfect, just as long as they are mostly centered, and not sticking off any edges.

I've never felt the need to varnish, but most of my block games don't get super heavy play (in fact, they are lucky to get more than very light play). I haven't run into any serious wear issues.

If shaky hands are an issue, I can think of a couple of possible tips:

Put sticker on the end of a (flat) toothpick, align as desired, then press down. If needed, use something (like flexy-arm with alligator clip) to hold the toothpick. I've used the toothpick method before, I found it helpful.

Build some kind of a jig for aligning a corner, out of cardboard / wood / foam core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend tweezers and good lighting. I used tweezers from a Swiss Army knife for Sekigahara which worked well. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use tweezers or fingers, whichever you're more comfortable with. I'd advise giving each block one or two coats of clear nail polish to the face with the sticker after applying the stickers. This gives them some durability and insurance against peeling, which can be caused not only by handling but by poor adhesion between the sticker and the block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary-

I have had good success with using the corner of a credit card to lift the corner of a sticker from the sheet. The credit card is used as a large handle for the sticker, with just the tip of the corner of the credit card adhered to the tip of the corner of the sticker. Then I position the sticker over the block and when it is lined up nicely, I allow it to touch the block. If it still looks well lined up, I then press down gently and pull out the credit card from the sticker corner. Then I press down and rub the sticker down firmly. I have used this method for (I think) 7 sets of (double sided) C&C: Ancients and Napoleonics blocks with good success.

The blocks for this game look like they may be about the size of the infantry units for C&C, so I would expect this to work well.

I have not varnished or otherwise coated my C&C blocks.

Use a good light source, a stable surface, and do not be in a hurry when you do this.

Best regards, David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A. Cuyler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Block size in Crown is 3/4 inch (c 18-19 mm for those across the pond), the same size as the cavalry blocks in Commands and Colors Ancients or the infantry blocks in Napoleonic.

For placing the stickers, I usually use the toothpick method (though David's method is basically the same thing - and a credit card is easier to hold).

I use a spray varnish for miniatures and give all my blocks a safety coat to keep them from wearing down. You can usually find the clear cote sprays at a model and R/C hobby stores or your FLGS.

-SAC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Stevens
Australia
Gunghalin
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all your tips guys. I hadn't thought of nail polish as a varnish, but that might be quite good in making the sticker rigid and hopefully less likely to peel off the block at the edges. I'll try it on the sticker sheet sides (sprew? the bits between the stickers) first, though.

Garry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.