Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my game with a friend I stumbled in the spiky situation where Yugoslavia and Bulgaria were both with a Soviet Influence Marker.

Which means if the Axis DoW them, they activate as Soviet Minors, and once the Axis moves into them, the Soviet player can choose to end its Policy and thus enter a state of war with the Axis?

So pratically as soon as a minor is activated and at war, it also means a major country gets at war against the Axis right? Assuming the Allies want to go at war as it is in their options to remove the Policy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zrimsek
msg tools
I don't believe the Soviets get any say in the matter one way or the other. Since the list of ways to voluntarily end a PAC (13.6.1.2) includes:

*The Axis faction declares war on a Neutral PAC in the War & Peace Segment (6.1)

the DoW itself immediately ends whatever Policy is in effect for Soviet Minors. You don't wait for an Axis unit to actually invade (this is a triggering event only in the case of a country that was previously Activated but is still Policy-affected). Whether the DoW also brings Russia into the war will depend on whether they have the same Policy as Soviet Minors or a different one-- here again, the outcome is dictated by the rules and the Russians don't have a choice about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Zrimsek
msg tools
To be clear, I'm interpreting "voluntary" in the rules on ending Policies to mean voluntary on the part of the Axis-- that is, they're distinguishing between situations where the Axis is starting a war on purpose, and situations where they stumble into a war while they're trying to do something else, such grabbing border regions using threats. I don't think they're using "voluntary" to mean that the Allies get to choose whether or not to end the Policy. The rules could be clearer on this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether the Soviets enter the war is not actually a Soviet choice. If the Soviet Minors have the same policy as the USSR, then when Germany DOW on the minors, the minors' policy is removed and so is any other policy that is the same; i.e., if the Soviet minor policy is Pact, and the Soviets are Pact, then both policies are removed and Germany is at war with any active Soviet minors, as well as the USSR.

If the policies are different, the minors' policies are removed, but the USSRs is not--the Soviet faction controls the now active minors.

Both of these are automatic and involve no choice whatsoever. The choice for the Soviet player was in influencing those minors--if the Soviet minor policy is the same as the Soviet's, then it effectively tells the Germans that these countries are in the Soviet sphere and attacking them will bring on war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls