12 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Do I 'need' my own copy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Rattigan
msg tools
Hi,

To clarify. My brother has bought a copy of this game and after one playthrough I have the feeling that I'm going to like it a fair bit.

The problem is that I have bought 'a lot' of games of late and the family are getting a bit fed up with having to learn a new game every 4 weeks. soblue That, coupled with the fact that I doubt any of them would like this game anyway means that it's highly likely that the only person I would get to play this game with is my brother who has his own copy anyway.

I don't have much experience with LCG's and deck building so I'd be interested in hearing some views.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say it depends on how much you plan to play it with your brother. if you plan on playing only a few games, then the starter decks (i.e. faction + neutral card) should give you enough variable matchups to keep things fresh until the first expansion comes out.

If you get really addicted to the game and play a lot, you'll probably end up being bored of the starter decks, so a second box will then be useful, as it will allow both of you more deck-building options if you pool your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I would highly recommend it if you enjoy the game and intend to do any deckbuilding. With only one copy, for you to play the game where one of you each build a deck, it's going to have to be where one of you takes all the cards of one side and builds a deck while the other takes all the cards of the other side, and builds their deck. If you each have a copy then you can each build your own decks for both runner and corp. It also helps if you want to build tourney decks where you're playing against other players as you have access to more cards of the cards with only 2 or 3.

If you're only going to be playing out of the box factional decks, then I wouldn't worry about getting your own set as you can just strip out all of the cards of one faction and replace them with another factions cards. Before you resign yourself to that, I would suggest trying some deckbuilding as it is one of my favorite things about CCGs and LCGs.

Hope this helps, and happy running.

ninjaed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're NOT getting a copy for yourself, but you DO want to deckbuild with your brother's copy (it can be a big part of the game), there are a couple tools for that on the web. First, cardgamedb.com will let you build decks and generate a list. There's also a spreadsheet right here on BGG that does the same thing, but with a much more intimidating presentation.

So you can have the same deckbuilding fun without even owning a copy (the spreadsheet might be better because it lists the qty in the core set...).

I do believe, though, that the game itself is meant to be purchased by each player, so that when you show up you have everything prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rattigan
msg tools
Thanks for the replies.

I think for now I will test the water with a few more games and by a copy if I really get hooked. It's nice to know that there are a few resources online to help with the building.

Also...

Quote:
If you don't buy it your whole family will be eaten by Cthulhu and an evil corp will seize control of the world...

..might be nothing compared to what thew wife will do to me if I spend more money on this annoyingly fustrating hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DionysusVii wrote:
I think for now I will test the water with a few more games and by a copy if I really get hooked. It's nice to know that there are a few resources online to help with the building.

I think this is definitely the most practical way to go. Having your own copy definitely speeds the process of switching roles up, especially if you guys go beyond slapping a full set of one faction's cards onto the neutral cards for deckbuilding.

But if you don't get enough play in for that lost time to accumulate to bothersome levels, it's not something you have to worry about.

It also gives you some time to let that wallet cool off so as not to arouse the ire of your wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 people (in the same household) can easily play out of a single box for quite some time.

You will have to spend a bit of time deck building before you play if you want to customize, but you each get 'half the cards' to do that building.

To facilitate this, I would recommend pre-creating deck lists (by hand or at www.cardgamedb.com) and keeping them in the box. Then you just find the cards you need and build them.

The key would be organizing the cards to make deck building quick, and breaking decks down after the playsession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly struggling with the idea of buying a second core set for deck building and keeping one core set untouched for casual play.

It seems silly, but I keep thinking of doing it.

So, no, you don't need your own set. But if your brother builds with his set, it may make it trickier for you guys to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:
I'm honestly struggling with the idea of buying a second core set for deck building and keeping one core set untouched for casual play.

It seems silly, but I keep thinking of doing it.

So, no, you don't need your own set. But if your brother builds with his set, it may make it trickier for you guys to play.

I already did this.

One set for teaching, the other 2 sets for constructed play.
If I need a 3rd card, I pull it from the teaching set for highly competitive play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 people playing with 2 sets is very efficient, since you can swap cards that only come 1 or 2 in the set with each other when making decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rattigan
msg tools
I think I might buy a copy anyway devil

One thing I didnt mention is that I don't live in the same house as my brother so I will only have access to the game when we meet up.

He's also somehow managed to sell the theme to his girlfriend so it's given me hope thatit's not totally hopeless for my wife. She does work in IT which might help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.