Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The very tone of the match is set as soon as players start placing markers on the board. A mistake in setting up poorly and trying to rectify and mitigate for the first couple of rounds, goes without saying is a strategy with a low rate of success.

For Imperial swarms the best initial set up I find is packed tight in two rows. Move as a group and swarm on the enemy. The generally lower Imperial Pilot skills dictate they set up first, thus giving your opponent the opportunity to exploit it. Thus it can be best for the Imperial player to either choose to set up to one side, never in the middle. That way a small portion of the force can protect the exposed flank while staying with the main force makes the assault on the opponent's squad.

This strategy can be exploited by stronger Rebel ships setting up in split formation, forcing the Ties to either split and thus lose their largest advantage of numbers or allow the second Rebel force to hammer their flank.

Also Asteroid placement is not to be overlooked as they are very useful in dictating where the majority of the fighting will take place, mainly where they are not. One strategy that can work for the Rebels is to plant their three Asteroids as close as possible in a triangle in the middle of the board, adding Obstructions for the more fragile and less well armed Ties to deal with.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the victor of 3 whole battles I can speak with considerable authority

I have not found initial set up to be all that important.

I have found it pays to seperate your ships by 3-4 inches minimum. The biggest problem we had in all 3 games was ships hitting other ships. The biggest effect of which is you get no action which means no focus. This is huge.

Guy at the front tends to take the hits so if imperial with a veteran and a rookie wingman, leave your bait sorry I mean wingman out the front to soak up the hits....

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Initial setup has the most impact on the very 1st major exchange, after that it has less impact although it does help you reorganise a bit faster.

Eg most of the time i fly a ^ shape formation similiar to what you see in airshows. Assuming 4 planes, the middle 2 will be your main attacking force, while the other 2 to the side are for chasing stragglers. The middle 2 will take a lot of damage too, so shields up! Or put an expandable academy TIE or a TIE advanced or what not. After the 1st exchange, the middle 2 will do a U-turn, while the ones at the side are free to flank or fly as decoys or do hard turns to block and disrupt enemy positions, esp If they are trying for U-turns as well.

You also have other formations avaliable, like a 2 X-wing thach weave or a L shaped formation with a Y-wing taking point to put it in position at the middle of the map asap while a biggs behind at range 3 draws all the initial fire, and a final X-wing on the rightmost point is free to break formation and do stuff whenever you want, whilst still abusing biggs range 3 protection from enemy flanking attacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Tl;dr, initial setup is good for quickly getting what you want to do done, eg placing Y-wings,disrupt enemy movements, punching thru 8 TIE swarms with a single file movement etc.

Then again, it can be hard to setup the more fanciful formations, so you will need to practice getting into formation outside the game. Moreover, you will eventually have to break formation for all the dogfighting or if you get blocked by your opponent, so learning to fly well is definitely more important than doing all the fanciful setups because they only help you for the first 3-4 turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.