Subject: You cannot kill what doesss not livvve rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I've always meant to pick up the Dredd CCG having both been a long-time fan of the comic and some of it's game variations (Games Workshop's Judge Dredd board game and Block Mania/Mega-Mania still make it to the table). However for the CCG I missed the boat. The main reason being that I've tried CCG/TCGs before (albeit relatively nonchalantly) and never felt I clicked with them.

However, the recent Dredd film and a friend's Case Files finally made me look it up and give the thing a go. Reading the rules of Dredd however, and the games apparent adherence to the flavour of the source material, really grabbed my attention and made me want to give it a bash.

I've got hold of about 200 cards, all unique surprisingly (which makes at least one of them worthless in terms of game effect....), I wish I could get hold of more cards without selling the cats, but it doesn't seem likely.

The rub is that the people I'm most likely to persuade to play are not likely to build their own decks (at least not until a few games might persuade them). I wonder if a shuffled and split deck of unique cards would work for a decent game (judges removed, natch) or whether I should put some effort into preparation of "sealed" decks in some way?

Any advice on this would be gratefully received, and if anyone is aware of places where cards still pop up for sale (ebay and House Atreides aside) then I'd be grateful for that also. I'm a completist, yet would like, eventually, to have the option of multiples.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T
United Kingdom
Clitheroe
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well you've already metioned the two places I got most of my cards (apart from my original purchases back in the day!) and I was lucky enough to pick up a booster box from ebay a few years back. I was fortunate to be helped out by a few fellow BGGers with a few trades as well to help my set completion.

It's quite easy to knock up a few decks for your mates; I do face down draw of piles of each sort of card followed by face up take-your-turn Judge draw. Everyone ends up with a good mix of Crimes, Scenes, Perps etc. (as long as you make each pile fair of course!) and it gives you a chance to try and bag a few Judges to complement the deck you've just got.

It's well worth the effort as it's a cracking 4-player game.

And, at the risk of bigging-up myself, it makes quite a playable solitaire experience too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your deck drawing idea sounds like an excellent way to go about it. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last decks I saw for sale were at Birmingham Memorabilia Show Spring 2011. A little more costly than I really wanted to pay be I bit the bullet and eventual knocked a £1 off each one.

It is possible to make a few new cards if some was up to building a template for Magic Set Editor 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.