BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Group in Kent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emma F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey!

I'm moving to westbrook and am interested to find people in the surrounding area, margate, broadstairs and ramsgate to PLAY BOARD GAMES WITH ME.

I have just discovered the joy of a club like this, and since I'm moving so far away from my current group, I'd love to find another one!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, from December I will be back living in Kent - in Faversham. Bit further afield but from time to time maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Emma,
I run the Sevenoaks group which is probably way too far. I'm also a regular at the Ashford group (which is a little closer to you when you move this way, Luke) which may be something you might be able to come along to once in a while.

What might be of more use is that there is (or at least recently was) a board game shop in Margate and either they should know of any local groups, or might be willing to get something going - the owner has been to the Ashford group a couple of times, but not at the same time as me so I can't really help there. Contact John at the Ashford group for more info.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Awesome! Thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
Me and my girlfriend have just moved to Margate about a mile down the beach from you. We are busy now but are starting to get into the hobby and a group would be good way to meet local people around Christmas time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

I'm in Sturry (by Canterbury) and equally looking for any boardgaming groups or people nearby. Thanet and Westbrook are not that far (it should be practical to cycle there on a good day).
Kent seems a little devoid of gamers so it might be a case of getting a handful of people together for games at the weekend since proper clubs don't seem to exist outside of Ashford and Maidstone. There seem to have been clubs in Canterbury and Thanet, but they seem to have disappeared (if anyone knows more, please let me know).
Do let me know if you have any luck in organising anything or hear of anything nearby.

Douglas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Been living away from Sturry for some years now, but these guys are still going: http://www.adventuregaming.co.uk/portal/

Last I heard the Phoenix group were still meeting:
Quote:

Canterbury, Kent

Canterbury Games Club
Meets in The Phoenix pub (on the Old Dover Road, not far from the cricket ground) at 8 p.m. every Monday (except Bank Holidays).

- from the BGG wiki.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Panic!
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
STAG Gamers - The friendliest group in Kent
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so not helpful to you, but for anybody generally interested in gaming in Kent, the Sevenoaks and Tonbridge group is going strong, and the Ashford group is about to hit 4 years, and regularly gets around 10.

Not sure Canterbury has a group anymore, and last I heard the Maidstone group was fairly small.

I think the problem in Kent is that it tends to be commuter belt, and that means people play at LoB rather than out in the sticks.

If anybody needs info on either Sevenoaks/Tonbridge or Ashford then get in touch as I run one and attend the other. Also, if you are out Tunbridge Wells way then the Crowborough group is a must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I had a look into the Phoenix on Monday - I think the group has stopped meeting as there was no sign of them.

I've emailed the AGS, but so far got no word back. Peter, do you know whether or not they take non-university people? Uni societies are somewhat variable in this.

I'm not around this weekend, but I'll likely head along to the Ashford group in a week and a half. I might also be able to dig up some more info there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AGS have always had non-u members, sometimes off-book sometimes on depending on stringency of union rules that year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DouglasHall wrote:
Kent seems a little devoid of gamers

Hi Douglas! I'm one! So's my wife!

We're in Canterbury, only moved recently, and looking for a regular group.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Steve Be wrote:
Not sure Canterbury has a group anymore.

So I was at the Veg Box Cafe, behind the Cherry Tree pub, last night and they have a big sign up saying that they have plenty of evening slots open for social groups.

I'm very keen to get a semi-regular Canterbury board game group up and running. Would there be any interest from any BGGs for maybe a bi-weekly Wednesday night board game club, starting in the New Year? I spoke to the manager there last night, and he's keen.

Something like 7:30 - 10pm, no more than £2 on the door. Beer, hot drinks and cake available. Quiet environment with nice wooden tables. Big car park.

Philip Honeybone
Falkland Islands
Stanley
East Falkland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

says they meet at the Dolphin pub on a Monday, which may be the answer too.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Christie
United Kingdom
Greenhithe
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Gordian Knot Games who in association with Gravesend Gamers Guild host evenings every Wednesday and Thursday at the Three Dawes pub in Gravesend.

http://www.gordianknotgames.co.uk
http://www.gravesendgamersguild.co.uk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Hall
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

I discovered the Dolphin group (via the Ashford club) a few days after this thread seemed to go quiet and have been going along regularly to that.
It's a nice group (usually 5-8 people) and I'd strongly recommend comming along on a Monday (though do check back with Philip as Christmas is necessitating venue changes). Apreciate the thought in passing this on though.

I'd be interested if you did manage to set something up, although Wednesdays would be problematic for me.

Hope to see you around.

Douglas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thanks Doug,

Perhaps in January we'll try finding you on Mondays!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

There is a games club in Ramsgate that meet up twice a month at the Racing Greyhound pub. There is a games night on tonight starting at 7:00pm. Entry is free, and anyone is welcome to come along.

The next nights after that are in the new year, on Thursday 3rd Jan, Thursday 17th Jan and Wednesday 30th Jan.

cheers

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Honeybone
Falkland Islands
Stanley
East Falkland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete_darby wrote:

Last I heard the Phoenix group were still meeting:
Quote:

Canterbury, Kent

Canterbury Games Club
Meets in The Phoenix pub (on the Old Dover Road, not far from the cricket ground) at 8 p.m. every Monday (except Bank Holidays).

- from the BGG wiki.

Yep - the Phoenix group are still meeting and still meet every monday (apart from the 1st monday in the month**), only we now meet in the Dolphin.

**defined as the monday the Dolphin has it's pub quiz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Verdier
France
Le Havre
flag msg tools
publisher
I heard about the Dolphin group since I know someone playing there.

I'm french and I plan to live in Canterbury in a few months because I will open a French Delicatessen promptly.
My girlfriend and I have a lot a boardgames and we will be happy to join all of you as soon as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.