Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. We are all getting together soon and I would like to introduce some family to a couple games. What we will have is 6 or 7 adults to entertain. In the past we have played Monopoly Deal Card Game and had a great time. Since then I've been into this new hobby. I'm thinking that I would like to introduce Say Anything or Dixit. Which would you bite on and which do you think would get the most replay value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both great games and whichever one you get you'll have a great time.

My personal preference is for Dixit - I've occasionally had games of Say Anything that haven't quit clicked, whereas Dixit has always been a success.

Having said that, one thing to bear in mind for your group is that officially Dixit has a maximum of 6 players, though all you'll need to add a 7th player is an extra scoring marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan W
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Dixit on http://www.boiteajeux.net/ and I can only imagine that it will be even more fun live. I've only see the Tabletop episode for Say Anything but it looks like a lot of fun. Wits & Wagers looks like another game that would work.

Thanks for your feedback and the tip on Dixit too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
They are both great games and whichever one you get you'll have a great time.

My personal preference is for Dixit - I've occasionally had games of Say Anything that haven't quit clicked, whereas Dixit has always been a success.

Having said that, one thing to bear in mind for your group is that officially Dixit has a maximum of 6 players, though all you'll need to add a 7th player is an extra scoring marker.

The original Dixit is max 6 players, but Dixit Odyssey goes up to 12 players (and has special party game rules for having a big crowd, to make it faster/easier). It works as a standalone game as well as an expansion, so you can just get Dixit Odyssey if you like.

Warning: there are holes in the box for the base set cards & the Dixit 2 card-only expansion, so if you're like my husband you might feel a compulsion to buy the other set(s) to fill them. It is convenient though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Dixit, it has a much better success rate in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played either so I thought I'd suggest something else: GiftTRAP. It's worked really with with my family (and friends).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, it depends on how well you know everyone. Being a family gathering, I'm assuming you know everyone reasonably well, so either would work, but I think Say Anything is the better game. Seems to make people laugh more and have moments when someone goes "Since When..?"

I think Say Anything is hard if you don't know the people because you have no idea of their tastes, likes, dislike, etc... so in that setting Dixit is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit can grind to a halt if you have some "non-creative" or "non-imaginative" types playing. I've seen someone spend nearly ten minutes trying to decide which of her five cards best matched the story clue that someone else gave. And I've also seen someone hem and haw when it was his turn to give the story clue, because he couldn't come up with something to say after perusing his five cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are fun with the following comments:

Say Anything - is a lot better when you are with people who know each other fairly well. It is also better when you can make risque comments I was playing with my wife and two female friends once and the question was "What is the most awkward thing that could happen right now?" and my wife answered with "A Foursome?!?!?". Good times.

Dixit - is fun when you have people with a good imagination. I've never had an issue with this but could imagine it dragging.

I also second Wits and Wagers. It's a trivia game where you don't need to know the answer. The questions always have numerical answers. Everyone makes an educated guess and then everyone bids on which answer is closest but not over the answer. Lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Warren
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually, I think the new version of Wits & Wagers, called Wits & Wagers Party, would be your best bet. Sounds like your family are non-gamers for the most part. Wits & Wagers Party is the best version for them, and you can also play in teams.

Say Anything would also be great if you feel comfortable 'saying anything' in front of them.

Dixit can be tough with non-creative types. But all these games are relatively short, especially Wits & Wagers Party and Say Anything, so feel free to pick them all up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Seymour
United States
Jenkintown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
officially Dixit has a maximum of 6 players, though all you'll need to add a 7th player is an extra scoring marker.

I agree that I'd rather play Dixit. Note that Dixit: Odyssey goes to 12 (that's on better than Spinal Tap Amps!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.