Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: How can you ever fill the 4th or 5th diplomat slot? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Terrans only have 3 diplomats to give away. Since you can only exchange diplomats, how can you fill the 4th or even the 5th slot with a diplomat?

I know it has been asked somewhere, but I cannot find it. Are there some news with the expansion on how to fill those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VolkoV wrote:
The Terrans only have 3 diplomats to give away. Since you can only exchange diplomats, how can you fill the 4th or even the 5th slot with a diplomat?

I know it has been asked somewhere, but I cannot find it. Are there some news with the expansion on how to fill those?

They represent what can go in each slot. So for Terrans it is up to 4 reputation tiles and up to 5 diplomats (which you run out of at 3). But one is a diplomat only slot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volker S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but if you can never get more than three and you can freely rearrange those - why painting more than three on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the expansion, but as far as the base game is concerned, you can't.

I think the designers just wanted them to be 'wild' spaces so, at a glance, you can easily see that all but one space on your reputation track can hold either ambassadors or rep. tiles. It's just one less symbol for the brain to process, and, as you mentioned, since ambassadors themselves are limited, there was no need to limit the spaces on them as well.

And in the off-chance something changes in a future expansion (more ambassadors; something else that has the same shape), they're covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lau
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well you can take 5 quarries or not fill up the plantation spaces in puerto rico too..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion plays up to 9 players.... so.... maybe more ambassador tiles are included?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
aldaryn wrote:
The expansion plays up to 9 players.... so.... maybe more ambassador tiles are included?

I think so, too. It wouldn't make sense if you couldn't make another DR or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bausman
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For the humans, one spot is diplomat only and 4 spots are either diplomat or reputation. This is just another example of making choices of how you want to play the game. If you fill three spots with diplomats then you will have only two spots for reputation tiles. If you use one diplomat then you have 4 spots for reputation tiles. Just because you have only 3 diplomats does not mean the other two spots go empty or are planned for a future expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you have four slots for diplomats and you can only get three diplomats there is no matter of tactics.
I had the same question playing the game - and I think the expansion will answer this question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demonhanz wrote:
aldaryn wrote:

I think so, too. It wouldn't make sense if you couldn't make another DR or two

Sorry to disappoint but the beta test had no additional diplomats for the main races. The new races have mostly the same amount. I think the one difference is the pirates with one less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Right but if you are managing a 9 player game, I really think more than 3 diplomats are needed, at least 1 or 2 more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demonhanz wrote:
Right but if you are managing a 9 player game, I really think more than 3 diplomats are needed, at least 1 or 2 more.

this may seem really facetious, but... why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
VolkoV wrote:
Yeah, but if you can never get more than three and you can freely rearrange those - why painting more than three on the board?

Why not? arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
skatingtortoise wrote:
demonhanz wrote:

No facetiousness detected!

To answer your query, the reason why I think its needed is because with so many more players in action, you might want to make diplomatic relations with more than just 3 players. It could certainly lead to some interesting dynamics, a real web of politics. But on the other hand, I do recognize that a diplomat gives you a free population cube, so I'm sure in some way ODing on diplomacy could break the game. Maybe diplomats after the 3rd DO NOT provide these additional pop.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demonhanz wrote:
skatingtortoise wrote:
demonhanz wrote:

No facetiousness detected!

To answer your query, the reason why I think its needed is because with so many more players in action, you might want to make diplomatic relations with more than just 3 players. It could certainly lead to some interesting dynamics, a real web of politics. But on the other hand, I do recognize that a diplomat gives you a free population cube, so I'm sure in some way ODing on diplomacy could break the game. Maybe diplomats after the 3rd DO NOT provide these additional pop.?

i see what you mean, but i think it's worth considering that first of all youre unlikely to meet more than 4 or 5 of the other players due to distances involved, so having more diplomats seems excessive in this case. in the event that you meet more than three players who want to form diplomatic relations/alliances, i think 3 is a sensible limit to discourage turtling, and forces you to be choosy about who you throw your lot in with.

having said all that, in my personal experience ive rarely seen all 3 diplomats used in 6 player games ive played, so its difficult for me to be objective. hooray for groupthink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.