Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Event card that says “The Keeper may read the objective at any time to the investigators” (paraphrased) – this was confusing to me to as I took the word “read” literally. That is, I can read it to the investigators, but it is NOT actually revealed yet. Does my distinction between "read and "reveal" really matter? Or when I “read” it to the investigators", it is actually revealed?

Thanks

-SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Which event card is this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Which event card is this?

Sorry, not an event card - I think it is actually the 1A Objective Card for Scenario 2. (Don't have card with me.)

But I guess my question is still valid, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain that objective says to reveal the card, not just read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm pretty certain that objective says to reveal the card, not just read it.

Hmmmm - I could have sworn it said "Read" - however, you could easily be right - so I will look at it later today and verify. Unless someone is close to the card and can verify this sooner....

If it turns out that I misunderstood, then in the words of RosannaDanaDana - "Nevermind!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am waiting to go home and look at the card - I do have related questions - (I have only three plays under my belt from this past weekend - Twice with Scenario 1 and once with scenario 2.)

1. Why would the Keeper WANT to reveal it earlier than normal (the answer to my second question may answer this one)?

2. This question is kinda hard to word - so please bear with me. Is the objective ALWAYS in play even tho it is not revealed? E.g., when the card says the part about ”If the investigator is insane,… target the investigator…roll the dice…” , can the keeper try to do this before the objective is revealed? If yes, then this raises other interesting questions for sure!

I am actually quite impressed with this game and its rulebook (and THIS forum). After three plays, it is rather nice the only "problem/confusion I really had was in relation to this and other objective cards in general.

Thank You!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Once the objective is revealed, new investigators don't spawn, so the TPK is an option to win.

Also,2) If the keeper hit his secret win condition, he would reveal it to claim his win. Can't really think of any other reasons why the would want to reveal.

Have fun with the game. The more experience you and your group get with it, the more fun it becomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
While I am waiting to go home and look at the card - I do have related questions - (I have only three plays under my belt from this past weekend - Twice with Scenario 1 and once with scenario 2.)

1. Why would the Keeper WANT to reveal it earlier than normal (the answer to my second question may answer this one)?

Because of the answer to 2).

Quote:
2. This question is kinda hard to word - so please bear with me. Is the objective ALWAYS in play even tho it is not revealed? E.g., when the card says the part about ”If the investigator is insane,… target the investigator…roll the dice…” , can the keeper try to do this before the objective is revealed? If yes, then this raises other interesting questions for sure!

The keeper must reveal the objective in order to start rolling the dice. However, objective text is always considered in play for the purposes of keeper victory conditions (i.e, the objective doesn't need to be revealed in order for the keeper to win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
1) Once the objective is revealed, new investigators don't spawn, so the TPK is an option to win.

Also,2) If the keeper hit his secret win condition, he would reveal it to claim his win. Can't really think of any other reasons why the would want to reveal.

Have fun with the game. The more experience you and your group get with it, the more fun it becomes.

First, we find this game extremely fun as it is! Of recent, we have spent the most time playing this and Super Dungeon Explore!

So, since the Keeper can reveal the Objective at any time, AND after he reveals it he can “do the roll the dice thing”, I assume it follows that if there is an insane Investigator in a room, the Keeper can suddenly reveal the Objective, roll the dice, and maybe, WHAM! Keeper Wins, Game Over?

I am not at all complaining – I just want to make sure before I crush my wife like this, that I am following the rules.

Finally, with regard to the other Objective Cards – I will assume that the WIN/LOSE conditions on them (and other items) do NOT apply until the card is revealed? EDIT: I think you answered this already, sorry!

Again, Thank you for helping!

- SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, this is a fairly unique Objective. Usually, hey are revealed by a specific event, ot by a clue (usually 1).

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The card reads, "The keeper may reveal this objective at any time Once per turn, he may target an insane investigator and roll a die". Continuing on, "The keeper wins if he rolls less than twice the number of cultists in the room." Then, The investigators in if every investigator escapes via the chapel."

So,

Reveal if you have a successful roll, or it is revealed by event 4. Then investigators have a chance to win, by all escaping the chapel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:

So, since the Keeper can reveal the Objective at any time, AND after he reveals it he can “do the roll the dice thing”, I assume it follows that if there is an insane Investigator in a room, the Keeper can suddenly reveal the Objective, roll the dice, and maybe, WHAM! Keeper Wins, Game Over?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
OK, this is a fairly unique Objective. Usually, hey are revealed by a specific event, ot by a clue (usually 1).

Reveal if you have a successful roll, or it is revealed by event 4. Then investigators have a chance to win, by all escaping the chapel

OMG! That is even HARSHER! I can roll, THEN reveal? MWAHAHAHAHA!

And thank you for the clarification of the Read/Reveal question!

You also answered my basic question (as did others) that the WIN/LOSE is not in effect until the Objective is revealed! (Would be weird if it were any other way - if the Investigators simply exited the mansion right after starting, they would win if it didn't have to be revealed first! )

Thank You!

- SK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
sargonkid wrote:

Yes.

AWESOME! My wife may want to reconsider not trying to play the Keeper. She says she likes to always play the Investigators - but things like this may change her mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to be careful about spoilers.

It is usually the case that the keeper win condition is in effect from jump. Mostly (although not always), the investigator win is achievable once revealed. Just pay attention to the wording on each unique event, and you will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:
Trying to be careful about spoilers.

It is usually the case that the keeper win condition is in effect from jump. Mostly (although not always), the investigator win is achievable once revealed. Just pay attention to the wording on each unique event, and you will be fine.

Very Interesting Indeed! I do so LOVE this game (from either side) devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

OMG! That is even HARSHER! I can roll, THEN reveal? MWAHAHAHAHA!

This is incorrect. You can only roll once the keeper has revealed the objective. Otherwise the "keeper may reveal this objective at any time" text would be redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thought that was the case, but couldn't remember exactly. Trying to look up the card before running off. Trying to be clear, on the phone, hiding spoilers is not always easy!

Originally wrote:

So you risk revealing early, on a failed roll.

But changed that, for some reason. Sorry for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.