Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I went and visited Jolly Thinkers three times this weekend. First two times they were closed, and the 3rd time was a charm. I keep forgetting that shops open at different times in HK hehehe.

Wow, what a bustling shop, everyone was laughing and playing games. It was a little intimidating for an out of towner like myself, and I'm a little more shy when I'm outside my comfort zone. I wasn't sure who the staff were and who the gamers were, so didn't know who to ask questions to, so I wandered around for a while. Finally one of the people who were in the games came and helped me out with some game choices. I saw Fleet already on the shelves, and can't wait for my copy to arrive ooohhhh eee. Hehe he was telling me about Fleet, which I said I already backed it on Kickstarter.

Luckily for me I can speak Cantonese, but otherwise maybe it might have been a bit awkward hehe. The staff do speak some English.

I really wanted to join in a game or two, but wasn't sure how. Everyone looked like they were having a ball. It's the first time I've seen one of these full fledged game cafes before. I wasn't sure if people could just join in...or...so I was a little out of my element. Luckily I went with my fiance who kept me company hehe. Maybe someone here can explain the cafe system at Jolly Thinkers so next time I know what to do hehe

I walked away with two cute games, Pick a Pig and Pick a Dog which is published by Jolly Thinkers.

Maybe next time I come to HK I'll go back and check it out again and be brave enough to go watch a game or two. Or next time I'll ask someone who goes there a lot to bring me along hehe.

If you haven't seen one of those game cafe's in Asia before, go check it out with another local.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilkins Chow
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, Jolly Thinkers has a huge collection of games.
There are two shops, one in Wanchai and one in Prince Edward,
which open at 2:00pm - 11:30pm on weekends.

Usually people come along with their friends.
On weekends, it gets full easily.
You need to book a table in advance.
It charges $55 per person for the first two hours with a drink included.
Then $5 for every 30 minutes afterwards.

There is a gaming session which holds every Wednesday night in Wanchai.
So you can just join in at that time.
Or you can send me a msg when you are in HK next time, I can bring you along. cool

I spend my spare time teaching board games there on Sunday afternoons in Prince Edward. (not on 21/10 as I will be @ Essen )
I enjoyed organizing game days as well as playing myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pop Fugitive
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
Let me know if you are ever in HK again! I love Jolly Thinkers - regularly visit the Wan Chai branch although I very rarely get to play anything due to my work hours. It's a great place to talk about games and buy stuff though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys. That would be awesome, would love to visit there again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.