Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting topic for my next in this series. I was reading a discussion about anti-heroes on another site, and how everyone loves the anti-hero, BUT how they are usually men. Sure we know Han Solo, the Gunfighter with no name, Snake Plisskin, Ash. But how about the women anti-heroes. There has to be some.

So my question of the day is, who would you say is the top "Women" anti-hereos, and why? And let's keep it to the main protagonists. Not as easy a question as it looks.

I'll start Pam Grier in Coffy. She take no jive from no man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. That's tough.

I cringe a bit using this as my first entry, because I want a higher quality: Alice in Resident Evil (2+), played by Milla Jovovich.

Despite a lack of quality in the sequels, they do present an interesting change in character. In the first movie, she plays a fairly typical hero, a fairly weak character who gets stronger as the movie progresses. In the later sequels she starts off as more of an anti-hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to bend the rules a bit, because of the consistency for which the next entry is cast.

If our discussion wasn't just limited to protagonists, I'd say Michelle Rodriguez would be a shoe in. I'm hard pressed to think of a roll she was in that doesn't portray her as a hard as nails, ass kicking bitch, and almost always on the good guy's side.

For better or worse, she's typically only cast in supporting rolls though.

Look, she's so tough that she's wearing boxers:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a couple:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Here are a couple:

Ahh, Anne Parillaud. That is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I can't come up with a better answer, and it makes me laugh to think of her as an anti-hero I offer up...

Judy Maxwell from What's Up, Doc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not technically movies (although there was one released in the theater for a brief run), but Kara Thrace aka "Starbuck" played by Katee Sackhoff seems to fit the bill:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think Ellen (Sharon Stone) in The Quick and the Dead fits.

Again, if I remember the movie correctly, what I find interesting about this entry is that she feels like an anti-hero in the present, but the movie's central premise is based around explaining how she became an anti-hero. But that's often a standard element in many western story lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'm finding hard to to distinguish the anti-hero, from the flat out hero. I guess it's hard to picture women in the role of being conniving.

A few that might fit the bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigourney Weaver in the 4th Alien movie is an anti-hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geena Davis from Long Kiss Goodnight is a great one. I should have thought of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The Long Kiss Goodnight is one of my favorite action movies. Geena Davis was seriously ass kicking in that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
What I'm finding hard to to distinguish the anti-hero, from the flat out hero. I guess it's hard to picture women in the role of being conniving.

Agreed. Anti-hero is frequently a bit of a fuzzy term for me. Unless they're out-right villainous in some form, it becomes a little fuzzy around the edges. This is one of the reasons that the "Han shot first" debate isn't as frivolous as it appears on first glance. It's not just about maintaining 'what we saw first and fell in love with' but retaining the character's arch and the importance of redemption in someone who is a decidedly shady character.

For women in particular, is 'acting man tough' enough to qualify? Given a loose definition of anti-hero, it could possibly qualify given society's conventions on how women are expected to act, but personally I don't think that's enough to qualify as anti-hero.

Clarice (Jodi Foster) in Silence of the Lambs wouldn't qualify, despite her attempts to be 'man' tough enough in a man's world. Sigourney Weaver in the first 2 Alien movies also seems to be more reacting heroically in a bad situation, rather than as an ani-hero.

This may be restating the obvious definition of anti-hero, but I think there needs to be some combination of underlying flaws, actions that given different circumstances would be considered villainous, or lack of easily understood and widely accepted morals ("killing is bad", "don't steal stuff", etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noomi Rapace in Girl with a Dragon Tattoo is also a good one.

And for an oddball, really Lina Leandersson in Let the Right one In, is an anti heroin
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(even though she's not really a girl)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the movie because its not my kind of thing, but wouldn't the bride count?

Does Catwoman qualify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

Charlize Theron in Monster?

Too crazy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

Natalie Portman in Léon: The Professional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

Hmmm. This one, I think the "moral ambiguity" was more projected on Leon, than her character. Even when she was trying to copy the actions of a killer, she was still an innocent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though historically, the anti-hero of Elizabeth the 1st could be argued. But I think it fits. She was full of moral ambiguities.

Nothing beat Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age

And on the Cate Blanchett kick, you could also add Virginia Woolf's Orlando. Which in Literature, is a rare female anti-hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
matthew.marquand wrote:

Hmmm. This one, I think the "moral ambiguity" was more projected on Leon, than her character. Even when she was trying to copy the actions of a killer, she was still an innocent.

I could go either way. But with the images of Gary Oldman's character's behavior towards her (albeit majorly messed up) family bouncing around in her head, her insides may score lower on the innocent scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb

She's not bad, she's just...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

Charlize Theron in Monster?

Too crazy?

Not even remotely an anti heroine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Even though historically, the anti-hero of Elizabeth the 1st could be argued. But I think it fits. She was full of moral ambiguities.

Nothing beat Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age

And on the Cate Blanchett kick, you could also add Virginia Woolf's Orlando. Which in Literature, is a rare female anti-hero.

Orlando was not played by Kate Blanchett, she/he was played by Tilda Swinton. Good choice, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:

Orlando was not played by Kate Blanchett, she/he was played by Tilda Swinton. Good choice, though.

Oh yeah, you're right! I always get them mixed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Norma Desmond

Scarlett O'hara
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.