Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed and played this game. I enjoyed it overall.

"It’s a little fiddly with the suspicion chits. The ocean fills up very quickly." I would agree with this statement.

But yes, the cards are beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Mansfield
United States
Bellingham
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for very for taking the time to learn and play. Raider 16 is my first design; though I spent a long time thinking "someone should make a game about the merchant raiders" it took the solo design contest last year to move me to action. Since then I've been thinking about fixing it up (I went round and round with different combat mechanics, including pairs of dice, using D4 through D12 in different situations, all sorts of ideas that never came together nicely) but may just end up designing a whole new game.

One of the elements missing from the game but present in many of the original accounts is the tense drama of taking an enemy ship. There were many moments when Atlantis would approach a ship which would suddenly behave strangely; was this an AMC in disguise? Was the Allied captain sufficiently suspicious to begin transmitting? Were there RN vessels in the area that would come to the rescue? In several cases, the odd behavior had nothing to do with suspicion: in one case the captain of a Norwegian ship saw the Atlantis approach disguised as a Norwegian vessel and thought it would be fun to race his [not quite] countrymen, leaving Captain Rogge guessing if he was being led into a trap.

I have a few ideas for mechanics that would allow this drama to play out - maybe for next year's solo game design contest?

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Danison
United States
Cape Canaveral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this one. More interesting combat system would indeed be a nice touch. Perhaps a chance to torpedo an enemy light cruiser?
"Standing by to stand by, Sir" I say to Captain Mansfield!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Review! After playing it just once I feel you really hit the nail on the head. I agree that some of the best parts of the game is the code breaking. There is probably an element of deck management as some cards get removed without being destroyed as ships, like the Prize Crews and Change Disguise.

As for it being published, I definitely believe it is worthy.

One gameplay question (if anyone is still reading this). Can Royal Navy forces be placed when there are only QQQ and ? Suspicion markers on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.