Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Gate of Doom opens, if one of the Heroes has a scroll of Magic Arrow (the treasure card that deals 1 wound to a monster up to 10 spaces away), the Heroes have already won.

All they have to do is approach the Ritual Chamber and use the scroll on the egg. The egg's demon inmunity doesn't work because it's an effect that deals wounds, and even if the egg can parry an attack, treasure card effects cannot be parried. So, the scroll can kill the egg instantly from a very long distance, and the monsters can't protect the egg because the arrow does not need line of sight.

I find this endgame very anticlimatic, so I wondered if I missed some rule that prevents that scroll from killing the egg so easily.

Meanwhile, we have houseruled that the scroll cannot be used on the egg from the outside of the Gate of Doom.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tlustak
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes the scroll of magic arrow is a very strong weapon against Koschei and his egg. But I think you missed one point. An that is that you can't target creatures "Shielded" by other creatures. So the DK can easily counter this card by placing one creature in front of the gate. Now the creature must be killed in order for the scroll to be able to hit the egg.

Spells do not have to have a direct line like archers, but they cannot be targeted on "second line creatures"

Example: You have a line of 3 creatures in a tight corridor (Zombie, Skeleton, Gorgona, and you have the Magic arrow scroll.Even if the range of the arrow is 10 spaces, you can not hit the Skeleton and the gorgona, because they are behind the Zombie.
You could eventually hit the Gorgona with the arrow, if you send it around and into her back (if the range would be enought) but the skeleton would be safe from the arrow at all time.

Bassically, you can't send a spell "over" a creature, you have to send it "around" it. And if there is no way around the creature, all the creatures behind it are safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheez burger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave_Jame wrote:
Yes the scroll of magic arrow is a very strong weapon against Koschei and his egg. But I think you missed one point. An that is that you can't target creatures "Shielded" by other creatures. So the DK can easily counter this card by placing one creature in front of the gate. Now the creature must be killed in order for the scroll to be able to hit the egg.

Spells do not have to have a direct line like archers, but they cannot be targeted on "second line creatures"

Example: You have a line of 3 creatures in a tight corridor (Zombie, Skeleton, Gorgona, and you have the Magic arrow scroll.Even if the range of the arrow is 10 spaces, you can not hit the Skeleton and the gorgona, because they are behind the Zombie.
You could eventually hit the Gorgona with the arrow, if you send it around and into her back (if the range would be enought) but the skeleton would be safe from the arrow at all time.

Bassically, you can't send a spell "over" a creature, you have to send it "around" it. And if there is no way around the creature, all the creatures behind it are safe.

from dorn official faq at http://dorn.cz/faq.htm , translated in english for me by jan alatir kozak, one of dorn authors:

>MŮŽE SVITEK MAGICKÉ ŠIPKY ZASÁHNOUT NESTVŮRU, I KDYŽ JE KRYTÁ ZA OSTATNÍMI NESTVŮRAMI?

Ano, narozdíl od standardních kouzel je možné tento svitek takto použít.<

translation:

>CAN THE SCROLL OF THE MAGIC MISSILE HIT A MONSTER EVEN IF IT IS HIDING BEHIND OTHER MONSTERS?
Yes, in contrast to standard spells this scroll can be used like this.<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.