Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I need to get this off my chest.. I HATE this rulebook. OK, I feel better.

Here are my questions:

1) What are the broken railroad/stripped tokens for? I can't find anything about them in the rulebook.

2) Why does it include 3 copies of each leader? Do you need more than 1 each?

3) Why are there more copies than needed of the confederate border state militia infantry pieces? Do you need more than 3?

4) Why are there more copies of the foreign support armies than needed? (I am sensing a trend here..)

5) Are you allowed to do multiple sea invasions as the union player if you rolled a 6 for the march rule? The reason I ask is because if 1 lone unit is making a sea invasion, it can be extremely difficult to survive a battle much less the intrinsic sea battery with 1 unit without getting routed or worse die due to hits or desertion.

6) Are leaders allowed to be moved at the end or the beginning of your turn?

This is all I can think of last night. My girlfriend and I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit. We really liked the Mayfair components although I could've used the morale table printed somewhere on the player aid, as well as the border state table. The rulebook is atrocious though. I really can't stand when rulebooks have info all over the place, making it hard for me to pay attention to what I'm reading. Throw in a ton of optional rules and optional advanced rules, and I must say getting into this game was a bit difficult. Also, 60 minutes playtime?! Yeah right!

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played AHD many times, (Phalanx version), and I have no idea what you are talking about laugh

Not knowing how many "extras" you have, it sounds like you got more counters than you need. Three of each leader doesn't make a lick of sense. If you understand the concepts of promotion and recruitment properly, (where you would have a bunch of units in your pool to be recruited), and still think you have too many, you probably do.

Not having the Mayfair rules, I can't say if they have one, but compare against the component list?

1) No idea, don't know what optional rule might be used for those. Maybe just to show the bounds of where each sides rail net are at any given time?

5) If you roll a 6 the union can make one sea invasion on a turn. That one invasion may involve more than one unit however.

6) I think leaders can move whenever, including with an army's march. That's an optional for the Phalanx version, and I haven't used them in a few games so can't recall all the details of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
My copy hasn't arrived yet, but from some photos someone put on Facebook, it looks to me like the game has three sets of the same counter sheet, hence the 3X leaders, etc...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I have played AHD many times, (Phalanx version), and I have no idea what you are talking about laugh

Not knowing how many "extras" you have, it sounds like you got more counters than you need. Three of each leader doesn't make a lick of sense. If you understand the concepts of promotion and recruitment properly, (where you would have a bunch of units in your pool to be recruited), and still think you have too many, you probably do.

Not having the Mayfair rules, I can't say if they have one, but compare against the component list?

1) No idea, don't know what optional rule might be used for those. Maybe just to show the bounds of where each sides rail net are at any given time?

5) If you roll a 6 the union can make one sea invasion on a turn. That one invasion may involve more than one unit however.

6) I think leaders can move whenever, including with an army's march. That's an optional for the Phalanx version, and I haven't used them in a few games so can't recall all the details of them.

There is no component list in the box. The good news is I have all the pieces needed to play the game. But then I have some that aren't explained and more that I don't think I need. It just makes you think something is being played incorrectly.

On your answer to #5) This is what the mayfair rules say regarding naval invasions:

"If the Union Player rolls a '6' for marches at the beginning of his movement phase, he may use naval invasion movement that turn. Naval invasion movement is conducted like sea movement, except:

-The moving unit must start the movement phase in Washington DC.

-The moving unit may move directly to any other port box currently controlled by the Confederate player.

-If the port box is empty, the moving unit(s) may freely occupy it.

-If Confederate units are in that port box, a battle must be fought in the ensuing Union combat phase."

Now, if you look at the first paragraph, it says that the union player may make naval invasion sea movement. It does not say the player may make ONE or A naval invasion sea movement. Are you sure you can make only 1 naval invasion sea movement, and to only one port? This is all it says in the rulebook regarding naval invasions. The other thing that confuses me is that bullet point 1 and 2 refer to a single unit moving, whereas bullet point 3 refers to one or more.

Regarding your answer to question 6:

Leaders can make a free non march per turn, as well as piggy back on units. There are fairly concise rules on how these happen. However, you are allowed to redeploy them.

It says in the rulebook: (This is what it says word for word. I know this is a grammatically incorrect statement that doesn't make much sense.)

" A leader can be removed from the map at any time and relocated to any box with a friendly unit at the end the next player segment."

I am still trying to figure out what that means. We played that at the end of your turn you could redeploy leaders, but I am not sure. And if it meant to say at the end OF the next player segment, isn't that the same as saying the beginning of your next turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "broken rail" tiles are for those who want to play an optional 1st edition AHD rule (not included in our game, but included for those who might want to replicate the old option).

Note the line in the Base rules summary (and its expanded brother on page 3, first para under "Setting Up" in the main rulebook): "Additional units are included in AHD for use with Advanced rules, the optional rules and variants." Some of these do not exist yet; in any event, the rules also state "...you do not use all of the components included in AHD. Leave the unspecified units in the box."

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Sesser
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the same thing going on here as well in AHD by mayfair, 3 of each general and no turn marker, if there's a turn marker I can't find it. Extra units and pieces for no good reason really. I played the game, it has enough components to play the basic version, don't know about any of the advance scenarios and stuff yet but I don't know why they would do 3 complete exact counter sheets all the same for a game with nothing different on any of them, I thought that was strange before punching them out but hoped it was suppose to be that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The turn marker is the double-sided tile with the Union and Confederate symbols (see page 13 of the rulebook, in the right margin). Hopefully, you do have that...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonso Zamora
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:

Leaders can make a free non march per turn, as well as piggy back on units. There are fairly concise rules on how these happen. However, you are allowed to redeploy them.

" A leader can be removed from the map at any time and relocated to any box with a friendly unit at the end the next player segment."

means you play one segment without leader, (opposite player segment) and then you relocate in the other part of the map when you need is necesary for battle or morale.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
The turn marker is the double-sided tile with the Union and Confederate symbols (see page 13 of the rulebook, in the right margin). Hopefully, you do have that...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thanks for this! I just started setting things up and the i.d. of the turn marker threw me for a loop as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Voyer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcmoore4 wrote:
AlexYeager wrote:

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thanks for this! I just started setting things up and the i.d. of the turn marker threw me for a loop as well.

Lol me too I spent 10 mins looking everywhere for a unique turn marker, only to realize once understanding the rules, there's lots of useable turn markers. Nothing worse than feeling like there's a piece missing from your freshly punched game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.