Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Headline Phase & Permanent Events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First play & have a few questions.

1. What is the purpose of the headline phase? It doesn't seen to be any different than an event.

2. I notice that there are cards that are underlined titles (they aren't removed from the game), yet they all have an asterik which says they are to be removed if played as an event????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrecker wrote:
First play & have a few questions.

1. What is the purpose of the headline phase? It doesn't seen to be any different than an event.

2. I notice that there are cards that are underlined titles (they aren't removed from the game), yet they all have an asterik which says they are to be removed if played as an event????

The headline phase can be seen as a mandatory event round. Unlike action rounds, the card must be played as an event. It's a way to make each turn have at least two events occur.

The cards you mention are, I think, optional cards and are removed if played as an event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The headline phase is also simultaneous play - in effect, it gives the Soviet player a chance to play an event (in the headline phase) and then immediately take advantage of said event without the US player being able to react. Likewise, if the US sets something up on the last action round, they may be able to continue with it during the next headline phase before the USSR can react.

The headline phase also makes for much hilarity when both parties play events that reduce the DEFCON. Global thermonuclear warfare!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the underline means the card has a continuing effect. For example, NATO has an ongoing effect of preventing Soviet coups in US-controlled countries in Europe, so that card title should be underlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Cirone
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrecker wrote:
I notice that there are cards that are underlined titles (they aren't removed from the game), yet they all have an asterik which says they are to be removed if played as an event????

There are four possible situations:

1. No underline & No asterisk: card placed in discard pile.

2. No underline & Asterisk: card removed from game after played as event.

3. Underline & No asterisk: card remains on table (if played as an event) until a condition in the text of the event is met, at which point the card is placed in the discard pile.

4. Underline & Asterisk: card is removed from the deck after being played as an event, but it has a lasting effect that remains for the rest of the game. You can use a marker to indicate the effect or just leave the card out near the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrecker wrote:

And not to ignore the thematic link - each turn in TS is approximately 4 years of time, so the headline is a nod to theme and "this is what's important in the world according to the US|SR at this time".

Mechanically, if you have a great hand set to do things in Europe, it can set you up nicely (e.g. playing Chernobyl in the headline when you have East European Unrest and Europe Scoring in your hand) for the rest of the turn. Or it's a great chance for misdirection. "Ha ha, I Brush War you in Africa! Oh, and I'm really playing in South and Central America... let's see, Liberation Theology, Allende, Junta..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Robison
United States
EAGLE MOUNTAIN
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jayne Starlancer wrote:
Wrecker wrote:
I notice that there are cards that are underlined titles (they aren't removed from the game), yet they all have an asterik which says they are to be removed if played as an event????

4. Underline & Asterisk: card is removed from the deck after being played as an event, but it has a lasting effect that remains for the rest of the game. You can use a marker to indicate the effect or just leave the card out near the board.

Thank you! I was just about to start my first game with a friend and wanted to make sure I knew what this meant. You're a life saver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jablow
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you play in the Headline phase even if you are under the effect of Bear Trap or Quagmire.

Remember, the cards are played simultaneously, but the higher-value card goes first, with the US going first on a tie. This means that if you play Olympics (2) and your opponent plays a higher-valued card that reduces DEFCON to 2, you lose.

And, an event that gives OPS can be especially valuable. You can Coup a battleground with it and reduce DEFCON to protect a region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.