Travis Eberle
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own the excellent I'm the Boss! and Dragon's Gold. I've heard everything great about Chinatown, but do I need to have a third negotiation game in my collection? What does it offer that other games of this type don't have?

Cheers,
Travis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like negotiation games, you probably can't have too many. I like Chinatown alot, but the endgame can get hosed if playing with people that will calculate deals.

I recommend Genoa. Genoa is a GREAT negotiation game. IMO, a must have if you like negotiation games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cardshark28800 wrote:
I already own the excellent I'm the Boss! and Dragon's Gold. I've heard everything great about Chinatown, but do I need to have a third negotiation game in my collection? What does it offer that other games of this type don't have?

Cheers,
Travis

IMHO, Chinatown is the best. The negotiations at the endgmae are not a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a look at Junta and Junta: Viva el Presidente! if you like the idea to add a little bit of cutthroatness to your typical negotiation game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
If you like negotiation games, you probably can't have too many. I like Chinatown alot, but the endgame can get hosed if playing with people that will calculate deals.

I recommend Genoa. Genoa is a GREAT negotiation game. IMO, a must have if you like negotiation games.

Genoa is a great recommendation, but note that the negotiation aspect is at its best with the full complement of 5 players. Every player less than that decreases the negotiation intensity.

(We still really like the game even with just two players... but it's dramatically mellower than with 5 players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
remus wrote:

Genoa is a great recommendation, but note that the negotiation aspect is at its best with the full complement of 5 players. Every player less than that decreases the negotiation intensity.

(We still really like the game even with just two players... but it's dramatically mellower than with 5 players.)

I like Genoa with 4 or 5 and won't bother playing with less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will play Genoa with me 2-player, and then the heat gets turned way up on it with 4. I've never played with 5. Good recommendation, though.

Chinatown is more about luck of the draw to me. Genoa has cards, and draws, but I feel it ends up being more about what you do, and conning others into believing the value of the action they are doing is more than what it really is, while jealously guarding your own hidden info and passing it off as less valuable, which is definitely what a negotiation game should be about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Take a look at Quo Vadis?. More in common with I'm The Boss than Dragon's Gold, but not really like either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifeboats - Every decision/mechanic in the game is a negotiation + vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Junta. Needs a full complement of players - is hilarious fun with the right group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue. It offers pure evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chalk me up as someone else who thinks Chinatown is the king of negotiation games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
As many have said, Genoa is the best, definitely should be on your list.

Also I will second the recommendation Quo Vadis?. It's short and easy to teach, but it does have depth, too.

For a bit of more structured negotiation you also might try Santiago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Stern
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masters of Commerce is worth considering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
GabeS wrote:
Masters of Commerce is worth considering.

I really want to try that, especially with the other player having no vested interest in messing with each other, just in being more profitable than the other players together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Included in this conversation must be the old classic, Diplomacy, in which outcomes are completely dependent on your ability to negotiate yourself a non-aggression pact, an ally, or a peace treaty. It is, however, a multi-player, needing at least 5, but best with 6 or 7.

Then there's The Republic of Rome! This is a great interactive game where you are constantly having to make decisions for the greater good of the Republic, which may not necessarily be for the good of your senators. This is all done in debate with the other players who have their own greedy intentions, but who, like you, also need the Republic to be healthy. Best with 4 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions to which I'll throw in:

Intrigue (oop)
Mob Ties: The Board Game(oop)
Mall of Horror (oop) / City of Horror

Debatable but Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game might be worth a mention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might check out Top 10 Trading Games for some more ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Cywicki
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcatraz the Scapegoat

or my new game:

1984: Animal Farm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations, easily. In this game you have to negotiate or you're at the mercy of the market. Being at the mercy of the market limits your abilities as the more you buy, the more the price rises. And if you're not a production machine, you can't offer your produce at an extremely reasonable price to your competitors. Why would you do this? Because you're getting money for your products but don't drive the price down by selling to the market.... yet your competitors buy from you because you are offering your wares at a cheaper price...... it's so damn balanced and all the mechanics tie in so well with each other.

It's awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Wealth of Nations, easily. In this game you have to negotiate or you're at the mercy of the market. Being at the mercy of the market limits your abilities as the more you buy, the more the price rises. And if you're not a production machine, you can't offer your produce at an extremely reasonable price to your competitors, meaning you still get money for your products but don't drive the price down by selling to the market.

It's awesome.

I knew someone was going to chime in with this one.

WoN is not a negotiation game.

It's a trading game. The prices are pretty much set for most goods by the market, so there's very little wiggle room. Yeah, it's better to go outside the market, but you didn't negotiate the price. Or maybe other groups do negotiate, but it would slow the game way down to negotiate every little deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Jythier wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:
Wealth of Nations, easily. In this game you have to negotiate or you're at the mercy of the market. Being at the mercy of the market limits your abilities as the more you buy, the more the price rises. And if you're not a production machine, you can't offer your produce at an extremely reasonable price to your competitors, meaning you still get money for your products but don't drive the price down by selling to the market.

It's awesome.

I knew someone was going to chime in with this one.

WoN is not a negotiation game.

It's a trading game. The prices are pretty much set for most goods by the market, so there's very little wiggle room. Yeah, it's better to go outside the market, but you didn't negotiate the price. Or maybe other groups do negotiate, but it would slow the game way down to negotiate every little deal.

In my limited experience with WoN, the negotiation isn't over price as much as who your trading partners will be, and how much stuff (and sometimes board space) you will let them have, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I find there is more wiggle room. Granted most of the time you should stick with the suggested prices, but there are times when adjusting the price is called for. If someone really needs a resource and doesn't have enough to buy from the market, you can maybe bump up the price a couple dollars. Conversely, sometimes you can undercut the market sell-price because it's more worth it for you to keep it from dipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohnanza
Trade, trade, then trade some more. It's a lighter card game, but it's really fun and plays a lot of players well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of negotiation games, Santiago and Chinatown being two of my own personal favourites.

I just posted a new GeekList about negotiation games, and welcome your input and comments about your own favourites:

Negotiation Games: Your favourites and why

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.