Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Has anyone played FTL: Faster Than Light? This game is awesome! It's kind of a space-based rogue-like game where the goal is to fly your space ship through various different sectors of space in order to reach the federation fleet and warn them of the imminent attack by the rebels.

In the process, you encounter many other ships and have to micromanage your crew and ship in order to have a chance in combat. Warning, this game is incredibly addictive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've unlocked all but the Zoltan, Crystalline, and Slug ships. It is very addictive. I have to be careful before starting it because I will quickly eat 2 hours up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a little frustrated by it's randomness, but it is fun. I've completed one full run so far (on easy, of course).

It reminds me a bit of Battlestations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its an app?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
its an app?

It's a light-weight desktop application for Windows, Mac, or Linux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaky Ulnas
Canada
Steinbach
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Yet feet that wandering have gone
badge
Turn at last to home afar
mbmb
Love it! Unfortunately my rickety old laptop shuts down randomly while playing it. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it from GOG. I love roguelikes but I am rather meh about the game. Something just hasn't grabbed me. Seems way to random.

Also I wish you started out with more options. Can you imagine a roguelike where you only can play a human fighter and you have to unlock other classes?

I am currently addicted to Dungeons of Dredmor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
I got it from GOG. I love roguelikes but I am rather meh about the game. Something just hasn't grabbed me. Seems way to random.

Also I wish you started out with more options. Can you imagine a roguelike where you only can play a human fighter and you have to unlock other classes?

I am currently addicted to Dungeons of Dredmor...

I like the randomness of it. That's how a space sim should be! There are ways to mitigate the randomness though. Long-range scanners are a good start.

As for only starting with one ship, I think that that's a good way to do it so that players can get into the swing of things. If everything goes decently on your first play through then you should unlock at least one other ship. A few ships if you beat the game.

What I really like about this game is that the combat feels fresh and fun every time and it can turn into a real brain-burner if you're playing on normal and have to micromanage your ship's energy. Deciding whether or not to lock your captain into the cockpit and vent the airlocks in order to kill the boarding party (and the rest of your crew) is the kind of decision that happens often in this game and it makes it very challenging and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it.

Very enjoyable wee game that does what it does perfectly.

Mac User.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hooked for quite a few games, but it's getting harder and harder to want to start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, purchased/downloaded this a few days ago after reading about it in PCGamer - been pretty much playing it non-stop with my free time since then!

Got 3 ships unlocked, really bee enjoying this one!

I'll have to look for more roguelikes out there - I only recently heard the term (like, months ago) but every game I've heard described as 'roguelike' I've just loved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally beat it last night after about 10 games or so. It was my first run with the stealth ship and I got lucky and found shields quite early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a fun run today, kind of the same but from the other direction; started with the stock Kestral, but ended up buying a stealth enhancement early, and had a lot of fun with stealth, decent weapons, and decent shields. Still didn't beat the end, though - matter of fact, got stomped by the first fight (my previous best I managed to do better in the boss fight, but still have never won!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
I had a fun run today, kind of the same but from the other direction; started with the stock Kestral, but ended up buying a stealth enhancement early, and had a lot of fun with stealth, decent weapons, and decent shields. Still didn't beat the end, though - matter of fact, got stomped by the first fight (my previous best I managed to do better in the boss fight, but still have never won!)

I've never come close to winning without liberal use of teleporters and advanced scanners. Porting guys to the weapons on the flagship is an absolute must as far as I can tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

I've never come close to winning without liberal use of teleporters and advanced scanners. Porting guys to the weapons on the flagship is an absolute must as far as I can tell.

This is, indeed, how I got as far as I did on my one good run...

Boarders, away!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
jonnylawless wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

This is, indeed, how I got as far as I did on my one good run...

Boarders, away!!

Go for the missile launcher first, third weapon from the left. That sucker will tear you up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just make sure that you beam your boarding party off of the ship before it breaks apart... I lost my two fully-leveled Mantis guys last time. :(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
Just make sure that you beam your boarding party off of the ship before it breaks apart... I lost my two fully-leveled Mantis guys last time.

A couple bad experiences have made me form the "no-more-autofire-once-I've-got-a-boarding-party" rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
thermogimp wrote:
Just make sure that you beam your boarding party off of the ship before it breaks apart... I lost my two fully-leveled Mantis guys last time.

A couple bad experiences have made me form the "no-more-autofire-once-I've-got-a-boarding-party" rule.

You guys have just sold me on the game. It sounds awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is, really. $10 game, but I've already got tons of hours in it... Great value for the money.

Tell 'em Chit Chat sent ya!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

I'll have to look for more roguelikes out there - I only recently heard the term (like, months ago) but every game I've heard described as 'roguelike' I've just loved!

If you are new to roguelikes I highly suggest Dungeons of Dredmor. It has a nice GUI and a good sense of humor. I got it two months ago and have already spent over 120 hours on it blush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

If you are new to roguelikes I highly suggest Dungeons of Dredmor. It has a nice GUI and a good sense of humor. I got it two months ago and have already spent over 120 hours on it blush.

4.99? I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
If you are new to roguelikes I highly suggest Dungeons of Dredmor.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:

sirius23 wrote:
Dungeons of Dredmor

STOP RECOMMENDING AWESOMENESS! I DON'T HAVE TIME ENOUGH FOR THE GAMES THAT I HAVE.

Both of these sound so cool....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:

Downloaded it from Steam right after you all recommended it - looks like a lot of fun!

Finally made it to the flagship with an engi ship - and even made it to round 2 of the fight! (True, I had 1hp left and so died almost immedietly, but hey...)

Just can't keep the stealth ship alive long enough to do anything with it - all my money goes into repair, very little to upgrades, so I don't think I've gotten past like sector 5 with it. I keep trying, because it always seems right on the verge of greatness - and yet always seems to get blown to plasma just before I can get the scrap for that crucial upgrade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.