United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I'm still waiting for the game to arrive but in the meantime I've printed out the online rules and begun adding the errata to it. Whilst doing this I noticed something odd about Emissaries "Collecting Gold".

As I understand it, you can discard an Emissary in an "Enemy" province to "collect gold" equal to the rating of the province, which represents "trade" rather than trying to subvert or control the province through an "Intrigue" contest.

All that sounds fine, but why "Enemy" provinces in particular? I would have thought provinces allied to an enemy would not wish to or might not be permitted to trade, à la Napoleon's "Continental System". "Neutral" provinces on the other hand would presumably be happy to trade with anyone.

Would it damage the game much if the "collect gold" action was only eligible in "Neutral" provinces rather than "Enemy" ones, or was eligible in BOTH "Neutral" and "Enemy" provinces?

I realise one should not tinker with rules unnecessarily but the "trade" explanation seems odd as it only targets "Enemy" provinces, who one would expect to be the last ones to want to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for your reply Adrian. OK, maybe it is not wise to change the rule, but the "trade" explanation just seems pretty lame to me. I guess I will just have to wait and see how it plays out in an actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.