Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

My first base game won't arrive until next week, so I have to ask what you all use for asteroids to use in your battles?

I keep reading a lot about using asteroids for cover and so on, so I wonder if the rules for asteroids are in the core rules?

Are there tokens for asteroids in the base game or do you all use stones or something like that as a proxy?

Please tell, I am just painting up my spacey game board and want to stack up on asteroids before my base game arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with rules for asteroids and six asteroid tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game comes with six variously-sized asteroid tokens (this is the maximum number allowed in tournament games).

If you do make three dimensional asteroids, bear in mind that they would not be tournament legal. Additionally, it is important that ships be able to end their movement overlapping asteroids (tokens are clearly better suited here), so make sure the base of your asteroid can be overlapped by the base of a fighter without the asteroid model and the ship model preventing such an overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are in the core rules that you can download and you get asteroid markers in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, so I don't have to come up with asteroids beside my game board, too.

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to, but I certainly plan to

In our monster game last Friday, one TIE Fighter was destroyed because of its Academy Pilot that didn't see the asteroid it was about to fly into - wouldn't have happened with something more three dimensional
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kirchin
Canada
flag msg tools
I find rocks in the local stream and dry them off they look alot better then 2d cardboard hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
You don't have to, but I certainly plan to

In our monster game last Friday, one TIE Fighter was destroyed because of its Academy Pilot that didn't see the asteroid it was about to fly into - wouldn't have happened with something more three dimensional

Yeah, I've found that with everything else on the table (models, dice, range finder, movement guides, manuever wheels, tokens, etc..) that those pesky asteroids can kind of blend into the background and be forgotten. More than once I've had a tie fighter just fly into an asteroid for no reason other than stupidity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about some lava rocks from a lawn and garden store
I like the stream rocks too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I made some easy/cheap asteroids by grabbing lava rocks and spray painting them brown. Stick them on clear litko flight stands and they work great. To keep things "legal", we put the asteroid token on the map and put the 3D asteroid/stand on top. When a ship looks like it will move over the asteroid, its simple to just move the 3D to the side, finish the move, and put the asteroid back.

Even if you don't want to paint the lava rocks, you'll want to seal them as they will eventually leave a bunch of dust on your table/mat/what-have-you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.