Hide
6 Posts

Clash of Monarchs» Forums » General

Subject: Berlin Should Have A Fortress Symbol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Sprat
msg tools
I hate to say this, but after looking around on the internet for info on fortresses on one of my own games, I discovered a map of Berlin in 1737 which shows it clearly had fortifications surrounding it. Spandau was just a few km outside of the city. But I am amazed that Berlin has been neglected like this in the game. I have tried to post the image in the general game images because I don't know how to attach it to this posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Everett
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-
Didn't the Russians capture Berlin during the war? Perhaps that's why Berlin doesn't have fortress status.

-Donald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only did they capture it, it was done by a raid, not an assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack,

Spandau is a separate small fortress, to the west of the city in the game map. Per Duffy and several other writers, actual city defenses were minimal, and both the Aus and Russ walked right in on raids during the war. Gamewise, if the actual city space were fortified, there's no other way Coal raids could get into the city. So per the history, and the game, the Coal can walk right in, if they're willing to run the gauntlet getting back out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bobkalinowski wrote:
Jack,

Spandau is a separate small fortress, to the west of the city in the game map. Per Duffy and several other writers, actual city defenses were minimal, and both the Aus and Russ walked right in on raids during the war. Gamewise, if the actual city space were fortified, there's no other way Coal raids could get into the city. So per the history, and the game, the Coal can walk right in, if they're willing to run the gauntlet getting back out.

What Bob is referring to is commonly called the "Spandau Ballet"

ta-dum (i'll be here _all_ week)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob kalinowski
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses, they're working hard for you! laughkiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.